Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Merino Bros

Merino Bros Senior member

Yes, we do sell to Hong Kong customers. FYI, we are selling Harrisons, H Lesser, Porter & Harding, W Bill and Smith Woollen.

2. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

Yes I believe so.

3. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Patrick always does the fittings on tour.

It's difficult to tell anything about the fit of the pants without them pinned. The jacket looks good, but, at the fitting, I would pay attention to sleeve length which looks a little long, and it looks as though maybe the back will need a bit of cleaning up. At fittings, I raise issues with Patrick, but my default is to defer to his judgment.

4. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

I'm not too worried about the sleeves, since that's a relatively easy fix, right? I'm also going to bring the finished suit for his visit to Houston at the end of June. At that point, I'll probably order a sport coat and odd trousers, assuming I'm satisfied with my first suit.

5. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Perfect - you'll be fine.

6. koolbear

koolbear Well-Known Member

Do you sell cut-lengths to individuals if they visit your store in person?

7. aton

aton Active Member

Look forward to having a linen jacket this summer. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

8. Merino Bros

Yes. But we don't keep stock at store. The fabrics will arrive within one week after you have placed your order. Please come to see the samples if you are interested.

9. Nayr-

Nayr- Member

Do you have a online list with price? I will be going to Hong Kong end June but will not be staying for a whole week.

10. BespokeKiwi

BespokeKiwi Senior member

... This is a continuation of earlier posts.

Again while in HK, I commissioned about 2 dozen new shirts from Ash Samtani. Approximately, two-thirds of the new shirts are dress shirts (favoured by British/former colonial men) and one-third are BD sports shirts (favoured by American men).

From the fitting and resulting master pattern (taken from the white BD sports shirt pictured in an earlier post), Ash Samtani made and delivered the first batchof new shirts (about half a dozen) prior to my departure from HK. The remaining new shirts were completed while I was in HK and are being sent on to me in NZ by parcel post, when I've finish my travels in Asia (I'm in KL now) and call for them.

In the meantime, pictured below are four new dress shirts -- made from Sea Island cotton -- from the first batch of shirts received. All of them have semi-spread collars, no plackets and are in solid colours. I intend wearing them either: (1) paired up with the two new grey suits (mid and dark) -- that I also commissioned from Ash Samtani recently -- or (2) without a jacket during evenings out in tropical South East Asia.

In addition, the new dress shirts all come with my initials embroidered in contrasting colours on the left (mostly barrel style) shirt cuffs. I was expecting the embroidered initials to be machine stitched but was surprised to discover they were all hand stitched. The results are very good however, slightly less bold in appearance than I was expecting. Also, some embroidery errors were made by Ash Samtani with this first batch of shirts, i.e. the wrong contrasting colours applied to two shirts. However, when the errors were pointed out to Ash Samtani they cheerfully took them back and corrected the faults.

In hindsight, I've also noticed that two shirts have thin white MOP buttons. My frequent business travels are pretty hard on my shirts, so thicker buttons may be better suited for me. I would be interested to learn what other SF members' experience has been with thin white MOP buttons -- are they long lasting or are they prone to breaking?

I will post some pictures of these shirts in action -- matched up with my new suits or sans jacket -- in due course.

Once again, apologies for the poor quality iPhone pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

11. Merino Bros

I have sent a PM to you. We can send price list to your email address.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

Black can be fine, don't worry about the obsessive comments some may make.

I look forward to seeing it and hope that you will be happy with its superior quality.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

These are not worth commenting upon, baste fittings are for the tailor's benefit in general. Doubtless he will ask a few questions about fit.

14. emc894

emc894 Senior member

I met with WW chan in NYC last week. Ordered 2 suits without fittings for the first time. I have had about 5 suits or jackets made and am hoping I am fully dialed in at this point. He told me to expect delivery in July, he is back in August if there is some mistake. Very pleased with WW Chan. I have tried Steed, Mina Su Misura and Gordon Yao and am happiest with Chan.

15. Pierre Marc

Pierre Marc Member

For me you need to ask the sleeve a bit longer, also the arm are two large around your shoulder and bicep and should be more fit, you lean on the left side and if this is you natural posture you need the suit to be adjusted in consequence. I would tend to ask for the button to be put lower in the front and tighten the jacket around the hips a bit. For the 2 back opening I like them a little bit more toward the back than on the side like in your jacket but this is personal.