1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'd rather him have mothballs in his shop than have his client's clothes eaten by moths.

2. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

PoP definitely has a mothball smell,

But he has clothing everywhere and tons of cloth that needs to be protected. I rather worry what it does to his health as opposed to it bothering me.

Would you rather be annoyed by a tailor doing a shitty job on your clothes or a residual mothball smell?

3. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

I'm headed there today regardless, I was just wondering so I can make sure that when I drop my stuff off they'll be ready before sunday and aren't sitting around for an extra day or two. It would be a pain to take a brand new pair of trou to a dry cleaner for odor removal, but it looks like I'll probably end up doing that anyway.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. Montauk

Montauk Senior member

It's been awhile since I perused or posted on this forum, but I wanted to help spread the word about Rory Duffy--the Henry Poole-trained winner of the 2009 Golden Shears Award on Savile Row who's hung his shingle in Brooklyn. He's making me my first bespoke commission--a 3B single-breasted sportcoat with box-pleated open patch pockets in a lightweight RAF blue flannel--and I'm filming the whole process in detail for a series of web videos I'll be posting soon. We just had the baste fit last week and it's absolutely gorgeous. Having trained at Poole, Rory cuts a classic Poole coat--close, fitted, and soft, with a generous and slightly roped sleeve head. The extent of drape is contingent not only on the customer's taste, but on his body and posture. Trousers are trim, side-tabbed, and fishtail brace-cut.

Aside from Len Logsdail, Rory is the only Row-trained master tailor working in NYC, and I'd like to help raise his profile enough to keep him here. He's passionate about his work, with a missionary zeal about raising awareness of handcraft tailoring, and young enough (30) to be that lifelong tailor we all dream of having. He's a great guy to boot, and I would recommend that any New Yorker considering going bespoke get in touch with him.

His website is: http://handcrafttailor.com/

5. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

I hear you but I still view it as a high class problem. I hung my pants from PoP up in the bathroom by the shower for a few days and they aired out pretty well...

Have you thought of getting bespoke anything from PoP?

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

From what I have heard PoP's custom suits go for, I'd go somewhere else.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Very cool. IIRC, he used to do work with David Reeves for a while. You should update us when the coat is done, would love to see pictures.

8. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Rory looks like the read deal.

Can you give us a ballpark sense of his pricing on bespoke suits?

Given his site says it takes at least 60 hour per suit, I assume it aint cheap.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

photos?

10. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

+1

11. killacam

killacam Active Member

anybody have any experience with windsor custom?

12. fjordan

fjordan New Member

I'd like to mention that I've had very good experiences with Cardelino recently. Juan at Cardelino on Broadway between 22nd and 23rd has done an excellent job for me altering several suits and jackets, including taking in and shortening suitcoats and slimming pants legs.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Took some stuff to Cardelino last week. Will report back on results. Admittedly, this was for simple stuff--shortening trousers, lengthening sleeves. So far, my experience has been positive--I will say he tends towards a quite full break, but once I showed him how I wanted the break, he was fine with it. Prices pretty good, assuming the quality of work is there.

Debating taking in a SC to have him remove a collar roll--anyone had him do work like this before?

14. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Pedro can do pretty much anything in terms of alterations.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Glad to hear it--will definitely give him a shot on the trickier stuff then.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  16. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Tailors here are starting to get used to no break, e.g., Leung, PoP.

I assume you mean a roll on the back underneath the collar? Any competent tailor should be able to handle that.

17. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Gents,

My sizing for shirts/sweaters consistently requires tailoring as I am L across the chest but M in the waist and sleeves. I have a tailor I like for shirts/trousers/coats (PoP).

I need someone that can work on shortening sweater sleeves - assuming that can be done. I dont like rolling up the sleeves as it looks sloppy and I probably need at least 1 inch taken out. It doesnt sound like he works on sweaters.

Has anyone had this done in NYC? Experience/Recommendations?

I hope I am not condemned to buying MTM/bespoke sweaters.....

18. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  19. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

Do you normally bring your own cloth? If so, where does one go about purchasing cloth!?

Thanks

20. MistahBates

MistahBates Member

Try Tip Top Fabrics in Greenpoint. Or shop around the Garment District.