The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

That is a good description. Gordon is a good person to work with. He strikes a good balance of listening to the customer and providing his own insight. He's also been very good about correcting any issues. In my opinion, he's easier to work with than the folks from Chan.

That is a picture of me. I'm short and stocky, so pants never really look that elegant on me. Pants just look better on guys with long legs who don't have thick thighs. I'm a poor model for GY's pants.

It also is a quick snap from a low angle, which distorts the image somewhat, and, in the split second that the picture was taken, the pants are draping in way that makes them look bigger than they are in real life. While it's a decent representation of the overall cut of a GY suit, it's not a great picture and I'm not a good model. I wouldn't take too much away from it.

While GY's default cut may be a little more conservative than Chan, GY will cut you any type of pants you want. I probably have 7 or 8 pairs of pants from GY. The first pair looks pretty much the same as the last, so it wasn't a matter of forcing him out of his comfort zone.

2. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Senior member

Many thanks for your reply which makes a lot of sense. I thought the jacket was very well done and GY is certainly on my radar for my next commission (which may be a late 2014 or 2015 project)

3. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I'm not a HK expert but I believe the negative input on SF about Chan began to emerge in mid 2012. I had fittings in HK for a first suit back in October of last year, and Patrick was there but really busy and the younger guys fitted me. Patrick had to be summoned over for many of my questions and requests, and he knew his stuff, but it was a real shame he didn't help with the fittings as I'm sure he could have noticed and fixed some of the flaws I noticed only later.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^What, in particular, were the flaws?

5. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

My experience was exactly the same as Svenn's. The primary flaw in mine is collar gap on the right side, which was noted during fittings but not properly fixed.

6. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Uneven gorges, sleeve dents at bicep, ripply trousers not shaped enough. Canvassing was pretty lifeless too, especially unfortunate since we agreed on a 'Huntsman' style.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

I like how you're 'putting things in perspective' here ZB, but that jacket is one of GY's best I've seen here.

8. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

More than that. I think z's suit is minnis fresco 0520, and is in my file as one of the premium examples of a suit in that fabric - top and bottom. And the main reason why I will have a suit like that one day if I am lucky. Superb.

9. honestbob

honestbob New Member

I have been given a quote from Gordon Yao of USD 1280 as a starting price for a two piece, but then it would be a huge jump to USD 2400 to get something done in super 140.

William Yu quoted HKD 7250 and 8950.

I imagine that GY is better, but wonder if the starting price is just rubbish and I will need to go with better cloth (and end up closer to the USD 2400). Any experiences to share?

10. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

This thread makes me nervous about Chan since I'm meeting him on Friday.

11. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

That's actually not the 0520. I have a suit in 0520 that GY made. I'm sure I've posted pictures of it on this site somewhere.

Edit. Here it is, with the same poor angle:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  12. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I wouldn't recommend using a expensive cloth trying out new tailors. Once you have your pattern down then you can try more expensive cloth.

Some entry level cloth such as VBC are very good value. I have a suit WW Chan made me fro VBC Super110 still going strong after many years of wearing.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I wouldn't worry too much. I think you'll be in good hands.

Well, since you had multiple fittings, why didn't you notice these shortcomings before accepting the final suit?

14. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

They outright refused, claiming the trousers looked good already and blaming my shoes. The uneven gorges didn't appear until after the finishing. The rest was concealed by the classic 'fitter's tug'', that I'm not at my most observant as an overheated foreigner running around tsim sha tsui, and finally that it's not my responsibility to notice fitting flaws.

15. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

If Patrick is there I would not be.