• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PermanentDmg

Reaction score
@PermanentDmg

I used 3 of the tailors you mentioned in the past. Dream Bespoke, Browns and Grand Tailor (Causeway Bay).
I am currently with Browns among them. Grand Tailor offers more structured stuff than Browns and slightly more expensive IIRC.

Baramon is most expensive among them. I have not used them in the past. I might have read somewhere that the old cutter retired etc etc, but I am not certain. Peter Lee. I do not know much about it and status of current operation.

I've visited Baromon and Brown's. Baromon is a bit out of my price range so I'll pass on him unless there's an ultra convincing argument to choose him over my alternatives. I really liked my visit to Brown's so he's my default for now. DB is closed, and I haven't visited Peter Lee or GT so I'll have to see them after.

MrBergschrund

Reaction score
I've visited Baromon and Brown's. Baromon is a bit out of my price range so I'll pass on him unless there's an ultra convincing argument to choose him over my alternatives. I really liked my visit to Brown's so he's my default for now. DB is closed, and I haven't visited Peter Lee or GT so I'll have to see them after.

Did you also get a chance to check out Gordon yao, prologue, ww Chan, and suitaccess?

MrBergschrund

Reaction score
I didn't. Are they worth checking out with a 10k limit?

Check them out to widen your views and options. Pricing .... depends on the fabric but wwc dependently over ur limit. CMT for gy might do the magic. The other two are within your limit.

If you think brown is good and pricing comes first, then the alternative offereings are refinery and fascino.

bamboo

Reaction score
Check them out to widen your views and options. Pricing .... depends on the fabric but wwc dependently over ur limit. CMT for gy might do the magic. The other two are within your limit.

If you think brown is good and pricing comes first, then the alternative offereings are refinery and fascino.

AFAIK, GY does not accept CMT for the first commission and CMT price is above HKD 10,000. That is what I heard from GY about 2 years ago.

plainweave

Reaction score
Thank you for responses, Fishball. I found your knowledge quite helpful.

I was wondering if you can help me further. When you were a customer at Kawa, were you able to get to know / ever serviced by the propretor's sons? As I previously recounted, I stumbled upon the website (http://www.kawa-tailors.com), Facebook (https://m.facebook.com/kawatailors/) and Instagram (@andrewhokawatailors) page of Andrew Ho who seems to have revived / continued the Kawa Tailors name. I have e-mailed him and he confirmed as much.

I was wondering if, from past experience, Mr. Ho's sons were able to produce suits for you that were of the same quality as their father's? I am asking as I am considering getting his services when I next go to HK. Any leads / inputs on this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Yes, Kawa was broken up from AMHC, actually Kawa craftmanship was better than (IMHO) and more expensive than AMHC when they were still at Prince building. But it all gone.

FYI, AMHC style is more Cantonese than Shanghaiese.

realnoob

Reaction score

how would you rate Refinery and Fascino? I reckon they are probably not on par with houses like Brown's or Dream, but how far are they from Dream and Brown's?

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how would you rate Refinery and Fascino? I reckon they are probably not on par with houses like Brown's or Dream, but how far are they from Dream and Brown's?

The price has reflected the difference. Mostly the attention to details and fitting - esp Refinery starts from half canvas, while Dream/Brown full canvas.

Not to mention the house cut of Fascino is kind of trendy or, in local wording, MK/Korean.

Note: I have personal contact with Refinery & Dreams and never got paid.

MrBergschrund

Reaction score

for what i know at the present time, brown is not on par with dream. and all i am saying if one thinks brown's is good, he might want to check out refinery and fascino for cheaper pricing with similar offering, because, i dont really see a big difference between those 3.

IsABellyDad

Reaction score
AFAIK, GY does not accept CMT for the first commission and CMT price is above HKD 10,000. That is what I heard from GY about 2 years ago.

Hm... "There is an exception to every rule." If you are referred to GY by an existing customer, there is a chance that GY will do CMT even for the first commission. And, if I remember correctly, CMT price for a 2-piece should be roughly HKD 10,000. I did only a jacket in Apr 2017 and thus cannot really confirm the price for a 2-piece now - another new year has passed (and thus price may have gone up again...).

bamboo

Reaction score
I am not surprised that he accepts CMT order based on referral. There always is a special treatment.
I had more "walk-in" type customer in mind. It would be roughly around HKD 10K, but should be no less. especially we passed CNY.

bamboo

Reaction score
The price has reflected the difference. Mostly the attention to details and fitting - esp Refinery starts from half canvas, while Dream/Brown full canvas.

Not to mention the house cut of Fascino is kind of trendy or, in local wording, MK/Korean.

Note: I have personal contact with Refinery & Dreams and never got paid.

for what i know at the present time, brown is not on par with dream. and all i am saying if one thinks brown's is good, he might want to check out refinery and fascino for cheaper pricing with similar offering, because, i dont really see a big difference between those 3.

My impression is the same as galileo's one. It is surprising news to me that DB>Brown's and Brown's=Refinery&Fascino.

hippotamus

Reaction score

Surprising and a very blunt statement.

Comparing Browns with Refinery and Fascino ? really....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads