• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

bijox

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nyc tailor that is good with getting that slimmer (slightly shorter) more modern suit look similar to our own Get Smart's (thickasthieves) fits. any recommendations?

I'm mostly looking for any good tailor recommendation that is located very close to or in the west village. Thanks in advance!

Yet123

Reaction score
Hey guys, is LNC still around and is he still doing good work? I've been thinking of going to him to get a pair of tuxedo pants slimmed down. Any idea how much this would cost?

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Depending on whether the crotch/butt area will need to be cut or not, I would estimate the charge to be around the $45-60 range.

I've recently had two pair of pants slimmed down at Wilfred's (23rd & 6th) and it cost about $90 per pair. They did a good job, but way overpriced in my opinion.

mintyfresh

Reaction score

I'm looking for a nyc tailor that is good with getting that slimmer (slightly shorter) more modern suit look similar to our own Get Smart's (thickasthieves) fits. any recommendations?I'm mostly looking for any good tailor recommendation that is located very close to or in the west village. Thanks in advance!

Saw this on a blog the other day, and thought it was interesting - esp at the price point.

Not fully custom.

http://www.suitsupply.com/

yossi

Reaction score
Just picked up two pairs of trousers from LNC. He took them both in a bit in the crotch and shortened one and charged me the unbelievably low price of $36. Total, for both! I don't consider myself enough of an expert to know how good the quality is, but I'll update after I've worn them a few times. They certainly look good to me.

I suspect the price is partly a reflection of it being a slow season for him. I think if I took pants in for the same thing in November it would be twice as much.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just picked up two pairs of trousers from LNC. He took them both in a bit in the crotch and shortened one and charged me the unbelievably low price of $36. Total, for both! I don't consider myself enough of an expert to know how good the quality is, but I'll update after I've worn them a few times. They certainly look good to me.

I suspect the price is partly a reflection of it being a slow season for him. I think if I took pants in for the same thing in November it would be twice as much.

then that a rip....good tailors should be consistent throughout the year!

yossi

Reaction score

then that a rip....good tailors should be consistent throughout the year!

To be clear, I'm just guessing that - I've never been to LNC before. I'm basing that solely on what I've read here.

Maybe he just liked the cut of my jib.

TC11201

Reaction score

To be clear, I'm just guessing that - I've never been to LNC before. I'm basing that solely on what I've read here.

Maybe he just liked the cut of my jib.

I've been going to LNC since the late 90s. Not sure where you got the idea that pricing varies - in my experience, it's really pretty consistent. He will give good customers a reduced rate or do some free work, but every good business rewards loyalty. I've probably taken 60+ articles of clothing to him (and to his former partner) and have never once felt cheated (if anything, I will often pay a little extra b/c he really ought to charge more) - workmanship is excellent and the pricing is very low for what you get. The one thing you definitely don't get is fancy surroundings - Chinatown basement - but I'm fine not paying for wood panelling.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with King's Custom Tailoring in Lower Man.? Did a search here and there is but one very brief thread with little info.

viator

Reaction score
Has anyone had Cardelino (the father) make anything for them?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not, but one member told me offline that he did and was not pleased.

gavspen

Reaction score

Without reading through this whole thing - other may have exhausted the subject - I just used Alexis to make fairly extensive alterations to two suits (sleeves shortened, waist suppression, pants narrowed and shortened, cuffed, waist taken in.) and found his work to be very good. At the pricey end I think (I havent much experience) but good work.

Kinda gauche to quote yourself I guess, but as a follow up, he charged $200 for these alterations. Was this reasonable or not, do we think?

From what I'm reading about LNC perhaps I'll try them next.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
That seems like a fair amount.

I just had two jackets taken in and sleeves shortened at LNC for $140. I wasn't as impressed with the outcome, but I am not terribly picky.

Last edited:

rjt65

Reaction score
Just time to get some new suits. was deciding what to do. First decided to go full canvas.....

Than after considering lots of avenues (Brooks top of line) mtm, which MTM, I decided to go with L&S (Izzy). Went in around 6-6:30 PM and what a great experience

went with Charcoal HF 130's.

Simply put a pleasurable experience. :slayer::slayer: Need another suit and will see how this turns out (asked about 2nd suit his immediate suggestion was to wait for #2---which is great advise and shows a best answer over making quick 2 suit sale.)

I feel the beginning of a great tailor relationship.... need some shirts, black slacks, another suit.........:D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads