• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Hi , I have a decent size client base and looking to expand and find a new tailor to work with in China for mtm suits full canvas as well as accessories and leather goods. Shipping would be to the us. Any suggestions would be great as well as different options.

You are referred to the bilingual page compiled by @PekingRoadHK
http://suitcmt.blogspot.com/

In particular, the section on Mainland China makers. Note that there is no MTM workshop in HK, so whoever taking your MTM order at the free port must be passing them to Mainland China for eventual manufacture. You will need a mechanism to handle China customs (e.g. fabric import and returned garments).

There is no doubt that good suits can be made in China. Just look at SuitSupply.

Last but not least, some links randomly found online:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...m=a2700.7724857.normalList.133.7af510a68sQRW6

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=573607267860

(this list would be endless... but we are certain it would be out of the realms of "HK Tailoring")

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone have experience with Allan Tom?

If not, any other suggestions for HK tailors in the half-canvassed/two-piece/house wool for <$4000 price range, other than Lee Baron?

Thanks.

It depends on your style preference and physique.

For this price range, the suggestions you can solicit online would fall into three categories:

1. Traditional tourist-oriented tailors: Raja, Nita, Rahman, L&K...
- These shops employ the most number of low-cost makers in HK and would be able to deliver as quickly as within 48 hours
- Quality would be slightly lower than Lee Baron for most. But if you ask skillfully the quality will go up without significant increase in price (like fused could magically become half-canvassed, half-canvassed could magically become full-canvassed; pick-stitching suddenly becomes free; buttonholes become handmade).
- With these shops it is important to be able to negotiate a deal. If they quote HKD 10000 for a Zegna Tropical 2-pc, chances are you can negotiate to HKD 5000.

2. Young shops targetting locals: Fascino, 852 Tailor House...
- These shops target college students and young graduates who need a suit for attending important social events
- Most of the proprietors have better fashion sense, and they are more open about the authenticity of their fabric (e.g. they would openly tell you their house wool is "Asian made", not trying to claim a polyester-wool mix as "50% cashmere 45% Super 180S made in France". Pricing is also more transparent, say, even if you are a repeat customer they may only be able to offer a 10-20% discount or a free shirt.
- With these shops, it is important to accept the fact that the onsite staff may not be the most experienced to handle complex fitting issues, and shops could be reluctant to bring in the Sifu (the tailor behind the scene) because each would like to protect their "trade secret" (e.g. what workshop they use, how much they pay the maker).

3. Mirador workshop makers
- Needless to say, your reference is http://suitcmt.blogspot.com/ by @PekingRoadHK
- The issues here are: how much time do you have, how limited your budget is, how far are you going to trade time for absolute quality, and how well you can communicate (and sweet talk) the tailor who takes hundreds of orders per month from proper shops in (1) and (2) to prioritize your order somewhere in the long queue of delivery time and quality.
- Remember that there is no "slow slow make, with good good quality" in Mirador. Don't be deluded by the age or appearance of the cutter/ tailor into believing that he is an artist and deliver extra quality for those who can appreciate. They are smarter than you think.

Nnicnic

Reaction score
My friends and I have collectively tried his different items including suits, overcoat, custom knitwear and handmade shirt.

The shop-keeping guy Yally is a passionate gentleman who will perfect your order (if he personally handles your order). He himself has learnt to cut and make under the surviving Shanghai masters in Hong Kong for at least a few years now.

However, perfectionism comes at a cost: items were delivered often after long periods of unresponsiveness and delay. If you are in any real *need* of a new suit or similar, you should go elsewhere.
Are you satisfied on what they provide at that price point?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
For whoever interested, a pants maker I would recommend. Nicknamed "Hong Kong Ambrosi".

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
For whoever interested, here is the latest CMT price of the shirtmaker in Hong Kong.

Since a few years ago, they implemented the system of progressive CMT price for luxury cotton fabric. This seems to be the inevitable outcome of more and more people doing CMT when the availability of cut-length fabric is no longer exclusive to tailors.

Perhaps the price structure of HK tailor businesses will change towards the Italian system - with the costs of operating a storefront and a team of skilled staff absorbed into the base price of CMT, and a more modest mark-up on luxury fabric (when a walk-in client just orders a shirt or suit from them). In that scenario, a client choosing to go CMT with a more expensive maker would be going for the service package, not the perceived saving.

Hopefully, tailors and the entrepreneurs keeping the tradition alive shall get the recognition they deserve.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Fabric choice is often touted as an advantage for reasons I cannot understand. Tailors especially travelling ones these days no longer stock fabric but pay deposit to get bunches from wholesalers - the fee is often nominal.

In my opinion tailors should have a core repertoire they know well - be it stylistic or fabric choices.

Low end tailors in Hong Kong work best with poly-wool mix, and generally have technical difficulties managing thin and sheer fabric (like Zegna tropical, the cheapest of common Zegna lineup in HK). Their house (default) cut can nevertheless be contemporary and flattering. At less then HKD 4000/ USD 512 per suit it’s a good mentality to expect something wearable and look decent on the outside. Handwork is of no importance at this price range. Remember that sewing machines are also operated by hands (and feet) and you feel less depressed when you see machine stitches or lousy hand-stitching (which shouts handmade, obviously).

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
On a slightly unrelated note:

China shoemaker trunkshow at a HK Tailor

And below is my pair in progress ?

alex20000

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard or had an experience with Germain Tailor in Sheung wan before?
The suit start at 5k hkd. They also provide full canvas with additional of 400hkd(I have a doubt about this) but I quite like their style and the it's in my price range too.

Here's the link:
http://www.germain-tailors.com/shanghai/hong-kong/tailor/made-to-measure
My friends and I have collectively tried his different items including suits, overcoat, custom knitwear and handmade shirt.

The shop-keeping guy Yally is a passionate gentleman who will perfect your order (if he personally handles your order). He himself has learnt to cut and make under the surviving Shanghai masters in Hong Kong for at least a few years now.

However, perfectionism comes at a cost: items were delivered often after long periods of unresponsiveness and delay. If you are in any real *need* of a new suit or similar, you should go elsewhere.

Any more reviews with Germain Tailor? Will probably have a try in a couple months.

Petey

Reaction score

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Have we found out how to find him? I'm dire need of some pants. Thanks

Towards the end of the post. A number of friends have reached him. Cheers!

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Hi , I have a decent size client base and looking to expand and find a new tailor to work with in China for mtm suits full canvas as well as accessories and leather goods. Shipping would be to the us. Any suggestions would be great as well as different options.
There are over 100 baotou tailors of all kinds of garment in Mirador Mansion, TST, Hong Kong. Their main customers are tailor shops and brand names. Most of them accept orders from local consumers during low seasons. Some of them accept export orders, e.g. a few shirt tailors are exporting almost everyday. Due to production cost savings, most of their production lines are located in Guangdong province, especially Shenzhen. Very few of them are keeping their production lines in Hong Kong.

1) shirt tailors for males
2) suit tailors for males
3) leather jacket tailors for males and females
4) uniform tailors for males and females
5) Chinese Cheongsam for females
6) suit tailors for females
7) shirt tailors for females
8) tailors for clothing alterations

They are specialized in different areas. Some of them can do casual wear. You need to talk to them directly.

If you want real low production cost, you deal with China factories directly. There are millions of them located in all provinces in mainland China. They export to US market everyday: https://www.made-in-china.com/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads