1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11 : Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. gentfromthebay

gentfromthebay Member

Oops I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask, saw a couple comments above were talking about RTW from Suit Supply so might as well asked in here. I am staying in Hong Kong for just 2 weeks so I picked a HK thread with better traffic.

2. clhkg

clhkg Active Member

If you have 2 weeks in Hong Kong and are prepared to pay Pye's price, you should consider having bespoke/ mtm shirts made at tailor shops and you are likely to (hopefully) get better fit than rtw.

3. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

:
    Ascot Chan has RTW.
    or Finamore at Attire House.

4. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

5. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

6. alex20000

alex20000 Member

To the people who have commissioned a suit from Ng Sifu, how is it holding up - still going strong?

7. PekingRoadHK

PekingRoadHK Senior Member

In June, he was in the hospital in HK for about 2 weeks. Now, he is back in business. He said everything is as usual, and he is expecting at least 10 more years before retirement.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018

8. alex20000

alex20000 Member

@PekingRoadHK Thank you. I will be visiting in october, hopefully I will have enough time to produce a suit. How are your suits from Ng Sifu doing - any problems with them?

9. PekingRoadHK

3 large rooms in 16/F 7/F 5/F in Mirador, there are full of tailors of Shanghai workmanship. They know all tailors of Shanghai workmanship in this building. If you look for tailors of Shanghai workmanship, just go ask them. If you want tailors of GuangDong workmanship, there are tailors of Guangdong workmanship in all floors from 4/F to 16/F. We have too many choices.

Most Baotou speak Cantonese only, they don't speak English. Foreigners will have to bring their Cantonese translators to visit BaoTou workshops.

They usually accept CMT. Over 95% of them don't offer fabric, you have to buy your fabric some place else.

10. PekingRoadHK

In HK, high season is Oct until before Chinese new year. Ng sifu really has no low season, he said he is always busy. I always have my suits made during low season, to avoid the risks during high season.

I am a local consumer. I have my suit with dugdale mohair, made by Ng sifu, after Chinese new year. I found the hand feel of mohair is much better than fresco.

For summer time in HK, especially between May and August, I found a shirt is good enough. A suit of fresco, mohair, or any fabric, it is just too much for me.

Mohair from Standeven, Schofield & Smith, Dugdale have similar character of Fresco, for the summer. Fresco is still better for the summer, as it allows better air flow.

11. alex20000

alex20000 Member

Thanks for the advice! I will be visiting for 3 weeks, hopefully that will be enough time. I will get my Cantonese speaking friend to confirm/ book an appointment beforehand!

12. Suit_newbie

Suit_newbie Member

What is Ng Sifu's turnaround time for a suit, both in low and high season? I tried calling him but he wouldn't answer the phone.

13. PekingRoadHK

BaoTou mainly work for tailor shops, they also take CMT order from local customers. What is the production time for high and low season? They usually guarantee 2 weeks delivery with 1 fitting in about a week for tailor shops, as tailor shops are their long term customers. For walk-in customers, there is no guarantee, can be 2 weeks and up to 4 months. Therefore, BaoTou is better for local customers. Foreigners have to confirm the time period when they make the order in the beginning.

They are old tailors, they don't know a thing called "customer service"! In a short term: no service at all, don't like it? then, don't go BaoTou, go tailor shops for services. This is the big difference between tailor shops and BaoTou workshops. You pay more for services. We, local customers, pay less for no service, for the same end product, and this is our choice.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018

14. Suit_newbie

Suit_newbie Member

Well, you had a suit made by Ng Sifu. What was his turnaround time?

15. PekingRoadHK

the last time in 2018, it was after the Chinese new year, 2 weeks.