1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. vinveritas

vinveritas Senior member

bgk, what fabrics did you choose and how much does PL charge for shirts nowadays? I'm considering dropping by when I visit HK this year. Thanks.

2. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Basic house fabrics were still at HKD 280 last time I visited in June. Linen shirts were at around HKD650-700, with other cottons between those points depending on quality.

3. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Anyone in HK have any recommendations for places to shorten ties?

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

How about someone to do nice hand sewn buttonholes please? I had to make alterations to a Borrelli jacket and now need an extra buttonhole put in. The existing ones are super nice and the alterations tailor can't handle it.

5. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

What might one expect to pay for a navy blazer at WW Chan, or from Peter Lee? Sorry, I searched around without success!

6. dingdongbell

dingdongbell Well-Known Member

have anyone used William Cheng & Son??

7. effers

effers Well-Known Member

Also interested for sport coat fabrics such as tweed!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Can't speak for Peter Lee, but what you would pay for a navy blazer from Chan would depend on the fabric. For something like VBC 110, probably somewhere around $850. For good British fabrics the prices would probably start in the neighborhood of $1,000 (US).

You could, of course, e-mail Chan for more precise information.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Thanks very much for the estimates and your suggestion, JLib! I will email Chan about it.

10. Angleton

Angleton Member

I'm not sure about the protocol of posting questions here without contributing first, but I'm off to Hong Kong on Thursday and have some pressing questions. So, sorry in advance.

I've done some trawling here, and there are indeed some superb threads for advice on Hong Kong tailors. WW Chan appears to be seen as the gold standard, but my circumstances don't really justify going there. I've recently lost about 30 pounds in weight, and thus none of my suits fit me. I'm therefore looking for at least three, and preferably four, suits, plus probably one or two blazers, two overcoats and enough shirts and ties to mix and match with the suits. Alas, while personally, I'd love to go to Chan and get all that, Mrs Angleton will go crazy if I spend HKD10,000-and up per suit when buying in that kind of bulk.

A friend recommended Lord's tailor, but I couldn't get through. Their sister shop, Charms, said that their suits would be HKD4,500, which is right in my price range. However, I haven't seen either tailor mentioned once on here.

Jantzen, who I'd really rather go to, haven't responded to an email, so I'm not sure whether they'll be able to complete my order within the seven days I'm there, or indeed, how much they cost these days.

So, I'm looking for either recommendations within that price range (no more than HKD5,000 per suit), a rough idea on how much Jantsen would charge, or confirmation that Lords and Charms are, indeed, good places to go. I understand that I won't get a Saville Row-quality experience for that, but I do want a good quality suit that represents value for money.

Again, sorry for taking advantage of your expertise when I'm brand new to the forum, but I have looked through all the threads listed here, and can't see any answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Peter Lee does full canvas for about HKD 4600 plus fabric.

1 person likes this.
  12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

+1...Peter Lee will take care of everything you need including shirts. The big question is how long will you be there for? If Thursday and leave Sunday that's not much time and you'll only have 1 fitting for 1 shirt and 1 suit. If you're there for the full following week you can get fittings for most. I highly recommend not ordering all items at once your first hour there. At least see how the first fitting goes and where adjustments should be made and then order more.

I'd definitely steer clear of Jantzen's. They really have gone downhill in terms of quality and customer service. The first few items I had I liked, but after that no more. Peter's shirts are much better.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. ddavid1101

ddavid1101 New Member

I'm heading to HK on Saturday. But got quoted 4,800 for a half canvas. Whats the deal?

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

^ Peter's pricing will vary depending on the fabric and details. Prices have also gone up a little over the past year unfortunately.

15. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This; +1.

16. Angleton

Angleton Member

And how much would fabric cost? I don't want anything special -- probably a basic worsted wools, navy and grey; or perhaps a flannel since I live in Moscow and the winter is coming, but anyway, nothing fancy. Do you have a ball park figure including fabric?

I'm staying for six full days, actually. Just realized that I actually arrive at 6am on the Friday morning and leave at 1am the following Thursday.

So, I should have time, right?

17. banis

banis Senior member

Angleton, please try Peter Lee and let another Moscowite know how you'll like your suits.

1 person likes this.
  18. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Depends. The cheapest mainstream fabric dealer online is Dugdale Bros., which puts you in the 25-30 GBP/m ballpark. You will need about 3.5m for a suit. Peter also has his own house fabrics. These are decent but nothing special (although his linens are really good).

1 person likes this.
  19. ddavid1101

ddavid1101 New Member

Anyone know where I can pick up some good fabric in NYC to bring to Peter? I'm flying out Friday arriving Saturday.

20. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

No personal experience, but Tip Top has been mentioned here.