The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. blackers

blackers Active Member

Interesting... what is causing those dents then?

2. blackers

blackers Active Member

This may be a silly question as I can't find any threads dealing with it on Style Forum but do any tailors in Hong Kong make jeans? Is it just uneconomical to tailor jeans? I must have an unusual waist to leg length ratio as I always have trouble finding decent fitting jeans, something that is right in the waist without cutting off circulation to my crotch and/or being too long in the leg.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

3. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

I've been to TCNY, went through the Fabric selection, they do have nice fabrics like Zegna which will cost you nearly 10k. Sounds like a great deal until they "measure you" which basically means wearing different sizes of the OTR stuff in the store and making alterations here and there. The problem is that it's not a tailor doing this, it's just the lady in the shop, so the approach doesn't really consider the ramifications of how altering one area will impact the other. I'm no suit expert but after that process, I didn't go on further. I just didn't really feel the vibe.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

I would personally suggest Gordon Yao, very much the father figure I think that he would be easier given your knowledge. I think marginally the better suit as well.

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

With just five posts and no experience of reputable tailors I hardly think that you are in apposition to speak. The point you miss is that, sadly, more and more first time buyers are coming here with things produced by so-called tailors who are good at marketing but nothing more. They then convince the inexperienced that whatever rag they have produced is the best that could ever be. The inexperienced fall for it and then come here when the doubts start to gather.

I see that in this instance the OP was not measured and merely tried some RTW garments and a sales assistant (not an experienced tailor) determined the changes needed. Enough said.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Absolutely correct, that is not even MTM its just ridiculous.

7. blackers

blackers Active Member

Yikes, is that how you speak to people in real life? I hope not.

I'm just offering an opinion, I have said I'm just starting out and he is free to ignore me. If my opinion was way off, please correct me. Your "burn it" rhetoric is entertaining but not very helpful for the poster. From your post count I can see you've been on this site a long time and are no doubt past suffering fools gladly, but please try to be constructive and civil regardless. I'm sure that you were inexperienced in matters of the cloth yourself once.

8. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

9. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

I think jeans is a different animal from normal tailoring and you need a special sewing machine to make it In Japan, there may be a MTM jeans but not sure.
    If you try raw denim which is shrink to fit, you have a chance of better fitting jeans?

10. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

11. justintime88

justintime88 Member

Thank you for all the advice & comments.

I'll go to GY next week to get a proper suit.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

I do not think that you will be disappointed.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

If you criticise people you must expect the favour to be returned.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

You could try to deliver your message without superfluous bluntness and rudeness. Takes minimal skill and effort....

15. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I don't think he criticized at all. Why not be civil to someone who is upset about spending a lot of money on a product they are not happy with?