1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Fishball

Fishball Distinguished Member

I don't know the price, but it shouldn't be too expensive.
    Brand and line was shown on the photo already.

You may find something cheaper in other brand, since Scabal is one of the most expensive brands, but it needs time to seach.
    Go to the "unfunded" thread to ask, pals in that thread are always helpful. :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

2. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

3. borbor

borbor Senior Member

What fishball said. BTW, if you have any questions, PM him. As far as making suits in HkG is concerned, his info hasn't pointed me wrong yet from all the stuff I read that he wrote in here and in another forum. The guy knows his stuff, and doesn't word it in a convoluted manner which makes info extraction easier.

But basically, he's right. If you can get fabrics at good prices, CMT is def the way to go.

4. Fishball

Thank you for your good words.:cheers:

5. BigRock

BigRock Well-Known Member

I do not like the look of this trousers at the bottom. What should I do to avoid it?

6. BigRock

Thanks for your useful informations. Basically, I like to have 3 or 4 Fresco suit with different colours in the beginning. Btw, how can I access to workshop directly?

7. Fishball

I think in this photo, the right leg drape alright? What you doesn't like at the bottom?

8. Fishball

Sorry, I don't refer pals to workshop anymore. But I think few pals in this forum will do, so, someone may pop up and PM you. :smarmy:
    However, I want to warn you first, go direct may be little bit cheaper (few hundreds HKD, so may be less than 100USD), but it normally take much much longer time (few months), no or little customer service, no style advice, and if you don't know the stuff, it always end up worse than order suit from the shop.

9. BigRock

I prefer the pants to be a bit tapper at the legs with cuffs. It is my personal preference only.

10. lucanehk

lucanehk New Member

For those who asked, the three piece full canvas suit from Dream Bespoke with the materials I chose was about $1,250 USD (with a slight discount because I'm a thin guy). They do their pricing based off of a 2 piece suit, +30% for the vest (if I recall correctly).

The leg draped poorly because it was stuck on my shoelaces - I was running from behind the camera during the countdown hence why I look a little sloppy there. It is not a problem with the pants themselves from what I can tell.

Thank you for the feedback.

11. BigRock

I agree with you, it is no meaning to go to workshop if saving is only a few hundreds HKD. Any comments for Lao Hop Hing? I can see many many whole length of fabric there, instead of swatches from tailor shop. It makes me feel easier to get a better imagine for the suit to come out. How good is the shop tailor there? Are they mid range or high end? Price are reasonable. I think they have good old school Shanghai tailoring skill. If I give him a picture, do you think he can meet my style, since I am under 30 years old.

12. BigRock

Thanks again for sharing your informations.

13. Fishball

May be you can chat with the young Mr. Wong there, if he is in the house.
    They are old school, especially cutting. I don't advice you to go if you are under 30.
    Sifu and Mrs. Wong won't understand what you want, hahaha.
    However, they are nice people.
    Their craftmanship is better than mid level, and lower than high end. Their price also reflect that.

14. BigRock

But they have many nice fabric there. As an unexperience guy like me, I can feel their fabric can last for long time. My hands can feel they are good wool instead of rubber. How do you compare Lao Hop Hing with H. Baramon?

15. Fishball

Yes, the fabrics selection in LHS is great. They have long history both in Shanghai and Hong Kong.
    If you are talking about craftmanship between LHS and Baromon, then of course Baromon is better.