• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
There is a very famous tailor shop in Sham Shui Po name Pak Lam .

No, not that one. The one I am referring to is what people refer to as "The SSP Garage", "Car Bespoke" or "Classic Bespoke (Wan Chai)". I haven't been to that shop for quite a while, and some have told me that the boss of the shop decided to do some more interesting things than tailoring.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually like the blog http://suitcmt.blogspot.com/ (SuitCMT) a lot, for the record. And I actively share the page (presumably, your page, if I was not misinformed) with my friends in need of a budget yet quality suit and can spend time in Mirador.

On the other hand, people who cannot believe us just because we did not provide a proof, are bound to be limited by their shallow imaginations and never reach CMT nirvana :p

This was not what I was trying to say. In fact that particular maker was hired by my friend to go to Sham Shui Po to make suits for others, and the maker actually has a cubicle in Mirador.

That tailor was actually mentioned in the list of CMT makers on SuitCMT. It was because of the special relationship between my friend and that tailor that he managed to get that price. I am sorry if the seemingly low price hurt the self-esteem of any - believe me, you won't want to be my friend and have his sort of crooked relationship with Sifus to enjoy that price!

Indeed, as mentioned in the reply above, I sincerely thank SuitCMT for making these things open and public.

I have tailor friends who did not like the blog, and once scolded me for sharing the page with others. But that's topic for another day...

This is impossible. My friend's SSP operation became a Wan Chai operation about a year ago, and he eventually dissolved his company I think.

And since his makers are all from Mirador (three to four in total, sequentially one at a time), I guess providing his previous shop addresses doesn't exactly help anyone?

If only the world followed this argument, it would indeed be a perfect place. When I was smaller I used to argue with my teacher in Religious Studies using the same point ("no info? it means they don't exist at all"). But now I tend to think that I was being unfair in using the (generally accurate but logically unsound) statement against them. Sometimes things exist, whether you provide the info to prove they exist or not.

I agree with your point about good deals and fabric dealers. Personally, I like the Italian website TESSin (https://www.tessin.it/) where I get most of my Zegna stuff from (they are easier to work with, if you like, understand and can make use of their Italian flexibility). Their ex-VAT price is close to Hang Kong Woollen, and their last length price is way lower than Hang Kong Woollen. And they deliver to my home.

Incidentally, my friend really likes to talk about Church's dress shoes he purchased for HKD 800 - only before I was born :brick:! I am sure if you meet him in person, you can educate him :lol:.

Last but not least, do you know this tailor? Now this is showing the no-longer-existent ;)

B8oLL9yl3jlhNzgDnG_t0cMRWKOhn9T7AP6q-pG5W1AwUwyMZG_nnQquqWT4LdR8jx1twScQL4bcchY65s62EMVthaXNUkdrE4VI3wp01Ko5ackhW3x91Rvs3fAcvJdtwBfxh7t_Sme-kjNHfcBxkkhQS6akDS6A_ZMLGULLLbfeSYSBAblzRFmbHPGPnqTxbihN8Hk6A5uMwgFpGdWcYP8sscnu3BBzMyu-yJ_2Rp242Sh2HpI5FclEr8bFbG0tjOIYh_DOQXnmx1KJoDTeG1XlrlAnewDrB78GS52nGiKxWS8EZKSzxQik9mIrdGUAs4DX2j0kDJErOE96vindtdFX0D4v7mYQY1Yb4IhnqodoaZi2IzY9gmG42X2ys8x7B9itAn8R6PCrb9_viX5rvAXLm2z-oBPQC2Uxvq01WCuUEEVAQWeN1Xp69cu3LflJKMPZbdReokEwp-2mSLjPSwSPFl3nP_bHWNQ1JeWGn93XZq4HZHIWGq-eB0BTlsfYa3UfxNFl1x_XNUgppge2Fh7NhCgW8HjqAw6C0g5nJACQNO5tquwtzXAfuk4WmIzA9t598NvsNgGBAFb1Eii5s7xExXUUSOOYCyrXByU8HhcIClYoUElepDQoWQIk4iPgKBfefp3nLmLxQ8LVsWfn9X7iow=w616-h920-no

(Remembrance is not a bad thing, at least occasionally. Not all things in life need that much of practical utility, I hope.)
my point is to make an open list for consumers to go. don't hire info while many consumers cannot guess what they are about and where to go for something unclear.

this is one of the reasons why I made the blog, make an example, consumers can easily go as they are real. this is everyday real life, real things. this is NOW, not things of 20 years ago. why make it secret? That's why I made the blog for consumers point of view. this is not religious point of view to prove for god's existence.

you want to talk about tailor Lai, I found he was working at 16/F of Mirador when he was working in HK. he is now not available in HK as he is now working in Guangzhou, ie. not available (not open) in HK.

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
On an unrelated note, my new Carlo Riva indigo chambray shirt from Mirador shirtmaker @wongmanhoi1025.

[Fused collar/ cuff construction was deliberately chosen because of the extreme softness and slight stretch of the fabric - which can lead to laundry issues if made as non-fused.]

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
On an unrelated note, my new Carlo Riva indigo chambray shirt from Mirador shirtmaker @wongmanhoi1025.

[Fused collar/ cuff construction was deliberately chosen because of the extreme softness and slight stretch of the fabric - which can lead to laundry issues if made as non-fused.]

Let me know if you want to put your shirt tailor info in my blog. Or, is it already on the shirt tailor list? which floor?

I can put the name only, without the address/contacts (for record only), if the shirt tailor is already too busy.

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Let me know if you want to put your shirt tailor info in my blog. Or, is it already on the shirt tailor list? which floor?

I can put the name only, without the address/contacts (for record only), if the shirt tailor is already too busy.

Don't worry - he is already on your list. For what is worth, @wongmanhoi1025 is the Instagram account of your first shirtmaker entry -

"1) 王師傅 Wong sifu (老香港), 尖沙咀美麗都大廈16/F A7, $300 made in HK, 織字要加 $15. 電話:(852) 9132 8565."

Please amend his surname to "黃". The surcharge is HKD 30 for 3 mm MOP buttons - not the cheaper trocas (total CMT price would be HKD 330 in that case).

Thank you!

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Don't worry - he is already on your list. For what is worth, @wongmanhoi1025 is the Instagram account of your first shirtmaker entry -

"1) 王師傅 Wong sifu (老香港), 尖沙咀美麗都大廈16/F A7, $300 made in HK, 織字要加 $15. 電話:(852) 9132 8565."

Please amend his surname to "黃". The surcharge is HKD 30 for 3 mm MOP buttons - not the cheaper trocas (total CMT price would be HKD 330 in that case).

Thank you!
I will change the last name to "黃".
Earlier this year, he said the quoted price is right.
When customers provide their own buttons, they don't need extra MOP buttons.
MOP buttons is something extra to add on.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I will change the last name to "黃".
Earlier this year, he said the quoted price is right.
When customers provide their own buttons, they don't need extra MOP buttons.
MOP buttons is something extra to add on.

Yes you are right. I was just suggesting you can list the +30 as an option under the entry, like the monogramming.

I am wearing the shirt today. The shirt is well-made and fit is excellent. That said, I have been his client since a few years ago, and have fine-tuned my pattern a number of times. Will post more photos later.

Last edited:

Hifilover

Reaction score

Thank you!

He is one of the best .

extremepc

Reaction score
Looking for a fit check on my new Ascot Chang shirt. This is now the third version of the shirt and I still don’t think its perfect, but want to get a sense from the experts. In my mind there is still too much fabric in the back/lower back - perhaps darts are needed? Apologies for not having shoes on, though I’m focused on the shirt and not the pants (which are from Chan, not AC).

AF84C858-DB50-4E28-9269-1103661EF318.jpeg EB0FFFFA-2CC4-4669-950D-2CFEBE32DC65.jpeg 8B4DB45B-228C-4D5D-B904-F2D93418B2E5.jpeg FC502781-0566-47A5-9290-D702E8E9901C.jpeg 732B8036-E1F2-431B-84AD-2FB00FBA4C27.jpeg 79A685BE-5CF2-4017-88AE-AFC9B9894B47.jpeg 00263701-C1F4-499F-BA62-B64130DAED27.jpeg

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Looking for a fit check on my new Ascot Chang shirt. This is now the third version of the shirt and I still don’t think its perfect, but want to get a sense from the experts. In my mind there is still too much fabric in the back/lower back - perhaps darts are needed? Apologies for not having shoes on, though I’m focused on the shirt and not the pants (which are from Chan, not AC).

View attachment 1082234 View attachment 1082235 View attachment 1082236 View attachment 1082237 View attachment 1082238 View attachment 1082239 View attachment 1082240

Did you ask for a "comfort fit" or tell them you need to have lots of movement?

Personally would prefer shoulders taken in quite a bit. Sometimes the shirt Sifus would argue if you work out/ has thick chest muscles/ has fat shoulders you need that, I tend to disagree - Italian makers illustrate the point nicely. Do ask them to try harder.

Tucking in the shirt further may help. Another way of fair assessment is to leave shirt un-tucked and photo. It allows a better assessment of the waist area fit.

Sleeves seem okay. Don't ask to narrow them down at least. Rotation also seems correct judging from the location of the cuff buttons.

P.S. I am quite partial to Ascot Chang and respect them as a maker, so take what I say with some teaspoons of salt.

extremepc

Reaction score
Thanks for notes, everyone. The shirt was sent out and pressed prior to trying on.

I in fact asked for a slim fit, so the opposite of a comfort fit. This was reiterated during the refitting AND the second refitting, so I really don’t know what to do.

This was tucked in as well as I possibly could have, and tried multiple times, so I don’t think its a tucking problem. I’m fine with the sleeves, though they might be a little long. My problem is primarily with the shoulders and back (both upper and lower back).

My question is what to do from here. The shirt was commissioned from the Peninsula TST location, and then refined in person in Boston during the last trunk show. I won’t be back in Hong Kong until May. I don’t know what to tell them via email for them to get this right, given that this will be the THIRD remake. Any suggestions on specific instructions I should give?

Last edited:

Hifilover

Reaction score
Why not send e mail with photos to Ascot Chang ? I believe they will take care of you .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads