The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Hi Classic Car
    Can you PM the lady details to me?
    I'd like to find her make TF button hole for my suit. I don't mind pay more than that...if it is good.

2. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

The Peninsula Hotel and ask for Nelson.

3. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

I do not have the contact details of the buttonhole lady. Please ask add911_11 in this forum.

4. aton

aton Active Member

Hi, Classic Car. Didn't you say you talked to the lady who charged hk$100 for stitching one buttonhole? Are you sure add911 knows her contact details?

5. Pierre Marc

Pierre Marc Member

Hi Guys,

Just a quick introduction, my name is Pierre-Marc or Peter and I lived in HK for 2 years and now living in Shanghai for 3. I usually had my suits done by William Cheng, which I haven't seen discuss on this thread. He used to do a very reasonable job and I was quite happy with my suits 3-4 years ago, but now the craftsman ship has gone down and the wool I bought that is supposed to be Italian isn't I was told.

I also have seen many people recommending shirts from Jantzen and I have to admit I can't understand why, I mean the shirt I had done there were horrible, from the material which doesn't breath to the cut ( I had to have the shirt changed three times). I never had a worst experience for shirt in HK and I would never recommend them.

I also had shirts done at david's shirts and I really love both the material and the cut, they really did a good job and as a result of the cut my shirt fit nicely so they don't wrinkle as much in the front.

Anyway following the reviews in here I am heading to the following tailors today: Lee baron, David's shirt, Dreams tailor, charms tailor, Gordon Yao and Danny's fashion shop. Out of these I will decide on three and get two shirts and one suit done at each of them and I'll keep you posted with pictures about the results.

Regards

6. Classic Car

First of all, if you read earlier post from add911, he said he knows the lady.

Second, when I visited workshop earlier, a Tom ford suit was left there by a customer who requested one tailor there to copy. The buttonhole lady was there and I showed her Tom ford Lapel buttonhole. She said it will take 2 hours to make one buttonhole like this. I believe she will accept $100 if I request her to do so. I am not interested for such buttonholes if I need to pay $100 extra.

7. Classic Car

I do not know the buttonhole lady in the workshop is the same lady as Chan or not.

8. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Hahaha, we know you don't have the contact of the buttonhole lady.
    I just wonder the buttonhole lady you talk to, is that the same lady who make the buttonhole for add911?
    Or just some lady who do make buttonhole for other tailors and said if doing something like this will take at lease two hours?

9. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

haha, I don't know why my iphone didn't show Car reply when I was posting my last post.
    But anyway, I am correct! :lol:

10. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Jantzen and David's don't really seem to be in the same end of the market. David's appears to be rather higher. Jantzen has the rep around here more or less as being one of the safer bets at the very cheap end of the market, but there are certainly people who've had bad results there (mainly with online orders, though, it seems). I had a couple of shirts made there last time I was in HK and found them a decent deal for the price (which is, indeed, very cheap). There does seem to be a fad for Lee Baron lately though, it seems. I haven't tried them.

Here on SF people seem to be pretty partial to Ascot Chang for high-end shirts, seems to be preferred to David's. I've never been to either, just what I find by searching.

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ agreed. Lee Baron is (or was) very cheap for nicely (not high-end) made shirts although it's been a couple years for me. Jantzen is Jantzen. Much better if you're actually in HK.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

12. Classic Car

Is your mentioned David's shirt is the one locate on the ground floor of Kimberly Road, TST? If not, where is the location?

13. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

I like AC for shirt, yes it's expensive, but they let me be super picky with the sizing and collar when I had them made, I made my own extreme cutaway collar with pictures only and they were willing to change it like 5 times before I approved. A lot of people here will find the shirts at AC too exp (I agree to a degree), but I shoot for quality over quantity.

Janzten shirts are ok, I mean they're essentially a factory now and they just churn out shirts.

Made some shirts from Lee Baron for around 180 each...don't bother.

14. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

jantzen do suits too, but not very good ones, from the ones I saw while I was in there getting fitted for shirts...

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ +1