The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Affiliate Vendor

Hi Obama, if you are interested I'd be more than willing to offer up our services. You can visit our official affiliate thread if you like for some reviews on our products.
    We can help you with a full canvas suit for around your budget of $500 USD and would welcome a review from you as well.
    Feel free to send me a PM thanks.

2. urgo

urgo Member

I recently was in HK and went to Jantzen to buy shirts, on the mostly-good reviews from this site. My general verdict is that they make a nice-fitting cheap shirt. I guess for $55, maybe that's all one can reasonably expect. I got two white shirts and three striped ones. I'm happier with the white ones, as I selected a textured material for both that is more substantial than the material that the striped shirts are made from. Perhaps I didn't get to the swatches of higher quality, but I simply was looking through the books of material I was handed when I asked for stripes. This material is very thin and wrinkles easily. My sleeves were wrinked for the day simply from the act of putting on my tie. I could go to Century 21 and get shirts from a material of this quality for $15.00. US. The construction and fit would obviously be much worse, however.

Most of my daily-wear shirts are Brooks Brothers wrinkle-free, and I would not rate the Jantzen material to be in that range of quality. The fit is somewhat better, however, as they were custom-made.

I see that some people in here have had issues with the fit of Jantzen's shirts, but this seems to be more a problem with providing them with measurements and doing it all over the internet. I was meausured in the store, and I don't have any major issues with the fit. I do wish they were tapered more at the waist (I asked for a slimmer fit, but these shirts turned out to be slightly fuller at the middle and the waist than the BB slim-fit shirts I wear), but they nevertheless look fine on me. I also wish that they were longer (they're about three inches shorter than what I usually wear) but that's my own fault I guess for not specifying a length. I would caution any first-time users to maybe ask for an additional 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the collars, as my shirt came back from the launderers with a collar that buttoned a bit more snugly than I prefer, though still quite usable.

The in-store customer service is not on the level of what one would get in the US, but I guess you're not paying US bespoke prices, either.

I have a stockier build that is best complemented by a custom-made shirt (5'8" tall, 17" neck, 49" chest, 36" waist, 32" sleeves) - suits too, obviously - so I wanted to make this work, as I do go to HK every few years and the ability to get a decent custom-made shirt from a reputable vendor for around $50 is obviously appealing.

I would be willing to give them another chance if the stuff I bought is holding up after several months of wear.

3. borbor

borbor Senior member

Just came back from a 2-week asia trip. Hong Kong and Taiwan were mainly my stops.

Had two shirts made in taiwan, I actually wasn't even going to buy shirts in taiwan but I wasn't sorry that I did. Wife and I were walking around near our hotel (sunroute taipei) and she went inside a store to look. I took a peek at the tailor next door that had a sign reading "4 mtm shirts for 100 usd"

Popped in to ask, if you wanted to upgrade your fabric, it'll cost more. For the ballers here, you can stick to the tailors in HKG; there aren't anything to choose from the name mills in this shop. I popped in on 4:30pm on the day before I fly back to HKG (flight leaves at 7pm the next day). I told him my situation, he told me "no problem. I'll deliver it to your hotel tonight around 10:30 to 11, we open at 10 tomorrow, if it needs alterations, bring it back, I'll have it for you before you fly out"

Ordered two shirts, he took my measurements. We discussed button hole thread colours and button colours. I ordered two shirts that I'd wear on more casual basis simply because I wasn't entirely sure if he's legit (altho the sign on the store says they used to be inside the Hilton in Taipei).

1030p rolls around, front desk calls and says I have a package. Go downstairs and get the shirts to try them on. Fit was bang on. I've tried 4 shirt places + 1 bespoke tailor here locally and only 1 other mtm place have got the fit down right the first time. Collar wasn't too stiff but had a great roll to it; split yoke at the back just as I ordered and I didn't need to go back. GREAT stuff. Now if I can only dig up my receipt and see where they were, that'd be even better. Even my wife who has an eye for detail (being an architect) was quite impressed.

The price for 2 shirts? 1800 NTD. 1 USD = 29.4 at the bank exchange, so do the math :)

Paid a visit to Dream Bespoke in Central over at HKG. Talked to Ricky about what I wanted. I didn't need another suit just yet; so I opted for a blazer. Experience was a positive one. He did admit that my fabric criteria wasn't the easiest to get to w/o having to blow a huge chunk of cash, so we settled on something else (that I ended up loving). Acutally post 854 has the fabric I ended up deciding on, the mirage 28420.

Very very very accomodating. Ricky handles the front end and he's got a few more experienced tailors doing the work in the back end; but the result was superb for a first visit (and the narrow window that he had to do the blazer up for me). Would def recommend.

Also popped into Merino Bros to order up some fabric. Gonna get a suit done using Frontier come spring time.

4. slagg666

slagg666 New Member

Hi All

First time posting. I read through the whole thread and I don't believe I found the answer to my following questions:

Do Gordon Yao, WW Chan, Peter Lee(Lee Baron), Simpson Sin make working pant side tabs?

I know Gordon Yao, Chan, and Simpson Sin travel to NY. Does Peter Lee?

Thanks.

5. slagg666

slagg666 New Member

Borbor, if you find out the address of the shirt tailor in Taipei, please let me know. I'm going to Taiwan in the next few months. thanks.

6. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Yes; he does. He even has a showroom there.

7. porcupine85

porcupine85 Member

@slagg666

Not sure about Gordon Yao and Simpson but Chan and Peter can handle side tabs. Those shouldn't be a problem to an average tailor?

8. iamchristianman

iamchristianman New Member

I only know Y William Yu and WW Chan. And I try to made the suit on these shops before. The price seems to have the different.

9. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

LeeBaron does side straps too, as others have said. Fairly simple really.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I don't know where Borbor went but I used to live in TPE and I know this place right in the middle of town in Da'an.

Nobility Custom Tailor
    ADDRESS: B1, 113 Sec, 1 Da An Road, Taipei
    TELEPHONE: (02) 27764766
    FAX: (02) 27717943
    E-MAIL: [email protected]
    WEB: www.nobility.com.tw

11. Charlie 8

Charlie 8 Member

Hi all,

Im new here and have recently got excited about suits since moving to Hong Kong (much more affordable than London) and recently got a blazer done from a place called PT or Practical Tailor, but I noticed from reading this Hong Kong tailor thread that there is no info about them (that i can see), and thought it would be good to share and make a first contribution to you guys. My french colleague who had been in HK for over 7 years recommended them, who had suits from PT before they spun out from Tai Pan Row around 2-3 years ago. Apparently, a very low profile tailor working on existing clients.

I am not aware of any other tailor in Hong Kong who can produce Milanese buttonholes. Im really happy with the outcome and goodbye to my off the rack Brook Brothers blazer. Couple pics of my new blazer below. Any other recommendations, please kindly let me know.

PT - http://practicaltailor.com

http://imageshack.com/a/img854/2890/mm5h.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img20/7431/5ox8.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

12. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Charlie

I think the fit, lapels and silhouette are excellent as far as I can see from that picture.

Qualifications: you seem to be leaning a bit to your left for some reason; button stance could be one inch higher; and can't get a feel for the cloth from the photos.

Well done. At the risk of appearing gauche, what price for that garment?

Regards
    Stiva

13. BenjiRob

BenjiRob Member

You're sleeves look too short, do the jacket sleeve buttons work or fake?

14. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

So far as I can see the jacket and shirt sleeves are both within perfect tolerances.

15. BenjiRob

BenjiRob Member

They would be within acceptable tolerances if the jacket length was shorter. For sleeves to be that length the jacket length should also fall a little above the crotch. Because the jacket length is more traditional it looks very out of proportion, I am a perfectionist though so I am talking no more than qtr to half an inch or possibly half inch on the right sleeve and Qtr on the left, as you can see they are both not equal and the tailor in hong kong should have made one sleeve longer to accommodate for this slope, but I guess for MTM from Hong Kong it is acceptable, but for Bespoke in Australia this wouldn't be acceptable.