The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Chan suit definitely much expensive than PT.

I usually spend 12-18k for my suit there...

Btw I tried PL last month, the handwork is not as nice as Chan but the fitting seems looking good. My co worker give some good feedback too.

2. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Chan will be roughly double the cost.

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Really? So what's the price for a suit at Practical?

4. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

I haven't been to PT, but extrapolating from Charlie's experience:

5000 for the jacket in Minnis fresco plus, say, 2000 for pants equals 7000.

Roughly half what it would cost at Chan. Similar price to LB.

5. BenjiRob

BenjiRob Member

Definitely send me a message when the event is on and I'll come down to show you the suit in person.

you mention in your post "I think the rules are slightly relaxed for odd jacketing c/w suiting" . This is acceptable for a mediocre Tailor or Made to measure tailor.

A good bespoke tailor would reinforce one of your shoulders a little for the drooped shoulder and in most cases make one of the sleeves longer than the other.

Keep in mind with the sloped shoulder means you have a shorter side panel as well, meaning a good bespoke tailor would construct each side slightly different, to eliminate bunching. Good bespoke tailors construct the suit to hide the bodies flaws. This can't be achieved with made to measure, as the main work and most important part of a bespoke suit is in the pattern.

If in Australia I recommend Germanicos as I had the above tweaks on mine as well as I also had a drop in one shoulder. I believe they are in Sydney too, however I disagree that Sydney has better tailors than Melbourne wholeheartedly. What do you base that comment on?

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Could be the fact that this is closer to the work places of their local clients, that the area fits their upscale price point better or that they want to save their customers from the unavoidable street hustlers at TST ("make you a very nice suit in 24 hours" , "want a fake Rolex")

7. Charlie 8

Charlie 8 Member

Hi Tucker

Ordered my suit. Can share with you guys the pricing from Practical Tailor. In a nutshell, starting price ranges from roughly HK$6.5K upwards for a two piece suit.

I went for a navy fabric, from Scabal, 140s Cashmere and Wool mix, although I was also tempted to go for Harrison's from the Frontier collection, which was a weightier fabric, similar to Fresco but with a finer weave.

The Scabal was HK$12k, Harrison's HK$9k. I opted for one pair of trousers only, with the view of reordering after seeing through the completion of the suit.

For the better know tailors, Andy at PT mentioned a ball park of around HK$ 17-19 for the Scabal. Though as this level, aside from construction processes, premiums tend to be a bit more subjective, say brand, fit, house style and amongst other things a longer waiting list.

Merry Christmas. Will keep you guys updated.

Charlie

8. billbro

billbro Active Member

Business must be booming, I spent around $11,000 at Lee Baron around a week ago for a VBC 110 suit and a dozen or so shirts. Admittedly not the worst price in the world, but bearing in mind most of the shirts were using house fabrics and only three had non-fused collars. However, Peter was asking for $5,300 for a half canvas VBC 110 and from memory I paid $3,900 two years ago!

I might have to give Dream Bespoke a try next time around depending on how happy I am with what Peter turns around - especially if I can get a full canvas for 5,600. I've changed quite drastically in mold and fit into a drop 7 now and Peter didn't exactly take too many measurements - he requested that I leave my OTR Suit Supply Napoli with him as a reference instead.

If I wasn't short on time 1 day stop over in HK, 1.5 stop over on the way back I would have checked out SS or DB.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

9. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Affiliate Vendor

billbro, unfortunately I don't think it's due to the fact that business is booming. In the last 2 years in Hong Kong property prices have gone up in some areas as much as 100%. The price increase is probably made just to stay profitable! It is increasingly hard to earn a living in Hong Kong as a tailor unfortunately!

10. 1up

1up Senior member

I've got a weekend in HK, obviously not enough time to get a full suit...

What about getting a few pairs of nice trousers, and then having them mailed to me. Worthwhile?

11. Alex-ModaR

Hi 1up, if you wanted to come visit our store do let me know thanks!

12. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

I figure this is the place to ask.
    Does anyone have advice for buying cloth for CMT in Hong Kong or Shanghai? How to get good quality without relying on the assurances of some, ah, morally flexible phlegm-spitter in a fabric market?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

13. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

yes.

14. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Don't.

15. Alex-ModaR

Hi 32-20, fyi any decent fabric would not be sold in areas like the Sheung Wan market or Sham Shui Po. Those areas tend to sell mainland Chinese or lower quality fabrics only. For luxury European fabrics like Loro Piana, Zegna, etc you would need to have an existing relationship with the provider (leave sums of at least $50-100K HSD as a deposit). Sorry to break it to you!