• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for all the information. I really like what I've seen from Dream bespoke, and it fits into my budget, I'm in medical school and want a suit for residency interviews so anything not off the rack will be better than 99% of applicants. My only concern is that someone had posted in a different forum that dream Bespoke isn't ideal for American body types. I am 6'1 42r 33waist. Do you think I'll be fine going to DB or should I go elsewhere in the same price range

There is no such things as "not fit for American Body Shapes". A respectable bespoke tailor will made a fine suit for anyone. However, I would not put Dream, Hola in a 'respectable' class and any shortcoming merely confirms that neither has cutters/fitters who neither know what they are doing nor care.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm going to Hong Kong soon to have a bespoke suit made for the first time and wanted to know whether it is necessary to wear dress shoes and shirt for the initial measurement (as opposed to the fittings).

I also plan to go to several tailors to sound them out. My budget is around $5k HKD which rules out the likes of WW Chan. Some tailors I've got in mind to visit include E-Italian, Simpson Sin, British Tailors and William Cheng & Sons. Are there any opinions / reviews on them or other there other tailors I should visit?

You can search this thread for reviews there is a great deal to be found on various tailors. You should always wear decent shoes and short when visiting a tailor for the first time and for fittings every time.

I am far from sure that any of these tailors could be described as 'bespoke' as opposed to MTM. You pays your money and takes your chance with them all.

bstv69

Reaction score
There is no such things as "not fit for American Body Shapes". A respectable bespoke tailor will made a fine suit for anyone. However, I would not put Dream, Hola in a 'respectable' class and any shortcoming merely confirms that neither has cutters/fitters who neither know what they are doing nor care.
Thanks for the reply. Would you have any recommendations for other tailors to stop by in that price range, seems like Ng Sifu does some solid work. It seems that Chan and Ascott are out of my price range and having searched some I thought I finally had stumbled on a decent tailor in DB. Any recs are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Would you have any recommendations for other tailors to stop by in that price range. It seems that Chan and Ascott are out of my price range and having searched some I thought I finally had stumbled on a decent tailor in DB. Any recs are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sorry I can't really help you on this given that I patronise the likes of Gordon Yao and AMHS who are well out of your budget.

• Upon further thought I would suggest that you look at some of my earlier posts as the short comings of many tailors are documents. If you are received by a salesman, turn on your heel and close the door from the outside. They are there for the commission and have little skill in fitting.
  • As a very quick example, at the measuring stage, you should be asked if you keep a wallet in the inside pocket of the coat. Why? Though small an allowance should be made to ensure that you don't have a visible lump to show off.
  • Likewise if you don't use back pockets tell the man that you don't want them. He will assume that you want two without asking because they are a given. Bespoke is about what YOU want not the givens of the house. I would recommend not having back pockets as they break the line of the trousers and they look 'cleaner' without; that is however your choice not mine.
Whatever you do don't be persuaded by the touts at Star Ferry Kowloonside, they sponsors are the lowest of the low. Forget 'copy watches whilst you at it, I understand that these things don't follow the same clock as the rest of us.

bstv69

Reaction score
Sorry I can't really help you on this given that I patronise the likes of Gordon Yao and AMHS who are well out of your budget.

• Upon further thought I would suggest that you look at some of my earlier posts as the short comings of many tailors are documents. If you are received by a salesman, turn on your heel and close the door from the outside. They are there for the commission and have little skill in fitting.
  • As a very quick example, at the measuring stage, you should be asked if you keep a wallet in the inside pocket of the coat. Why? Though small an allowance should be made to ensure that you don't have a visible lump to show off.
  • Likewise if you don't use back pockets tell the man that you don't want them. He will assume that you want two without asking because they are a given. Bespoke is about what YOU want not the givens of the house. I would recommend not having back pockets as they break the line of the trousers and they look 'cleaner' without; that is however your choice not mine.
Whatever you do don't be persuaded by the touts at Star Ferry Kowloonside, they sponsors are the lowest of the low. Forget 'copy watches whilst you at it, I understand that these things don't follow the same clock as the rest of us.

Thanks again for the reply and all of the information. I will continue to do some more reading and see if i can find someone I feel comfortable with. I appreciate the suggestion about removing the back pockets

Vinsep

Reaction score
Can anyone pm me the pricing of Prologue MTM program?

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
I am far from sure that any of these tailors could be described as 'bespoke' as opposed to MTM. You pays your money and takes your chance with them all.

I know there's a difference between bespoke and MTM - the former is made from scratch while MTM often has set templates, but how will I know which of the likes of E-Italian and British Tailors are bespoke or not? I've thought about asking them directly but I envisage they'll say they're all bespoke tailors. Is it due to the number of fittings, price, how long they take to make the suit etc?

Another way of putting it is, what price range am I looking at for a basic material if I want bespoke for a 2 piece suit? $10k HKD? More, less?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$HK10,000 should enable you to get something better than these. Suggest try GT Tailors in Causeway Bay.

bamboo

Reaction score
@GBR I think you mean Grand Tailor. I agree it is a true tailor.

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
Thanks, and is there a particular person at Grand Tailors in Causeway Bay that I should ask for at the measurement / fittings stage?

Otherwise, to summarise, it'll cost at least $10k HKD for a 2-piece canvassed suit to be made from a bespoke tailor. I was hoping to get change from $10k HKD but it is what it is. Anything less and it seems they are not bespoke tailors but MTM.

Eucris

Reaction score
Otherwise, to summarise, it'll cost at least $10k HKD for a 2-piece canvassed suit to be made from a bespoke tailor. I was hoping to get change from $10k HKD but it is what it is. Anything less and it seems they are not bespoke tailors but MTM.
Not necessarily so. However, with anything lower, the quality is likely to be not up to snuff. Always bear in mind, there are very few tailors that take pride in their work. Most "tailors" can't wait to get their grubby hands on your hard earned dosh. Before you part with your dosh, ask yourself, what will this "tailor" deliver? A refined bespoke suit or an expensive rag?

Last edited:

Suit_newbie

Reaction score
Not necessarily so. However, with anything lower, the quality is likely to be not up to snuff. Always bear in mind, there are very few tailors that take pride in their work.

I take it the ones that take pride are tailors like WW Chan, Gordon Yao and AMHC but with that comes a price premium?

Last edited:

bamboo

Reaction score
Thanks, and is there a particular person at Grand Tailors in Causeway Bay that I should ask for at the measurement / fittings stage?

It is always Mr. Hui the boss who takes the measurement. He is not a salesperson.

bamboo

Reaction score

There are also good MTM and bad MTM.
There are good bespoke and bad bespoke too. Formula is not that simple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads