1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendors We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendors, Shibumi Firenze bringing us classic accessories and bespoke tailoring from Florence, and owned long time member "Braddock", and Jonathan Abel who bring us their Goodyear welted shoes made in Portugal.

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Out of interest how does cloth "crack"?

2. krakatoa

krakatoa Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but understand that it has to do with mohair's slightly stiff nature. But would be good to hear personal experiences of SF members.

3. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Seems very odd, its a common combination and that is certainly new to me, if correct.

4. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

A friend of mine experienced "broken" mohair blend fabric (mohair Fresco). It was cut/crucked where the pocket is at the fold. He hand washed the trouser and it happened. My understanding is that mohair thread is less flexible and especially weak when wet.

One of my tailor told me it can sometime crack when he made me Harrison superkid mohair suit.

I read special treatment by dry clearner to keep crease of the trousers should not be applied to mohair as it is prone to crack.

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

So what's the threshold proportion of mohair that makes it especially 'crackable' then?

6. kolecho

kolecho Distinguished Member

100% mohair crack gets you high high.

7. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

It has not happened to me yet, so difficult to guess.
    I believe it also depends on other factors. Harrisons have 100% mohair now so there must be a some improvement in production technique. When I have time I can experiment with remaining length of superkid mohair if I can "crack" it.

8. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

:stirpot:

9. PermanentDmg

PermanentDmg Member

So I'm currently in HK for a few months, looking to buy my first bespoke suit. Have read through about 50% of the pages of this thread and a bunch of other HK related threads and have narrowed my options down to Dream Bespoke, Baromon, Peter Lee, Grand Tailor, and Brown's Tailor. My budget is 7-10k HKD but that's flexible. Advice on any level on any aspect would be much appreciated. However, I'm posting this so anyone in a similar situation can learn from what I've done.

I understand that my lack of time restraint sets me aside from most of the people asking questions about HK tailors. But anyway, I've gone and visited about 20 different tailors, from the ones who hand you flyers on the street in TST, to tailors in Central who don't really advertise. What I've found, first and foremost, is that the tailors in TST are half decent salesmen. If I wasn't logistically limited from buying a suit on the spot, I would have plunged. In retrospect, I'm very happy I didn't. They seemed to know all the terms and what all to say. They all claimed to have in house tailors and non-outsourced work (they brought it up without me asking). But the guys outside handing out flyers had awful fits even to my untrained eye (lopsided sleeves, longer than full break trousers, etc.). So I guess what I'm trying to say is, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I won't be commissioning anything until middle of March, but I'll keep updating this thread if anyone is interested.

One last thing, it's been very tedious searching through this forum and particularly this thread for recommendations, so perhaps it would be good for some of you more experienced members to re-post your thoughts on the tailors. A lot of time was wasted filtering through meaningless comments like arguments and "search this thread". Just my 2 cents as a new guy

10. Eucris

Eucris Well-Known Member

Another confusing & meaningless post...

11. PermanentDmg

PermanentDmg Member

How to put this nicely…

If you have a problem with my post, that's fine. But, as my mother told me when I was little, "Think before you speak." I see your comment and I realize you don't like what I wrote. But I don't know what I wrote that offended you. I don't know what I should have written instead. I don't know what I should do next time. So… the post hasn't really accomplished anything. One might even say your post is confusing and meaningless.

12. Eucris

Eucris Well-Known Member

I'm in a charitable mood this morning. I find the above quote rather confusing...if you have read this thread very carefully, you will understand that the TST touts should be avoided at all costs.

One more thing these touts aren't good salesmen, their expertise is limited to identifying vulnerable tourists and flogging them bollocks.

13. PermanentDmg

PermanentDmg Member

Let's start over.
    PermanentDmg: "Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm in HK with 7-10k budget looking for a bespoke suit. Advice would be cool but I'm posting this for new guys who don't want to search through the thread. Be careful, TST tailor shops can be tricky."

Eucris: "Cool, welcome to the forum! Yes the tailors you listed are highly regarded in SF so you won't go far wrong. Since you have so much time, research the fabric that you want for your suit; it's arguably the most important decision you make. There's a thread in the Style Advice section where someone talks about the fabric they used for their first bespoke suit. Also, find pictures of suits that emulate the style you're looking for. Tailors will be better equipped to meet/exceed your expectations. Scan through this thread and you'll find pictures of suits that are fitted well, and suits that… aren't. Get an idea of what to expect and what to avoid. Good luck!"

PermanentDmg: "Thanks! That was super helpful!"

14. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

@PermanentDmg

I used 3 of the tailors you mentioned in the past. Dream Bespoke, Browns and Grand Tailor (Causeway Bay).
    I am currently with Browns among them. Grand Tailor offers more structured stuff than Browns and slightly more expensive IIRC.

Baramon is most expensive among them. I have not used them in the past. I might have read somewhere that the old cutter retired etc etc, but I am not certain. Peter Lee. I do not know much about it and status of current operation.

15. ray8

ray8 Active Member

I had the same issue when I was doing research on bespoke shirting, and this post reminded me to post my experience. Will get to that shortly...

More relevant to your question though, I used Grand Tailor (all their work sourced through Noble House) for one of my shirts and the result came out “ok”. Make sure you get measured properly (no idea how you’d guarantee this) otherwise you’ll waste a lot of time with extra fitting sessions. I can also confirm the tailor who worked on my shirt is local to HK.