1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Chan suit definitely much expensive than PT.

I usually spend 12-18k for my suit there...

Btw I tried PL last month, the handwork is not as nice as Chan but the fitting seems looking good. My co worker give some good feedback too.

2. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Chan will be roughly double the cost.

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Really? So what's the price for a suit at Practical?

4. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

I haven't been to PT, but extrapolating from Charlie's experience:

5000 for the jacket in Minnis fresco plus, say, 2000 for pants equals 7000.

Roughly half what it would cost at Chan. Similar price to LB.

5. BenjiRob

BenjiRob Member

Definitely send me a message when the event is on and I'll come down to show you the suit in person.

you mention in your post "I think the rules are slightly relaxed for odd jacketing c/w suiting" . This is acceptable for a mediocre Tailor or Made to measure tailor.

A good bespoke tailor would reinforce one of your shoulders a little for the drooped shoulder and in most cases make one of the sleeves longer than the other.

Keep in mind with the sloped shoulder means you have a shorter side panel as well, meaning a good bespoke tailor would construct each side slightly different, to eliminate bunching. Good bespoke tailors construct the suit to hide the bodies flaws. This can't be achieved with made to measure, as the main work and most important part of a bespoke suit is in the pattern.

If in Australia I recommend Germanicos as I had the above tweaks on mine as well as I also had a drop in one shoulder. I believe they are in Sydney too, however I disagree that Sydney has better tailors than Melbourne wholeheartedly. What do you base that comment on?

6. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Could be the fact that this is closer to the work places of their local clients, that the area fits their upscale price point better or that they want to save their customers from the unavoidable street hustlers at TST ("make you a very nice suit in 24 hours" , "want a fake Rolex")

7. Charlie 8

Charlie 8 Member

Hi Tucker

Ordered my suit. Can share with you guys the pricing from Practical Tailor. In a nutshell, starting price ranges from roughly HK$6.5K upwards for a two piece suit.

I went for a navy fabric, from Scabal, 140s Cashmere and Wool mix, although I was also tempted to go for Harrison's from the Frontier collection, which was a weightier fabric, similar to Fresco but with a finer weave.

The Scabal was HK$12k, Harrison's HK$9k. I opted for one pair of trousers only, with the view of reordering after seeing through the completion of the suit.

For the better know tailors, Andy at PT mentioned a ball park of around HK$ 17-19 for the Scabal. Though as this level, aside from construction processes, premiums tend to be a bit more subjective, say brand, fit, house style and amongst other things a longer waiting list.

Merry Christmas. Will keep you guys updated.

Charlie

8. billbro

billbro Active Member

Business must be booming, I spent around $11,000 at Lee Baron around a week ago for a VBC 110 suit and a dozen or so shirts. Admittedly not the worst price in the world, but bearing in mind most of the shirts were using house fabrics and only three had non-fused collars. However, Peter was asking for $5,300 for a half canvas VBC 110 and from memory I paid $3,900 two years ago!

I might have to give Dream Bespoke a try next time around depending on how happy I am with what Peter turns around - especially if I can get a full canvas for 5,600. I've changed quite drastically in mold and fit into a drop 7 now and Peter didn't exactly take too many measurements - he requested that I leave my OTR Suit Supply Napoli with him as a reference instead.

If I wasn't short on time 1 day stop over in HK, 1.5 stop over on the way back I would have checked out SS or DB.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  9. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Well-Known Member

billbro, unfortunately I don't think it's due to the fact that business is booming. In the last 2 years in Hong Kong property prices have gone up in some areas as much as 100%. The price increase is probably made just to stay profitable! It is increasingly hard to earn a living in Hong Kong as a tailor unfortunately!

10. 1up

1up Senior member

I've got a weekend in HK, obviously not enough time to get a full suit...

What about getting a few pairs of nice trousers, and then having them mailed to me. Worthwhile?

11. Alex-ModaR

Hi 1up, if you wanted to come visit our store do let me know thanks!

12. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

I figure this is the place to ask.
    Does anyone have advice for buying cloth for CMT in Hong Kong or Shanghai? How to get good quality without relying on the assurances of some, ah, morally flexible phlegm-spitter in a fabric market?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

yes.

14. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Don't.

15. Alex-ModaR

Hi 32-20, fyi any decent fabric would not be sold in areas like the Sheung Wan market or Sham Shui Po. Those areas tend to sell mainland Chinese or lower quality fabrics only. For luxury European fabrics like Loro Piana, Zegna, etc you would need to have an existing relationship with the provider (leave sums of at least $50-100K HSD as a deposit). Sorry to break it to you!

16. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

I'm inclined to believe you.
    I was in the South Bund Fabric Market in Shanghai today. I told myself I wouldn't buy anything on my first trip to the area, but I wasn't even remotely tempted. I was told by one vendor that they don't have anything without cashmere in it. Maybe throwing the word cashmere onto the label is just their way of saying "super happy auspicious sincere good fortune high quality" in English. In another vendor I covered the label and asked if there was cashmere in the fabric; was told no; showed the label, and was assured that a label is just a label and doesn't mean anything. Not in this market, for sure.
    About half the "wool" stock is marked as "Super 880s" or "Super 220s." I did notice a catalogue with labels written entirely in Chinese. I'll have to research the relevant characters and see if these catalogues lie as enthusiastically.
    Still, I'm holding out hope for some 100% wool with a low super number; I'm new to this fabric business, but my impression was that thicker, rougher fabrics (my preference) are cheaper, or more likely to be found in a low end retailer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1 to this. Most of the "designer" fabric in Western Market (Sheung Wan) is counterfeit Chinese crap. Some of the "wool" isn't even wool. One of the vendor's sons himself confessed this to me. (Not like I wasn't already suspicious!) Good luck finding some good cloth.

@32-20 re: your post above. My comment here is not to say that there aren't some decent mid-lower end fabrics here that can be had for a reasonable price. It's just that they are likely priced beyond what they actually are and it will be up to you to identify, confront and drive a really hard bargain. In my experience, most Chinese sales people will give in if you really call their bluff and bargain accordingly. You just need to show them you know what you're talking about.

18. Alex-ModaR

What sort of fabric are you looking to buy? And for what purpose are you looking to buy just the fabric?
    Let me know and I might be able to give you some tips. Most of the ones in Shanghai will be garbage to be quite frank, the Chinese ones are all counterfeit with their Super 220 wool hahaha.

For us (Moda Republic), we have had to leave money directly with providers here in HK, or in some instances with some in Europe. If you think about it from a Tailor's perspective it is actually better that these fabric providers do not just sell fabric to anyone on the street as it helps to maintain the brand premium. Good luck!

19. 32-20

32-20 Active Member

Plain charcoal worsted - maybe some pale grey, all ideally European winter weight, but the odds are looking vanishingly small. It'd be for a suit from a mid-range Hong Kong tailor. In providing the fabric myself, I'm hoping to cut down costs rather than pursue a greater degree of customisation.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

For European winters, you're looking at 13oz or more. Generally, for entry-level fabrics, CMT isn't cheaper. For example, MyTailor charges more for CMT than they charge for their cheapest shirts. If you can find a HK tailor who stocks 13oz cloth, just go with what they have. Otherwise, check out Harrison's Burley on eBay.