1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. stiffrhythms

stiffrhythms Senior Member

Oh and I should mention I guess that the ones I've been considering have been Sam Wazin, who seems highly recommended, and Peter Field, whose website includes pricing for many difficult alterations, including rebalancing and lapel alterations.

2. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Distinguished Member

What neighborhood are you in?

I used to go to Ardian tailor in meatpacking. I heard he was a genius with clothes, and he always did great work for me. Full disclosure though - the most complicated thing he did for me was bring some pants in. He's also a bit slow, all left-brain oriented. Did great work but missed deadlines often. If you need something done by a certain date you need to call him a few times and remind him.

In Williamsburg I use Arthur at Chasing Tailor. He's a hippie who lives in a loft beneath the Marcy stop on the JMZ, probably been there for 20 years or so. Works out of his apartment. Does good, timely work at a fair price, but he's a bit of a space cadet.

For special alterations, older members of my family go to Leonard Logsdail. He's supposed to be amazing but is very expensive.

3. stiffrhythms

stiffrhythms Senior Member

Thanks - I've used Arthur in the past. Nice guy and we got a long well, but I wasn't quite sure if he was up to the more difficult tasks that would involve lapels, shoulders, etc.

I didn't know Leonard Logsdail did alterations. Might that be only for existing bespoke clients?

4. Mariokartfever

Yeah I'm in the same boat on Arthur. He's brought in a jacket or two for me and they turned out good, but nothing to the level of what you're asking.

Not sure about LL - he's a family friend we've known for a while (belongs to our local parish) so he might just be doing favors.

5. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

LL did alteration for Eredi Pisano at some point? Don’t think that’s the case anymore though

6. Funcheese

Funcheese Senior Member

Does anyone have experience with Geneva Shirts?

I've tried all the online "custom" options, some better than others.

I've tried several MTM shirts from Epaulet x Individualized which are much better quality construction but still not fitting great.

I have a client who swears by Geneva and this is a guy whose suits are all Saville Row bespoke and has experience with other custom shirt makers from London. He also has closets of clothes he's never worn so I'm taking his opinion with grain of salt.

7. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

By reputation, Geneva is supposed to be the best shirtmaker in NYC. I have never used them since I chose to play the visiting shirtmaker roulette (Italy/Spain/UK/France). But if I had to do it all over, I would have just used them.

Do a search on SF. Geneva shirts have been discussed at length in the past.

I have had a couple of MTM shirts from the Epaulet x IS program. There is a limit to what they can do fit wise and also the fabric selection is very minimal (inadequate really). They are good shirts for the money if you can get a decent fit. The first shirt I received did not fit that well (measured in-store). On my second attempt, I was measured by one of the IS guys and he did a much better job in fitting me. I would order again if I found fabrics that I like and could use.

8. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Have you considered Ascot Chang?

9. Funcheese

Funcheese Senior Member

I haven’t, and I understand there are other notable shirt makers in NYC, I’m interested here in Geneva and peoples experiences with them.

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

No love for the shirtmaker who hs been answering shirt questions on styleforum for 15 years.

Geneva makes an excellent shirt.
    I have a better selection of fabric.

Ascot Chang, also makes an excellent shirt.
    Their prices have increased considerably in the last few years.

11. Mariokartfever

While this is on topic: does anyone have rough price points for custom NYC shirtmakers?

I've been buying Kamakura shirts at $79 a pop for the last few years and have been very satisfied, but sometimes I get curious if I'm missing out.

12. Funcheese

Funcheese Senior Member

If you’re satisfied with fit of Kamakura then the only reason to try custom would be for fabric variety and style options not offered by Kamakura.

Rough price points: $150 and up with potential minimums (must order multiple shirts) depending on maker.

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Would love to see fit pics from others that used Carl.

14. Shirtmaven

I have never seen a Kamakura custom shirt. the Ready made shirt is well made. Under priced. the opening price should be at least $125

15. Shirtmaven

there are a few on my instagram cegonyc