1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rdsr

rdsr Member

In terms of fabric probably just wool will be fine.
    Not looking for something too exotic, minimal details, single breast, fly front, smooth back, maybe a velvet collar.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Is that you wearing the suit - your ring has disappeared if it is?

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I take it off when I sleep so I hadn't put it on. Actually I forgot to put on a white ps too, I keep forgetting stuff before I take pictures.

By the by, here's my tweed jacket and cord trousers from Moda Republic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. kingenzo

kingenzo Member

Those from Dreams looks great!

5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks. Oh this is a second try on a similar fabric as the three piece by dream. This one is slightly looser especially with the trousers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a bit dark to see it well unfortunately.

2 people like this.
  6. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@Isolation Congratulations. You've got some fine new garments, made by some well respected HK tailors too. Given your personal style towards hard waist suppression--in the footsteps of Gianni Agnelli--and known shoulder drop issue, the fits are good. We done, man. It looks like your wardrobe refresh is coming together very nicely and your time/expense investments are starting to pay sartorial dividends.

7. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

@Isolation contrasting dark brown horn buttons might have been a better choice for your grey tweed jacket, especially for your above country ensemble. Obviously, buttons are easily changed--so it's not a big deal. Anyway, it's a nice jacket--perfect for your cold UK winters.

EDIT: I read @rms340 's constructive criticism over on The Noodles thread. He makes some very good points. Here are some additional thoughts:
    - I think the left sleeve creases were caused from your earlier picture to reveal your watch, which you omitted to straighten out by pulling down on the sleeve.
    - Perhaps, you could shorten both sleeves a tad.
    - He might have a point about the buttons stance being a tad too high.

8. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

@Isolation, your Dream suits/garments are excellent. Stick with that. How many fittings were required and over what timeframe.

9. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I think the button stance is too high as well, but I guess that's a personal preference. The way you pose for pictures seems to exaggerate your shoulder drop. My preference for tweed jackets is that they should be more relaxed and 'farmer', but again that's personal preference.

10. nakky

nakky Well-Known Member

not a tailoring question but does anyone know a place in HK that can install flush metal toe taps for a pair of shoes?

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Try the Armoury

12. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Go to Best Skills in Causeway Bay:

https://www.facebook.com/bestskillhongkong

13. papercut

papercut Well-Known Member

Where in HK stocks a decent collection of briefcases around USD500?

14. nugs

nugs New Member

Can anyone recommend a tailor with a turn around time of 4-5 days for a price of HKD4000~5000?

I've read dreambespoke, baron lee and some others might be in the price range, but I can't find much more about the minimum time.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Simpson Sin does quick turnaround I believe.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  16. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Hey Isolation, great stuff. What were the rough pricing for your suits from Dream Bespoke and blazer / cords from Moda?

17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks. I agree, and I would have different colored buttons too but I was a bit short on time and forgot to mention early. I'll probably have them swapped out at some point.

18. deglobas

deglobas New Member

Hi all,

I'm planning on heading to Hong Kong sometime soon and have come for some advice. I'm looking to have a suit, sport coat and some shirts made, and the sheer number of tailors has me spinning. I visited Sam's tailor years ago when I was 15 to have some casual, band collar shirts made, and was not at all pleased with the experience. I have a couple of constraints/ideas that might guide your advice, should you be kind enough to offer it.

First, I will most likely be purchasing fabric elsewhere. I'm stopping in Shanghai beforehand and if I find some incredible fabric, I'm likely to buy it. I'm not sure if tailors will typically work with a customer's fabric, but I would certainly prefer it. Second, I'm interested in something a bit more modern; ie slim and shorter jacket, slimmer lapels, slim pants with a light break, etc. For reference, I like the look of J. Crew's Ludow quite a bit (hopefully don't get any flak for that). And finally, as far as price, I would like to spend less than about $750 on the suit (keep in mind I will have already purchased the fabric), and $4-500 on the sport coat. Half canvassed, but ideally full.

The biggest constraint I'm facing is that I will be in HK for only 4 full days, and I really don't want to deal with shipping.

I'm an incredibly detail oriented person, so a meticulous tailor would certainly be appreciated. I look forward to hearing any and all thoughts and recommendations you may have.

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with King's Professional Tailors in the World Wide House in Central? A friend recommended them to me, but I cant seem to find much information.

Thanks in advance

19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I've not heard of them. I had a very good experience with dream but they tend to take longer. Simpson Sin do quick turnarounds and are not bad for the price either. They both do CMT.

20. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

4 days seems tough, as I heard from this period to Chinese New Year, tailors are very busy.