• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lol1000

Reaction score
I don’t have first hand experience with AMHC - as some local gurus think they are too “tourist-oriented” - and I went straight to AC when I started. Maybe I can pass by AMHC laterThis week and ask for you.

.....that would be awesome, I would then just place my order by phone.

The Alumo were pretty fancy, though....

Thx!

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
.....that would be awesome, I would then just place my order by phone.

The Alumo were pretty fancy, though....

Thx!

Passed by AMHC today and asked.

Alumo 140/2 - HKD 2000+
Alumo 170/2 - HKD 2500+

And when I commented that their price was rather modest compared to Ascot Chang, they humbly said that “Oh but they have better collars, which we cannot do since we don’t have that machine, also they have some fine details which are better... in terms of fit, however, we can probably do better due to our long-term suit expertise”.

A brief yet surprisingly honest exchange. I didn’t clarify with them what machinery was required to make AC’s inimitable collar, but their proper respect for a competing firm gave me a very positive impression.

Lol1000

Reaction score
Fantastic, thanks a lot. Did you also talk about the basic prices, e.g. their standard Egyptian cotton or other plain stuff?

I consider myself interested in classic conservative clothing, while at the same time I don´t have to wear suits/shirts if I don´t want to. In any case, I have zero to complain about regarding AMHC´s shirts or their collars. I don`t own any shirt from AC, but there is nothing that would make pay twice the price.

guitarcade

Reaction score
It appears a well respected HK tailor, Grand Tailor, has ceased business indefinitely. Any one with any clues if they have a sideline tailoring business elsewhere? Thanks!

Nnicnic

Reaction score
Anyone has a recommend tailor for a pair of trousers? Would be great if it's under 2.5k Looked into the anthology, the gaudery, prologue but their starting price are a bit beyond my budget. I have a few pairs of trousers made from Germain tailor which I quite like but wanted to explore something new.

Nnicnic

Reaction score
I checked with them late last year and it was around 3100hkd similar to The Anthology

dennistsang

Reaction score
Anyone has a recommend tailor for a pair of trousers? Would be great if it's under 2.5k Looked into the anthology, the gaudery, prologue but their starting price are a bit beyond my budget. I have a few pairs of trousers made from Germain tailor which I quite like but wanted to explore something new.
Dream bespoke will be within your budget.

Lol1000

Reaction score

Go to Y William Yu on Mody Road. The make really awesome fitting pants, don't recall any specific price, but it was reasonable and I still wear them after 12 years!

Nara_Deer

Reaction score
Went to Allan Tom. Fabrics are very nice and prices are great (VBC Super 110s half canvassed for $3.4K).

The proprietor is nice and likes to chat about suits (he's knowledgable), but I wasn't satisfied with the service.

The experience is not great. Go if you have time to waste, but I don't like having my time wasted.

1. Showed up for a fitting on the date specified. Proprietor said "Oh, looks like the sifu forgot to send the suit back today. Let me check and call you back". Never called me back, I had to chase him up by phone. Had to get visibly annoyed before he even offered an apology. I was furious at this since he basically wasted my time (I got off work early just to make it to that fitting), and he broke his promise (he said he would call me back but he did not call me back). Also ********* up and should've apologized in the very first instance.

2. Got the pants made with side adjusters with buttons instead of a pulley system even though I expressly told him to make it with a pulley system. No apology was offered ("Oh, I must've forgotten to write it down"). I could've told him to re-make the pants but I told him to nicely just forget about it since he'd have to eat the cost of remaking the pants. Again, I'm annoyed that ********* up and didn't apologize.

3. Told him to do jetted pockets instead of flaps. Came back in the 2nd fitting with flap pockets. Told him to fix it. Came back in the 3rd fitting with flap pockets still. Remains to be seen whether he'll actually remember for the 4th fitting to do jetted pockets.

4. On 2nd fitting, jacket had some shoulder issues. Told him I need to get the tuxedo by a certain date, he said he'd get the shoulder issues fixed by the 3rd fitting so I could wear it. The shoulder issues were not fixed by the 3rd fitting (they did try and fix it but there was still a bit of a problem) and it's getting fixed by him again. This would be fine, I don't expect that complicated shoulder issues are fixed on the first try, except that...

4. Told him to prioritze my order and to try and get it to me in a few days (wanted to get it on the weekend so that I wouldn't have to get off work early to get the tuxedo), given that ********* up so many times (pockets, side tabs, not getting the jacket for a fitting on the date he said it'd be ready). He would have 2 working days to get the sifu to fix it. He said not possible, sorry, too many other orders in the queue. Dude, come on, if you **** up so many times, the least you could do is to prioritize my order.

Again, I have to reiterate that I don't hate the guy. He's a nice guy and he obviously likes suits. But it pisses me off that he gets things wrong and doesn't apologize for getting things wrong, and that he doesn't do stuff he says he'll do (he says he'll call you and doesn't call you). Also pisses me off that he doesn't know that if he ***** up, he should try and make it up to you (ie prioritzing your order).

I'm sticking with Lee Baron from now on.

Had a more or less similar experience. Paid HK$1200 for a pair of Carlo Barbera High Twist 140s trousers.

1st fitting > the workshop has not prepared my trousers....
2nd fitting > got things measured.
3rd fitting (supposed to be final product) > Waist too tight, trousers too long, slightly too wide. The length was unacceptable because that was clearly noted in during the fitting.
4th fitting > length and width fixed. Waist not fixed. The proprietor said he did not write down my request last time....
5th visit > completed.

This is bull ****.

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
I'd like to share with you guys my purchase of a Prologue suit in light grey Prince of Wales check from their sample sale last summer.

Prologue suit jacket_01.jpg

(suit jacket only, trousers from mymysterioustailor)

It was a sample (so not cut to my measurement).

However, the fit of the jacket was surprisingly good: Shoulders and collars spot-on, firmly hugging my neck line. There is no shoulder padding, and the canvas is relatively lightweight. Realised in spalla camicia (before their mark II house cut introduced in the end of 2019). Chest has enough drape (I guess both the cutting and the fabric being Fresco helps), lapel roll decent. You might see from the photo that the skirt 'flares' out a bit, but then it might have been my jacket was unbuttoned and my arms pushing the quarters away - I need to check IRL next time. Overall the balance is well managed.
Prologue suit jacket_02.jpg

(sorry I could only screenshot this one of my IG story as I can't find my original photo)

Make of the jacket meets my expectation of quality MTM / what they call 'semi-bespoke', with hand-attached sleeves and quarter lining. The inseams that can be seen in the quarterly-lined inside are also neatly tape-covered. No Milanese buttonholes (but they do offer such option).

The trousers are bit too slim for me, and are not worn here. Its original leg opening was around 20cm, so I let out all the allowance and widened to ~21cm, yet it was still too slim for me (but then I myself have unusually bulky thighs and calves, and my legs are far from straight).

Having said that, the alternation tailor (who is a well-regarded alternation sifu on 16/F in Mirador Building, who alters a good number of high end bespoke suits like Liverano and good RTW like Ring Jacket) did mention that there was a decent amount of hand work in there. I saw button closure and buttoned turn-up.

I purchased it for HKD 4,600 i.e. half price in last summer, which was, in Jerry's words, 'manageable money'. Their price for semi-bespoke started from 11,000 before Feb, after which they increased price.

BTW the shirt is from Peter Lee, tie Drake's for the Armoury.

Hope this is of help to those who are eyeing a commission!

Cheers,
Royal_Airforce

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads