• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xizenta

Reaction score
I have been out of the game for about 5 or 6 years now. I have some suiting I bought almost ten years ago which I never made up. Do any of the HK tailors do a good job replicating the cut and construction of an existing jacket (attolini) so that I don't have to fly out? If so, are they comfortable using customer-supplied materials? Thanks for the information.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think any tailor can duplicate anything 100%. Some tailors accept customer's materials and some don't so youy wuill need to ask the tailor you are using? Who are you using?

xizenta

Reaction score
I don't think any tailor can duplicate anything 100%. Some tailors accept customer's materials and some don't so youy wuill need to ask the tailor you are using? Who are you using?

I'm not using one at the moment. I'm looking for one to make a pattern from my favorite jacket and accept my materials so I can move some of the stuff I've been sitting on for a decade. Looking for recommendations.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Gordon Yao in the past but have not used him for some time (at least 8 years). I've used Ascot Chang the last several years and they accept customer's materials. Are you located in HK?

xizenta

Reaction score
I've used Gordon Yao in the past but have not used him for some time (at least 8 years). I've used Ascot Chang the last several years and they accept customer's materials. Are you located in HK?

No, I'm in California. If I was in HK I would just go get fitted and have them make something from their own patterns. I want to just send them a jacket to work off of so I don't have to fly around. Went to HK in 2012 not planning on going back any time soon.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm in California. If I was in HK I would just go get fitted and have them make something from their own patterns. I want to just send them a jacket to work off of so I don't have to fly around. Went to HK in 2012 not planning on going back any time soon.
If you are near San Francisco area you can try Spoon Tailors and if in the Lois Angeles area people here on this forum seem to give good marks to Divij bespoke formerly Hermajani Tailors. I know Spoon takes customer's materials.

xizenta

Reaction score
If you are near San Francisco area you can try Spoon Tailors and if in the Lois Angeles area people here on this forum seem to give good marks to Divij bespoke formerly Hermajani Tailors. I know Spoon takes customer's materials.

Thank you for the recommendations. Yes I had a good result from Hemrajani before. He did not work with customer materials though.

worldrunner

Reaction score
Curious how much Trousers are at the following HK folks these days:

Gordon Yao
WW Chan
Prologue

RectoVerso

Reaction score
I did custom pants at WW Chan 4 years ago, for about 5000 HKD with linen fabric.

I am actually wearing them now, the quality is excellent (but I regret making them out of linen haha).

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking for one to make a pattern from my favorite jacket and accept my materials so I can move some of the stuff I've been sitting on for a decade. Looking for recommendations.

If anyone else is looking for a tailor who can copy a jacket/trousers. Just send me a message. We can do that for you.
  • 100% handmade in Italy
  • Made the same way as an bespoke garment
  • One fitting as an option or completely finished
  • Send us your fabrics or we will order it for you

Protagoras

Reaction score
I'm going to Hong Kong for 12 days in October. I would like to have a suit made there. Since I have relatively normal body measurements and am not looking for anything too exotic, I am wondering whether MTM makes more sense than a real bespoke suit. I could then invest the money in fabrics and quality.
I am looking for a classic grey suit, British style, fitted, full-canvassed.
Can you recommend a tailor in Hong Kong for this? And what do I have to spend for a good result?
Or is the MTM idea stupid and I would be better off going for Bespoke?

Best thanks
Protagoras

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Hong Kong for 12 days in October. I would like to have a suit made there. Since I have relatively normal body measurements and am not looking for anything too exotic, I am wondering whether MTM makes more sense than a real bespoke suit. I could then invest the money in fabrics and quality.
I am looking for a classic grey suit, British style, fitted, full-canvassed.
Can you recommend a tailor in Hong Kong for this? And what do I have to spend for a good result?
Or is the MTM idea stupid and I would be better off going for Bespoke?

Best thanks
Protagoras
It would help to know what your price range is and since your measurements are pretty normal does RTW make more sense?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the Bay Area. About five years ago I wandered in to Spoon Tailors because I happened to be
in the neighborhood. Asked what the process/price was for a tweed sport coat. They said they didn't
make tweed sport coats. Odd. At the time I guessed that the very Neapolitan Belvest sport coat I was
wearing was something they were unwilling or unable to reproduce. Not that I specified that I wanted
the garment copied.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads