1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Thanks. merino.

I'll definitely look at the mirage. Nice recommendation. I will pick plain pattern for such less conservative color though.

2. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Indeed. That's why I always fit should outweigh workmanship. At the end of day, fit is what everyone on the street can first notice.

3. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

Hello all,

I'm doing a trip to Asia in March with some friends, we're in HK for 4 days, would it be possible to get some custom suiting done in that time? And if so, any recommendations or approximations on price?

Thanks!

4. Stiva

Stiva Senior Member

You won't get anything decent in a 4 day turnaround. When I went in January there was a minimum 9 day turnaround for the proper number of fittings, etc. And better not to get one of the 24 hour jobs.

Price fluctuates commensurate with quality. I think about US$600 before you start getting anything decent, going up to about US$2000.

5. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

Not worth my time then you suppose?

6. Stiva

Stiva Senior Member

Depends what you're after - but nothing worthwhile w/i 4 days in my experience.

7. RogerC

RogerC Distinguished Member

You could have one, perhaps two fittings in that time and have the suit shipped to you.

8. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

I wrote a bit about my experience with Simpson Sin, and have posted some of my suits. They do very quick turnaround (same day first fitting for some fabrics), and are about 4-6000 HKD for a 2 pc suit.

9. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

Have a link?

10. JTA

JTA Senior Member

Make sure to email them first before going there hence they can slot their time for you. To me four days would be the minimal. I would not recommend any less than that.

At the very least on the first day they can do the measurements then do the first fitting on the second day and the second fitting on the last day. Then they can post the final result to you.

Depending on how busy and how good the tailors are, another way is that you arrive in the morning and ask them to do the measurements first thing in the morning and come back again at night time to do the first fitting. Then the second fitting can be done on the third day morning and maybe you can take the suit with you if your flight on the fourth day is at night.

11. Digital Man

Digital Man New Member

First post actually .......was in HK for three days, arrived Sat. 11/23. Headed over to Gordon Yao straight away to get measured. Returned Monday 11/25 for a fitting and that was it. Picked up one suit and three Thomas Mason shirts for 10K HK.

So it can be done ...............and yes I did make an appointment prior to arriving.

Very confident everything will come out great but I'm not hard to fit and I've never owned a suit that didn't look good on me........ at least that is what I was always told until I stopped handing out $100's like they grew on trees. Funny how that works.

12. phillycheese

phillycheese Well-Known Member

Yao quoted me $13k for starting price of one suit. Getting a suit plus 3 shirts for $10k must have been back in 2005.

13. phillycheese

phillycheese Well-Known Member

Lot of bankers work in Central or over by ICC. Not a lot work in TST. WW Chan is just moving to be closer to their clientele.

14. Digital Man

Digital Man New Member

Not sure what he quoted you as far as yarn but that's what I paid last week and it was their entry level suit. Obviously it goes up from there and one can spend up to $30K if they so desire.