The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Here is the new quote:

To add to that: sports coat from Gordon Yao is 5200 CMT

2. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Here is the new quote:

3. JTA

JTA Senior member

Thank you for the information, much appreciate that.

4. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

thanks fishball, guess its going to be y william yu for me.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

thanks fishball, guess its going to be y william yu for me.

Did prices remain the same over there?

6. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

Did prices remain the same over there?
    close enough, 5k. i didn't expect yao to go up so dramatically.

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

close enough, 5k. i didn't expect yao to go up so dramatically.

I agree. Yao went up astronomically. I guess he wants to discourage CMT

8. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Although, could someone enlighten me as to why you would want to discourage CMT?

Look at the numbers: let's say my cost as a tailor to change a length of cloth into a coat is 1000, and I use cloth worth 500. Markup on both, 50% Total cost: 1500, profit:750, customer pays 2250. Now let's say customer brings own cloth. I lose the 50% markup on the cloth, so I raise my markup for the tailoring: rather than 1500, I charge 1750. No profit difference to me, if customer wants to pay the retail prices for fabric, that's his own problem.

Of course, I can imagine there are some problems related to things going wrong. That's why the tailors I frequented, at least, explicitly warned me that if anything goes wrong, it's my liability and not theirs. I can also imagine tailors not wanting to work with substandard cloth, but when something comes from Minnis, London Lounge, Harrisons, or whatever, that is not quite the case.

So am I missing something here?

9. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

Although, could someone enlighten me as to why you would want to discourage CMT?

Look at the numbers: let's say my cost as a tailor to change a length of cloth into a coat is 1000, and I use cloth worth 500. Markup on both, 50% Total cost: 1500, profit:750, customer pays 2250. Now let's say customer brings own cloth. I lose the 50% markup on the cloth, so I raise my markup for the tailoring: rather than 1500, I charge 1750. No profit difference to me, if customer wants to pay the retail prices for fabric, that's his own problem.

Of course, I can imagine there are some problems related to things going wrong. That's why the tailors I frequented, at least, explicitly warned me that if anything goes wrong, it's my liability and not theirs. I can also imagine tailors not wanting to work with substandard cloth, but when something comes from Minnis, London Lounge, Harrisons, or whatever, that is not quite the case.

So am I missing something here?

In yaos case, he used to charge 700 usd for cmt, and 1100 for entry level cloth. He was obviously making a ton of money on that entry level cloth, so his increase may be bringing things in line with what you mentioned above. Another possibility is that he may get better prices for fabric if he orders larger quantities.

10. JTA

JTA Senior member

I prefer not to comment on the price subject as different businesses have different pricing strategies and cost structure.
    If I find the price is unreasonable for the budget then I will just move on to find a better alternative however if I don't mind paying the price then I will stick. Simple as that.

11. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

I prefer not to comment on the price subject as different businesses have different pricing strategies and cost structure.
    If I find the price is unreasonable for the budget then I will just move on to find a better alternative however if I don't mind paying the price then I will stick. Simple as that.

Agreed, we can theorize about why this or that happened, but at the end of the day, we have to vote with our wallets.

12. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

^ Yes, but I would also like to calculate what would give me the better deal, especially as I have to time my fabric purchases and bespoke commissions in line with visits to Hong Kong. Hence, I'd like to know in time if it is (a) possible (b) a good idea to purchase a certain fabric and go CMT, or have the tailor obtain the fabric.

And for non-commercially available fabrics (such as the London Lounge) or "out of print" fabrics, CMT is the only option. This is the one reason I do not understand WW Chan's decision to not do CMT full stop.

13. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

^ Yes, but I would also like to calculate what would give me the better deal, especially as I have to time my fabric purchases and bespoke commissions in line with visits to Hong Kong. Hence, I'd like to know in time if it is (a) possible (b) a good idea to purchase a certain fabric and go CMT, or have the tailor obtain the fabric.

And for non-commercially available fabrics (such as the London Lounge) or "out of print" fabrics, CMT is the only option. This is the one reason I do not understand WW Chan's decision to not do CMT full stop.

WW Chan stopped doing CMT for the exact reasons you stated above regarding sub-standard cloth.

14. stylomilo

stylomilo Well-Known Member

Reasons for refusing CMT , apart from the sub standard cloth is also the need to re-cut when issues arise during the fittings. In certain cases where matching patterns are required, the customer may not provide sufficient fabric.

Be that as it may I wonder if any member have any experiences with regards to CMT for shirts with the tailors mentioned in this thread? If the answer is in the affirmative , what costs have they quoted for this service?

15. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Reasons for refusing CMT , apart from the sub standard cloth is also the need to re-cut when issues arise during the fittings. In certain cases where matching patterns are required, the customer may not provide sufficient fabric.

Be that as it may I wonder if any member have any experiences with regards to CMT for shirts with the tailors mentioned in this thread? If the answer is in the affirmative , what costs have they quoted for this service?

CMT for shirts at Ascot Chang is HK$750(700 last month). The high end CMT price is going up and up, they used to be 450 at around 2003.
    Peter Lee was 200+, depend on what you want.