The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Great. I thought this thread was gone because of Great Crash MMVI.

2. Premier

Premier Well-Known Member

Any experience with Campos & Campos on west 14th street?

I recently went there to get one of my jeans shortened a bit. It costs me $25 and took them 9 days to do it and when I went to pick it up on the due date they where just starting to work on it. They left a loose stitching which my girlfriend fixed for me. Would I go there again, i dunno that's questionable..

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I am having the sleeves lengthened on a jacket at Wilfred's. They're also shanking the front buttons, as my dry-cleaner sewed them on poorly. Total cost: $45. More than I'd like to spend, but it's convenient for me. They say it'll take 6 days.

4. marc237

marc237 Senior member

One Wilfred observation is that time is aspirational in the extreme. Hence, sometimes the work is ready on time, sometimes not. No discernable pattern. Does not seem to be related to complexity of work or quantity of items dropped off. Accordingly, highly recommend calling and confirmed that work is FULLY DONE before going down.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Re: Cardelino: phone is 212 477 4654, address is 948 Broadway.

I stopped in, said hello. They seemed pleasant & I will try them soon.

6. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

this place is not too far from where i live - maybe i will entrust my new suit with them - i'll give an update when i get it back

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I picked up my coat from Wilfred's new shop this week. They did a very good job at lengthening the sleeve by an inch, and they did it on time. Cost was $45.

I called Cardelino and was quoted a price of $30. Has anyone here used them yet? Mack, Myles?

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I have a new pair of Borrelli pants that I need to have cut to a slimmer, european fit from their current american-type fit. It's shouldn't be more than an inch here and there and the NYC Borrelli boutique recommended I take them to Bhambi's. Has anyone had Bhambi's do this? I know they are highly thought of here but would be interested to hear about costs and results.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I haven't used them, but I would take the boutique's recommendation. This may be an easy alteration (I don't know), but it's certainly something you wouldn't want to go wrong.

10. von Rothbart

I have a new pair of Borrelli pants that I need to have cut to a slimmer, european fit from their current american-type fit. It's shouldn't be more than an inch here and there and the NYC Borrelli boutique recommended I take them to Bhambi's. Has anyone had Bhambi's do this? I know they are highly thought of here but would be interested to hear about costs and results.

My limited experience with them was very good but expensive. I'd recommend them. I'd take any recommendations that the Borrelli boutique gives out.

11. von Rothbart

Thinking this post vanished with the Great Crash XXVI, I started another thread on the same subject. Here's my repost from that thread summarizing alternation tailors that were mentioned here:

From what I can remember, the following tailors were mentioned in the past:

Alexi
    Bhambi
    Ignacio
    Campos & Campos
    Dynasty
    Peppino
    Wilfred's
    L&S

And how about the in-house tailors:

Bergdorf Goodman
    Barneys
    Saks
    Neiman Marcus
    Paul Stuart
    Polo Mansion

Alexi:
    On E77 between 2nd & 3rd I think. I've heard many good things about this tailor but I haven't tried him. He's a custom tailor also does alternation work. He seems to be the most promising in terms of quality. Don't know about the prices.

Bhambi:
    I had only one experience with them. Sleeves shortening with working button holes. I was extremely satisfied with their quality. The button holes are hand-sewn at $10 each, a good deal but they charged me $40 for shortening EACH sleeve!

Peppino:
    No experience with him, but the stories I heard in recent posts are very scary. Shutting side vents without instructing them to, uneven sleeve lengths and shortening sleeve too short with working button holes already put on.

Campos & Campos:
    On W13 can't remember the cross ave. No experience but I inquired their prices, very expensive.

Wilfred's:
    My experience with them are mixed from ok to very good. But with prices they are charging I am looking for someone with more consistent quality. One member mentioned they shortened sleeves from shoulder with very good result.

Dynasty:
    I don't anything about their quality and prices but member recommended them. I think they are in the high 30's around Madison.

L&S and Ignacio:
    No experience with them. In the same neighborhood as Peppino.

Neiman Marcus:
    No experience but very reasonable prices. They say they'll accept purchases from Last Call stores. I was told their main alternation opearation is in the Short Hills store and button holes are machine sewn.

Bergdorf Goodman:
    Very good. But only accept in-store purchases. If I could send everything to them I would.

Saks Flagship:
    No experience. Will accept purchases from Off 5th Ave. stores.

Barneys:
    No experience but their prices seem very reasonable. Machine sewn button holes. Would like to give them a try for my warehouse sale purchases.

Questions regarding in-house tailors. What if they botch an alternation job? Refunding your purchases?

12. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

FWIW - Tailor at Barneys recommended "Ros Tailoring" 987 Lex, between 71-72 (2nd Fl.) for fairly extensive contemplated work on an Italian tuxedo I was checking out. (Can't remember the name of the tux.)

He said he could not do the kind of work it needed, but this guy could, even gave me the card. Might be worth checking out. If anyone does, please let us know. Kind of far from my hood for a drive by....

13. Lino

Lino Senior member

the NYC Borrelli boutique recommended I take them to Bhambi's..

I got an Ermenegildo Zegna this weekend and the folks at the NYC Zegna store recommended Bhambi's to me as well.

14. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

There is a tailor named Cardalinos on Broadway between 22nd-23rd. Nice fellow.He has done afew things for me. He seems reasonable inpricing.

Tell him Carl The shirtmaker sent you.

Can Carl or anyone else provide some details on the type of work you've had done at Cardelino's? Has anyone else used him yet?

This location is convenient to me, so I'd like to take some stuff to him. Thanks.