The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Instead of wasting money on a "name" suit that doesn't fit. Why don't you pay as much or maybe slightly more and get a bespoke suit made to your tastes?

So because the sleeves need lengthening, he should go bespoke? Also, he probably didn't pay retail for the RLBL and Polo suits. Even if he did, bespoke in NYC is a hell of a lot more than the retail prices of those suits.

2. jasonsun

jasonsun Senior member

I need my Barneys suit to be retailored......(Wasit supression, collar lowered, minor sleeve length adjustment, wasit taken in on pants....) Any suggestions in NYC ????

I could go back to Barneys, but since the didn't do such a good job last time, was hoping to avoid that.

3. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

Anyone know the younger tailor's name from Cardelino's? I need to talk to him on the phone but don't want to be like uhhh... I need to talk to the younger Cardelino.

Kind of embarrassing as he knows me by my first name.

4. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Senior member

Instead of wasting money on a "name" suit that doesn't fit. Why don't you pay as much or maybe slightly more and get a bespoke suit made to your tastes?
    The price I paid for my Black Label suit was no where near the price of a bespoke suit. Anyway, I was able to have the sleeves lengthened as desired at the Polo mansion. However, I have some other things that need tailoring and they're all very precious items. If anyone could recommend some place that will definitely take me, let me know.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The price I paid for my Black Label suit was no where near the price of a bespoke suit. Anyway, I was able to have the sleeves lengthened as desired at the Polo mansion. However, I have some other things that need tailoring and they're all very precious items. If anyone could recommend some place that will definitely take me, let me know.

If there were an easy and risk-free answer to your question, this thread wouldn't be 16 pages.

[​IMG]

When I'm feeling risk-averse, I go to Wilfred.

6. jasonsun

jasonsun Senior member

I think i would pick a reputable tailor (Wilfred/Bhambi/Rahpael) and take your least expesen item and have them tailor it first, if you like the result, have them do more....

7. jasonsun

jasonsun Senior member

Anyone know the younger tailor's name from Cardelino's? I need to talk to him on the phone but don't want to be like uhhh... I need to talk to the younger Cardelino.

Kind of embarrassing as he knows me by my first name.

Do they do good work? I'm looking for someone who can take in the sides, bring in the shoulder and sleevs shorten on my shirts....

8. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

Do they do good work? I'm looking for someone who can take in the sides, bring in the shoulder and sleevs shorten on my shirts....

The younger tailor has done an incredible job on my shirts. All of the tailors I've gone to before have failed to cut my shirts slim enough. He listens to my feedback and the end result is damn near perfect. I should actually post some of my fits... they are really that good.

He's also very patient and doesn't care if I tinker with something like the break in my pants for a few minutes.

Also, Saks by far has the worst tailors I've ever encountered. I absolutely detest both their work and their attitude.

Oh.. and nobody knows his name?

9. Cordovan

Cordovan Senior member

I don't believe I saw them mentioned here. Yesterday I passed by a tailor on I think 23rd and Broadway (or maybe it was 5th). I didn't see a name on their door or awning. Has anyone heard of them/ used them?

Cordovan

10. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Senior member

I don't believe I saw them mentioned here. Yesterday I passed by a tailor on I think 23rd and Broadway (or maybe it was 5th). I didn't see a name on their door or awning. Has anyone heard of them/ used them?

Cordovan

I think you're speaking of Cardelino.

11. JordanB

JordanB Senior member

Cordovan

That was probably Cardelino. Broadway between 22nd and 23rd on the east side.

12. Cordovan

Cordovan Senior member

Thanks folks.

What are his prices like?

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Competitive. They do good work and are pleasant to work with.

14. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

Thanks folks.

What are his prices like?

$20 for sleeves, $20 to take in the sides which includes the arms / arm hole, $10 for darts.

They do an excellent, excellent job in taking in the sides.. especially for lean / muscular types.

$12 for hems and I think $15 to slim a pair of pants (not positive on this one).

They will also do something over if you are unsatisfied with it and sometimes you get bulk discounts. I drop off five things a week, pretty much every week (wardrobe change) and have only had them re-do one thing... which was probably at least partially my fault (didn't shorten pant leg enough, easily fixed).

15. hugene

hugene Member

I've had terrible results with Saks. They don't really listen to what you want to do and they take as long as a month to get your alterations done.