• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Goodman

Reaction score
I've used Cardelino for a while and I'm always satisfied. About a month ago I had him shorten a suit jacket by about an inch in length as well as alter a suit and hem a bunch of pants. I have no issues with him wanting to give me a full break. His style is definitely SF approved. I just ask for a hint of break and that is what I get. In fact the one time I had him redo something was a pair of trousers that came out a touch to short and he corrected at no charge and couldn't have been nicer about it. His prices are pretty reasonable too.

garsag

Reaction score
I think I asked this before, but don't think I really got an answer. Are there any recommendable tailors in SoHo or nearby areas? I'm just looking for someone to hem some pants for me.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I asked this before, but don't think I really got an answer. Are there any recommendable tailors in SoHo or nearby areas? I'm just looking for someone to hem some pants for me.

LNC Tailor on Baxter Street in Chinatown. He's got capacity - I dropped off two suits and two pairs of pants with him last Friday and he quoted a one week turnaround.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
I never followed though—I took some stuff to Pierre and he did a great job all around (and the mothball smell is definitely bearable).

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on LNC's buttonholes? Neat, pretty or better to be avoided?

PSNY

Reaction score
Are there any tailors in NYC in the $3-$4k range that are on par with someone like Despos out of Chicago / Dallas? Also, who else in NYC is comparable to the likes of Leonard Logsdail?

marveldcimage

Reaction score
Are there any tailors in NYC in the $3-$4k range that are on par with someone like Despos out of Chicago / Dallas? Also, who else in NYC is comparable to the likes of Leonard Logsdail?
You should go to Pierre of Paris in midtown who are not only in your price range but surpasses those other tailors you mentioned in terms of talent. I first found out about Pierre from an article from the NYSun here is the link http://www.nysun.com/style/dapper-in-the-details/45691/ and here is Pierre's website for contact information. https://sites.google.com/site/pierretailoring/. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Pierre of Paris compare against Cardelino?

I haven't used either.

Assume more complicated work like shortening sleeves from the shoulder, altering sleeve pitch, or shortening the jacket itself without throwing balance off.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quiglejm

Reaction score
I just had several items tailored at Pierre of Paris and wanted to share my experience.

Pierre is a charming man. He takes great care of you and makes sure that the garments you take to him turn out exactly how you want them. For this great service, he does charge quite a bit. While I'm happy with all of his work, his alterations in some instances cost almost as much as the original garment (Brooks Brothers & Benjamin trousers + Burberry blazer). I will note that I did not ask him about pricing up front. I'd thus suggest using him strategically for higher end items for which a terrific fit is essential.

Oh, and on the mothballs, I honestly am not sure what folks are talking about. Maybe I have no sense of smell, but I didn't notice a thing.

marveldcimage

Reaction score
That blazer on the site looks a real mess.

No offense but the blazer on Pierre's website is a Google image he used for his website. His tailor shop looks nothing like that (no exposed pipes, etc.)

I asked him about his website and told him about the forum and he was amused. He is old school and is not internet savvy and his son created the website just so Pierre can have someplace to direct people for telephone, etc.

He also does movie/theatrical works - like making military uniforms from WW2 for television so he tries not to leak pictures of stars wearing his work because he wants to preserve their privacy but his shop has pictures of celebrities wearing his work all over his shop.

As for me, I am a short guy and that means sleeves are always long on me and no tailor would ever fix those right or do it in a way that was not a mess except for Pierre and his wife (no one can sew on buttons like Pierre's wife can either - all items I but will have their buttons re-sewn on by hand by Pierre's wife because they won't come off that way for sure). What Pierre does with sleeves on suits - no one and I mean no one I know of in New York City can do that them correctly.

I have been going to tailors not because I was a clothes horse but being a short man I needed correct fitting clothing that can't be found off the shelf for my size. Before Pierre no on could do sleeves on my suits (pants seem easy because I never had problems with getting them hemmed) but sleeves is where I see the talent of the tailor applied and Pierre is it for me. I wish I could afford a bespoke suit experience and until I can I have to get them altered but he does so much re-work to conform to my body type it may as well be bespoke for me.

PS: Is this forum a good place to discuss shoes? I buy height extending shoes from RichLee shoes online that add heights and I don't really know any others like this in New York City. Any help in finding such a shoe store in New York would be appreciated.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No offense but the blazer on Pierre's website is a Google image he used for his website. His tailor shop looks nothing like that (no exposed pipes, etc.)

I asked him about his website and told him about the forum and he was amused. He is old school and is not internet savvy and his son created the website just so Pierre can have someplace to direct people for telephone, etc.

He also does movie/theatrical works - like making military uniforms from WW2 for television so he tries not to leak pictures of stars wearing his work because he wants to preserve their privacy but his shop has pictures of celebrities wearing his work all over his shop.

As for me, I am a short guy and that means sleeves are always long on me and no tailor would ever fix those right or do it in a way that was not a mess except for Pierre and his wife (no one can sew on buttons like Pierre's wife can either - all items I but will have their buttons re-sewn on by hand by Pierre's wife because they won't come off that way for sure). What Pierre does with sleeves on suits - no one and I mean no one I know of in New York City can do that them correctly.

I have been going to tailors not because I was a clothes horse but being a short man I needed correct fitting clothing that can't be found off the shelf for my size. Before Pierre no on could do sleeves on my suits (pants seem easy because I never had problems with getting them hemmed) but sleeves is where I see the talent of the tailor applied and Pierre is it for me. I wish I could afford a bespoke suit experience and until I can I have to get them altered but he does so much re-work to conform to my body type it may as well be bespoke for me.

PS: Is this forum a good place to discuss shoes? I buy height extending shoes from RichLee shoes online that add heights and I don't really know any others like this in New York City. Any help in finding such a shoe store in New York would be appreciated.

Non taken, and I'm not trying to be belligerent or bring the guy down.

My Internet presence isn't the slickest but I just think putting something up like that shows a lack of pride and aesthetic. Most of my stuff is shot on iPhone these days and it's always all my own pieces, I think in this day and age he's hurting himself by using google images of a rough looking blazer to advertise. Unless of course he really doesn't care which is probably not a good thing for him either.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something makes me feel uncomfortable about a few of the Pierre reviews on here. I will leave it at that because it's only a feeling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads