• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Mr. Bi ? Mr. Bi is former head shirt cutter of David Shirt.

I used B&C personally, and also introduced at least 3 of my friends there. From what the shop-keeper Mr Tommy Chow said, they use the shirt-maker 畢師傅 - which I assume is the "Mr Bi" you mentioned.

Mr Chow is said to have worked for David Shirt previously, so I think his claim is at least consistent with his purported place of training (I have heard tailors claiming they "use the same Sifu as WW Chan" but when I asked anything further they start to contradict themselves).

They offer a fitting shirt if one orders three or more shirts - as such, they can deliver a very reasonable fit for even a first project.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. Going to HK later this week on a 7-day business trip (Sat-Fri). Budget of around 5K HKD for a suit. Is it even worth trying to get a suit made?

If so, who would you recommend? My taste runs more toward contemporary, slim, etc.

For slim and contemporary style, you can try the tailors in Hollywood Plaza, Mongkok. They specialize in making slim and modern looking suits especially for young professionals in HK. I know of many real estate consultants, financial planners etc endorsing their product.

If you are okay with ready-to-wear, G2000 Black is a solid choice. But their cut became less slim and grown a bit old-fashioned in recent seasons. So perhaps you have to go back to G2000 for the modern cut.

Hifilover

Reaction score
I used B&C personally, and also introduced at least 3 of my friends there. From what the shop-keeper Mr Tommy Chow said, they use the shirt-maker 畢師傅 - which I assume is the "Mr Bi" you mentioned.

Mr Chow is said to have worked for David Shirt previously, so I think his claim is at least consistent with his purported place of training (I have heard tailors claiming they "use the same Sifu as WW Chan" but when I asked anything further they start to contradict themselves).

They offer a fitting shirt if one orders three or more shirts - as such, they can deliver a very reasonable fit for even a first project.

Similar case as Wong Man Hoi , people claimed he worked in Ascot Chang before . But now , he only measure and cut , remaining work leave for workers . Sifu who claimed worked in Top Tailor Shops before do not mean they offer total same workmanship. Workers or makers are different level , not to mention most use Shenzhen small open workshops. It is just sales gimmick . You need to judge by your own wisdom . Afterall , you get what you pay for .

Hifilover

Reaction score
I wonder B&C still offer CMT at HK$300 as before . Recently , they moved upstair and I have not made anything after they moved .

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Similar case as Wong Man Hoi , people claimed he worked in Ascot Chang before . But now , he only measure and cut , remaining work leave for workers . Sifu who claimed worked in Top Tailor Shops before do not mean they offer total same workmanship. Workers or makers are different level , not to mention most use Shenzhen small open workshops. It is just sales gimmick . You need to judge by your own wisdom . Afterall , you get what you pay for .

I do not know of any shirt-maker who does measure, cut and sewing all by himself/ herself - not even in Italy or Japan. It is understood that once a Sifu leaves a shop he may not have access to the same makers.

In the case of Mr MH Wong (@wongmanhoi1025), he said he worked at Ascot Chang as maker before he opened his own workshop. In the case of B&C, Mr Chow said he worked at David Shirt as a store manager or similar. He is involved in fitting but not cutting or making.

Both offer very nice shirts, according to my rather small brain.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I wonder B&C still offer CMT at HK$300 as before . Recently , they moved upstair and I have not made anything after they moved .

Incidentally, I texted Mr Chow today and may actually visit B&C tomorrow. Will keep you guys informed. Their non-fused cuffs and collar construction is something I miss (the other being Sunshine Shirts House in Jordan, Kowloon).

And, finally, my Part III review for Golden Eagle shirts:

Golden Eagle Shirt Review - Part III
January 16, 2019
https://shirtingfantasy.blogspot.com/2019/01/golden-eagle-shirt-review-part-iii.html

Hope it is of use to those wishing to have some proper shirts made in HK. My reviews of T&A (English bespoke) and Finamore 1925 (Italian MTM) will hopefully be available soon...

Reactions: AWu

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the case of Mr MH Wong (@wongmanhoi1025), I feel he offers works on par with Firenze Simone Abbarchi, which offers no handworks as well

... and bonus is the cats in workshop is too cute and love my treats. Wong once told they are so picky with food.

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
In the case of Mr MH Wong (@wongmanhoi1025), I feel he offers works on par with Firenze Simone Abbarchi, which no hand works as well

... and bonus is the cats in workshop is too cute and love my treats. Wong once told they are so picky with food.

Some of those Italian makers with no handwork are over-rated by you-know-who, and we all know some people tend to have blind faith in KOLs...

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of those Italian makers with no handwork are over-rated by you-know-who, and we all know some people tend to have blind faith in KOLs...

For Simone, well it’s referred by Roberto Ugolini and we actually shuffle around their workshop for 2 days. Given that’s my second shirting trial, it still have decent result (only need to add darts back in Hong Kong) but Wong’s pricing and the dearly cats are unbeatable.

OK first I did read the Tom Riddle’s Diary.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
For Simone, well it’s referred by Roberto Ugolini and we actually shuffle around their workshop for 2 days. Given that’s my second shirting trial, it still have decent result (only need to add darts back in Hong Kong) but Wong’s pricing and the dearly cats are unbeatable.

OK first I did read the Tom Riddle’s Diary.

I must admit that I have NOT tried Simone Abbarchi myself. And I tried D'avino also because of you-know-who... :crackup:(so in a way I am slapping my own face)

What I was trying to say is, sometimes I find myself finding more interesting makers than he has mentioned, either by word of mouth or randomly texting makers popping up on Instagram. Some of the makers in Naples charge a similar price to what Simone’s made-to-measure shirts are offered at (link to you-know-who's Diary here), but are bespoke and have around 5-7 handmade steps.

This brings us back to the value proposition, championed especially by people such as some legendary old vehicle lovers: what value does HK tailoring offer? At around EUR 120 Ascot Chang is offering full bespoke (yes, they do have entry-level fabric shirts at that price range), double the charge and they offer almost full handwork (although, the store manager did mention he wouldn't recommend making a "handstitched" series shirt with cheap fabric) and it doubtlessly a beautiful shirt.

P.S. Any knows any progress or updates on Mr you-know-who's Prologue suit?

Reaction score

Is it same apply to your friend, classic car / Michael ? He always says the Sifu work for him are from top tailor (current one is so called an ex WW Chan tailor). From my experience, the final outcome is just 10% from his commitment. Will you warn the newbie here to take caution on Micheal / stay away from him ?

Hifilover

Reaction score
I do not know of any shirt-maker who does measure, cut and sewing all by himself/ herself - not even in Italy or Japan. It is understood that once a Sifu leaves a shop he may not have access to the same makers.

In the case of Mr MH Wong (@wongmanhoi1025), he said he worked at Ascot Chang as maker before he opened his own workshop. In the case of B&C, Mr Chow said he worked at David Shirt as a store manager or similar. He is involved in fitting but not cutting or making.

Both offer very nice shirts, according to my rather small brain.
Shirt maker for Chan makes shirts by him and his wife while another shirt maker for A Man is the same . Not as good as one man make whole shirt but maybe more consistence . (It is what I heard only , not verified .)

Hifilover

Reaction score
Is it same apply to your friend, classic car / Michael ? He always says the Sifu work for him are from top tailor (current one is so called an ex WW Chan tailor). From my experience, the final outcome is just 10% from his commitment. Will you warn the newbie here to take caution on Micheal / stay away from him ?

I think you are an enemy of him .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics