• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the new quote:

Originally Posted by afterglow
Gordon Yao wants HKD7,500 for the suit, HKD 2,200 for a vest.

mrclam

Reaction score
thanks fishball, guess its going to be y william yu for me.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrclam
thanks fishball, guess its going to be y william yu for me.

Did prices remain the same over there?

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Did prices remain the same over there?
close enough, 5k. i didn't expect yao to go up so dramatically.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrclam
close enough, 5k. i didn't expect yao to go up so dramatically.

I agree. Yao went up astronomically. I guess he wants to discourage CMT

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although, could someone enlighten me as to why you would want to discourage CMT?

Look at the numbers: let's say my cost as a tailor to change a length of cloth into a coat is 1000, and I use cloth worth 500. Markup on both, 50% Total cost: 1500, profit:750, customer pays 2250. Now let's say customer brings own cloth. I lose the 50% markup on the cloth, so I raise my markup for the tailoring: rather than 1500, I charge 1750. No profit difference to me, if customer wants to pay the retail prices for fabric, that's his own problem.

Of course, I can imagine there are some problems related to things going wrong. That's why the tailors I frequented, at least, explicitly warned me that if anything goes wrong, it's my liability and not theirs. I can also imagine tailors not wanting to work with substandard cloth, but when something comes from Minnis, London Lounge, Harrisons, or whatever, that is not quite the case.

So am I missing something here?

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RogerC
Although, could someone enlighten me as to why you would want to discourage CMT?

Look at the numbers: let's say my cost as a tailor to change a length of cloth into a coat is 1000, and I use cloth worth 500. Markup on both, 50% Total cost: 1500, profit:750, customer pays 2250. Now let's say customer brings own cloth. I lose the 50% markup on the cloth, so I raise my markup for the tailoring: rather than 1500, I charge 1750. No profit difference to me, if customer wants to pay the retail prices for fabric, that's his own problem.

Of course, I can imagine there are some problems related to things going wrong. That's why the tailors I frequented, at least, explicitly warned me that if anything goes wrong, it's my liability and not theirs. I can also imagine tailors not wanting to work with substandard cloth, but when something comes from Minnis, London Lounge, Harrisons, or whatever, that is not quite the case.

So am I missing something here?

In yaos case, he used to charge 700 usd for cmt, and 1100 for entry level cloth. He was obviously making a ton of money on that entry level cloth, so his increase may be bringing things in line with what you mentioned above. Another possibility is that he may get better prices for fabric if he orders larger quantities.

JTA

Reaction score
I prefer not to comment on the price subject as different businesses have different pricing strategies and cost structure.
If I find the price is unreasonable for the budget then I will just move on to find a better alternative however if I don't mind paying the price then I will stick. Simple as that.

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
I prefer not to comment on the price subject as different businesses have different pricing strategies and cost structure.
If I find the price is unreasonable for the budget then I will just move on to find a better alternative however if I don't mind paying the price then I will stick. Simple as that.

Agreed, we can theorize about why this or that happened, but at the end of the day, we have to vote with our wallets.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, but I would also like to calculate what would give me the better deal, especially as I have to time my fabric purchases and bespoke commissions in line with visits to Hong Kong. Hence, I'd like to know in time if it is (a) possible (b) a good idea to purchase a certain fabric and go CMT, or have the tailor obtain the fabric.

And for non-commercially available fabrics (such as the London Lounge) or "out of print" fabrics, CMT is the only option. This is the one reason I do not understand WW Chan's decision to not do CMT full stop.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RogerC
^ Yes, but I would also like to calculate what would give me the better deal, especially as I have to time my fabric purchases and bespoke commissions in line with visits to Hong Kong. Hence, I'd like to know in time if it is (a) possible (b) a good idea to purchase a certain fabric and go CMT, or have the tailor obtain the fabric.

And for non-commercially available fabrics (such as the London Lounge) or "out of print" fabrics, CMT is the only option. This is the one reason I do not understand WW Chan's decision to not do CMT full stop.

WW Chan stopped doing CMT for the exact reasons you stated above regarding sub-standard cloth.

stylomilo

Reaction score
Reasons for refusing CMT , apart from the sub standard cloth is also the need to re-cut when issues arise during the fittings. In certain cases where matching patterns are required, the customer may not provide sufficient fabric.

Be that as it may I wonder if any member have any experiences with regards to CMT for shirts with the tailors mentioned in this thread? If the answer is in the affirmative , what costs have they quoted for this service?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylomilo
Reasons for refusing CMT , apart from the sub standard cloth is also the need to re-cut when issues arise during the fittings. In certain cases where matching patterns are required, the customer may not provide sufficient fabric.

Be that as it may I wonder if any member have any experiences with regards to CMT for shirts with the tailors mentioned in this thread? If the answer is in the affirmative , what costs have they quoted for this service?

CMT for shirts at Ascot Chang is HK$750(700 last month). The high end CMT price is going up and up, they used to be 450 at around 2003.
Peter Lee was 200+, depend on what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads