• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

obama

Reaction score
I need some help from experts of Hong Kong tailors. I cannot afford the price range of WW Chan, A Man. For CMT around $500 range, do you guys have good suggestion for a full canvassed suit? Also, any suggestion on a casual dark green odd jacket and a brown casual suits? Thanks.

Merino Bros

Reaction score

I need some help from experts of Hong Kong tailors. I cannot afford the price range of WW Chan, A Man. For CMT around $500 range, do you guys have good suggestion for a full canvassed suit? Also, any suggestion on a casual dark green odd jacket and a brown casual suits? Thanks.

Hi Obama,

You may take a look of the list of our partnered tailors. All of them are producing quality full canvassed suit. Among them, Dreambespoke and Browns Tailor should fit your CMT budget.

For your fabric choice,
1) Dark green jacket

if you are looking for winter jacket, Porter &Harding Thornproof has nice green donegal fabric. Also,Hartwist, Glenroyal, Glorious Twelfth, Harris Tweed offer various choices of tweed.

on the other hand, if you are looking for summwr jacket, there are many great patterns with background color as dark green in Mirage collection.

2) Brown causal suit,

I saw from other post that you have already got a Harrisons Mersolair navy blue linen jacket, Im sure you should have appreciated the merit of this quality linen. For the same reason, brown Mersolair linen is a good choice to be your next causal suit. If you prefer wool, Harrisons Frontier also has several patterns of brown color. The mildly coarse texture of Frontier offers nice hint of causal taste.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's WW Chan. I'm very happy with very other facet of the suit, but at first there were wrinkles right next to the lapel. I brought it to them, they pressed it, and it went away momentarily, but came back immediately. They had a longer look at it and decided the canvass was not fitted properly (had too much material) and spent 2 weeks or so fixing it, and I just got it back. The wrinkles near the lapel is gone now, but there are still some bubbling near the edge. I looked up pictures of well made suits being worn, and I just don't see that bubbling; it makes it so the area beneath the button whole at the edge is not one smooth flat surface. I'll post a picture of before (flash, see the wrinkles on the left; this has been mostly fixed now): [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] Like I said, the picture I posted just now was from my suit newly pressed after getting it back from them, and having rested it on the hanger for half a day. I've only worn it on to try, so it's not like I've spent a day in the suit and it's gotten wrinkled. It's not even a matter of wrinkes, there aren't folds or anything, it seems like the fabric is not matched properly and as such there's some bubbling out, and it remains even if I pull them on the side, and like I said it was pressed just before specifically when I pointed it out to them. I didn't let it sit long enough to check since I assumed they must have made sure everything's fixed by now now that I've been back and forth a few times. Should've waited I guess. I mean it seems like a small thing to complain but imo that part of the suit is one of the more noticable parts aside from the shoulder and lapel so it's not really unimportant. It just doesn't look smooth and it looks very distracting especially the suit being a smooth (ahem) black makes any non smooth surface reflect light differently enough that I think it's really distracting visually. At this point I've been back and forth the shop about 7 times and it's actually quite frustrating as I'm leaving HK soon too. edit: Added extra photos:
You seem to have something bulging in your left in-breast pocket.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that price will not get you anything of any quality so it will be interesting who the down market tailors offering such claims are.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming that maybe their lease ran out in TST and figured their business was booming they needed a larger location.

I think they own the shop and workshop at TST, people said they sell the site in TST, and lease the shop in Central.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that price will not get you anything of any quality so it will be interesting who the down market tailors offering such claims are.

How do you know, GBR?

I saw Dream's suit, althought they are not top quailty, but I don't think they are "anything of any quality"
I will said they are "reasonable quailty" in that price range.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I mean I've posted a few suits I had made and while they are not comparable to the better suits, I hardly think even those with more refined taste would call them outright shameful or embarrassing to wear (as far as I can tell anyway, I mean, I checked and you actually said you liked my jacket too, which was less than 4k HKD so about that price range). Certainly I feel like it's more than acceptable for those who cannot afford more expensive tailors to go for these.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean I've posted a few suits I had made and while they are not comparable to the better suits, I hardly think even those with more refined taste would call them outright shameful or embarrassing to wear (as far as I can tell anyway, I mean, I checked and you actually said you liked my jacket too, which was less than 4k HKD so about that price range). Certainly I feel like it's more than acceptable for those who cannot afford more expensive tailors to go for these.

There's plenty of tailors that are good in HK and elsewhere and just because they are not posted on these parts does not mean they are not good. If you like what your tailor makes and are happy with it then really no need for our approval.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah right, Mr Know It All. $500 for CMT (about HK$3-4k) is more than enough to get decent quality in terms of tailoring skill and construction. Styling will be subjective.

obama

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs.

Merino, I saw the drapers donegal green jacket posted in the discuss dot com thread. It is exactly the color, surface finishing, and casual feel I am looking for. That will be very helpful if you can recommend an specific fabric that is sinmilar from what you mentioned. I want it four seasons. So anything 11oz or even better to be lighter will be great.

Workmanship is something I am still learning to appreciate and distinguish from good and bad. To me, nice fit and good fabric already guarentee good suits. What else I will expect on workmanship for a 2,000 suit from a 400 suit? Assuming the 400 dollar tailors are willing to attend to details and makes a full canvassed suit to fit me nicely, what extra I can enjoy if I pay for the 1600 difference? Is it the stiching? Matching pattern? Or what? Sometime I feel chasing those details is a bit nitpicking. And you have to really learn and have good eyes to appreciate that. For the benefit of my wallet, maybe I should not be educated to that level. Any thoughts?

Merino Bros

Reaction score
To be honest, our position should be neutral and independent. However, since some members have doubt about the quality of our partnered tailors, we think we better share our own experience.

Let me take Dream Bespoke as an example. With 500usd budget for CMT of a 2 piece suit, you can ask for hand stitched canvas, pad stitching lapels, using Lear Browne Dunsford(LBD) canvas, LBD real horn buttons with attentive services, what else can you ask for?:satisfied:

But bear in mind, there has been a long queue already because many local Hong Kong forumers have exposed this kind of hidden gems already.:cool:

Last edited:

Merino Bros

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs.

Merino, I saw the drapers donegal green jacket posted in the discuss dot com thread. It is exactly the color, surface finishing, and casual feel I am looking for. That will be very helpful if you can recommend an specific fabric that is sinmilar from what you mentioned. I want it four seasons. So anything 11oz or even better to be lighter will be great.

Workmanship is something I am still learning to appreciate and distinguish from good and bad. To me, nice fit and good fabric already guarentee good suits. What else I will expect on workmanship for a 2,000 suit from a 400 suit? Assuming the 400 dollar tailors are willing to attend to details and makes a full canvassed suit to fit me nicely, what extra I can enjoy if I pay for the 1600 difference? Is it the stiching? Matching pattern? Or what? Sometime I feel chasing those details is a bit nitpicking. And you have to really learn and have good eyes to appreciate that. For the benefit of my wallet, maybe I should not be educated to that level. Any thoughts?
Thornproof 62026 should be the pattern you like. But for Donegal, it is usually towards autumn/winter jacket. If you are looking for Hong Kong 4 seasons jacketing,I will suggest Mirage, which is wool+silk+linen at 280/290g.

This Mirage 28420,for example, should be a nice candidate for a stylish causal jacket
fing02[1].gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Workmanship is something I am still learning to appreciate and distinguish from good and bad. To me, nice fit and good fabric already guarentee good suits.

Be careful not to get drawn too much into workmanship at the expense of good fit. From what I've seen, Chan for example has excellent workmanship, probably the best I've seen- all the seams are perfect, everything is very tidy, feels very durable, etc. But I wasn't too impressed by the fit, and I think the canvassing could have been a lot more structured/stiffer, and the trousers needed more ironwork.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads