• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How long ago was that?

This is from their website, in regard to the bespoke option:

The Paul Stuart Custom silhouette, or "house style," is based on an iconic jacket design invented over eighty years ago on Savile Row by the personal tailor to the Duke of Windsor. The cut is defined by lightly padded shoulders, high armholes, a slightly generous sleeve at the bicep, draped chest and blade, and definition at the waist. Softly constructed for ease of movement, the overall effect was to provide a masculine, athletic appearance.

Who wants a generous bicep and draped blade these days?

Ennius

Reaction score
Has anyone here gotten bespoke garments done by PoP?

I would love to hear how they came out...

MistahBates

Reaction score
Does anyone know what range LNC charges to make shirts these days? And has anyone had any shirts made by Mr. Chiu? If so, how did they turn out?

TC11201

Reaction score

Does anyone know what range LNC charges to make shirts these days? And has anyone had any shirts made by Mr. Chiu? If so, how did they turn out?

LNC doesn't make shirts. He often won't even alter shirts. He does do sport coats, suits, pants (pants are a very good deal, btw). Try CEGO, Geneva, Paris Custom, traveling tailors, MTM at lots of places, etc.

MistahBates

Reaction score
Thanks. I was asking about LNC because he's usually closer to my price range than what I would pay for CEGO, Paris, etc. FYI, his current "non-Asian" rate for hemming seems to be $8/pair. At least that's what he charged me on Sunday. But I shook his hand and asked him his name, so maybe that's enough to get the "Asian discount."

TC11201

Reaction score

Thanks. I was asking about LNC because he's usually closer to my price range than what I would pay for CEGO, Paris, etc. FYI, his current "non-Asian" rate for hemming seems to be $8/pair. At least that's what he charged me on Sunday. But I shook his hand and asked him his name, so maybe that's enough to get the "Asian discount."

I hear you - he's one of the better bargains out there. That said, I've been going to him for alterations and the occasional bespoke piece since 1998 (when he was with his former partner) and don't recall him ever making shirts. I could just have missed it way back when, but I think I inquired once years ago and was told that he did not do that work. He used to be willing to alter them, but I understand from others that he is no longer doing that. At this stage, I think he's really focused on just taking in work he likes to do as he has a grandchild who he spends time with and I think is sort of easing into retirement.

BTW, I think cops, DAs and court officers also get special pricing...

MistahBates

Reaction score
Haha, I'm not a cop or a lawyer. What's his rate for trousers? Is it still $80, as per an earlier post in this thread? If so, I'm definitely considering having some linen made up for summer. Last one was a nightmare, even in tropical wool.

MistahBates

Reaction score
Jus talked to Mr. LNC (his name is Chiu, by the way, but I can't say if that's his first or last name. His business card reads Man Chit Chiu.)

His trousers are $120 CMT, $200 if he provides the cloth. Still doesn't do shirts.

TC11201

Reaction score

Jus talked to Mr. LNC (his name is Chiu, by the way, but I can't say if that's his first or last name. His business card reads Man Chit Chiu.)

His trousers are $120 CMT, $200 if he provides the cloth. Still doesn't do shirts.

Thanks and sorry I didn't reply - possibly could have saved you the trip to ask. I've had 5 or 6 pairs of pants done by him and they are all excellent. Perhaps not Solito, but then again, 1 Solito = 3.5 LNC. BTW, that price isn't far off the Asian price :)

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anybody that can tailor a leather jacket? i want to shorten some sleeves

MistahBates

Reaction score
Dunno, I don't have a leather jacket. Call some of the tailors listed in this thread and ask them.

v8 muscle

Reaction score
I went to LNC on Baxter street this past weekend. They must have jacked up their prices or maybe they're doing the old chinatown tricks trying to negotiate or something, but they said a suit starts at $1,000 using their fabric and $700 with my own fabric. I thought these guys were supposed to make trousers for like $80 and a jacket for $250 (not including fabric)

whats the deal?

edit: Saw the post above. Did you ask them what their suits would cost? seems like $120 + fabric for pants isnt too bad - but even that is still a far cry from $1000 for a suit

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I would trust an alterations tailor to make a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads