The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Any ideas on what does AC go for and out of interest what sort of timeframe would a typical shirt maker take?

2. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

C charges $120 and it goes up from there. Typically 3 days are needed to make a shirt.

3. clockwise

clockwise Senior member

Oh, really? I think I am paying US$200-300 for my shirts from Ascot Chang. Usually Alumo 120s but also Thomas Mason. I guess they will do the shirts in 3 days if you are really in a hurry, I usually allow the 5-7 days they will typically tell you. I use the shop in IFC. Have had a good experience and made around 12-15 shirts there. I previously used several different (cheaper) shirt tailors around Central but the difference in quality from AC is noticeable and I am happy to pay a bit extra for the good result. [​IMG]

4. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Oh, really? I think I am paying US$200-300 for my shirts from Ascot Chang. Usually Alumo 120s but also Thomas Mason. I guess they will do the shirts in 3 days if you are really in a hurry, I usually allow the 5-7 days they will typically tell you. I use the shop in IFC. Have had a good experience and made around 12-15 shirts there. I previously used several different (cheaper) shirt tailors around Central but the difference in quality from AC is noticeable and I am happy to pay a bit extra for the good result. [​IMG]

Yes, I think the cheapest you can found in AC nowaday is around USD120.
    They charge CMT for HKD750 now (700 before Mar, I think it was just four hundreds something few years ago), so if you know where to buy the shirting, you can save a lot.
    I tried many shirtmakers in HK, and I agreed with you AC is the best in HK.
    Actually I think they can even do it in 2 days if you are really hurry, and ask them at the morning hours.

5. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

They charge CMT for HKD750 now (700 before Mar, I think it was just four hundreds something few years ago), so if you know where to buy the shirting, you can save a lot.
    Actually I think they can even do it in 2 days if you are really hurry, and ask them at the morning hours.

That's good to know, I am going to be a bit tight on time. Land 7am on the Wednesday, now out Friday afternoon at 2:40.

6. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

That's good to know, I am going to be a bit tight on time. Land 7am on the Wednesday, now out Friday afternoon at 2:40.

BUt you have to be their old customer, that means they have your pattern on hand. And you have to have good relationship with the shop manager. They can do it doesn't mean they want to do it for anyone.

7. dbc

dbc Senior member

I am under the impression that they only do CMT for their regulars.

8. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I am under the impression that they only do CMT for their regulars.

I'd never heard that before. Is that what they told you?

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Most TM and Alumo are in the $200-$300 range with some in the $150 and up.

I agree that AC is the best in HK. 2 days is without fittings though.

10. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

Most TM and Alumo are in the $200-$300 range with some in the $150 and up.

I agree that AC is the best in HK. 2 days is without fittings though.

How are the USD 120 ranges btw. I'm thinking of not making all three from Thomas Mason Fabrics.

11. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

12. hwai333

hwai333 Senior member

so where do you guys recommend for a good quality shirt for under $800 hkd as I need to start to wear a tie weekly, probably need 2 whites and a light blue? or should I pay more for AC ?

13. Annadale

Annadale Senior member

so where do you guys recommend for a good quality shirt for under $800 hkd as I need to start to wear a tie weekly, probably need 2 whites and a light blue? or should I pay more for AC ?

Bang per buck, Lee Baron Far East Mansion Middle Road Kowloon.

Do some searching, son, there are a wealth of threads on Hong Kong tailor made shirts.

14. dbc

dbc Senior member

I'd never heard that before. Is that what they told you?

ya

15. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

For those of you who have used both Gordon Yao and Lee Baron, which one has a better selection of fabrics? Or are they in completely different price brackets that it isn't realistic to compare the two?

I'm interested in getting a couple of sport coats made and considering commissioning one at each tailor. But my main dilemma is which to visit first? Perhaps I choose a fabric at tailor #1 and when I get to tailor #2, they have the same fabric I had already selected at the first place but not much else that interests me. I would have to go back and change my fabric selection at the first tailor.

Oh, and I am not interested in CMT.