1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

About the pulling, they should know how to fix it.

For the vest, if you change the design it is possible to fix that way indeed.
    I think you are going to do it remotely without actually seeing the fitter, if I were you I would get tailor's chalk and draw the line on the vest to see the best possible line and check in the mirror.

2. Roen

Roen Senior Member

If anyone remembers or cares about my saga with the three tailors, all three tailors were kind enough to stand by their work and provide refunds. I just had to ship the suit back to them, with the exception of Simpson Sin Tailor. That suit will be donated to the Salvation Army or another charity.

3. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Good advice!

4. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

That's good to know. Don't let this experience put you off HK tailors, you can certainly get suits which will last you for many years and which will always be a pleasure to wear.

5. Roen

Roen Senior Member

I believe that, I'll just need to be there in person for at least a couple of months.

6. Eucris

Eucris Well-Known Member

Roen, I'm pleased you got a favourable outcome.

Hopefully other newbies can learn from your experience. There are some that refuse to read this thread in its entirety and get rather surprised when their commission turns out to be a pile of junk.

7. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Concentrate on building a rapport with one decent tailor and you will readily get to the point where he can 'make to finish' with complete confidence.

8. plainweave

plainweave New Member

Hello, fellas! Has anyone recently used Andrew Ho of Kawa Tailors, which is currently run as a by appointment-only operations? I would greatly appreciate some feedback regarding his output as I am considering getting his services.

As per my research--and as confirmed by Andrew himself via our initial communication--this is the same Kawa Tailors that used to have a store in Prince's Building until the 2010s, when his father, the shop's founder, retired.

Further, I've read somewhere that his father used to work with AMHC until he broke away from them sometime in the 1970s. Is it reasonable to expect that their house style is similar to AMHC's--that is, more Shanghainese than Cantonese?(Stylistically, does this difference still exist in HK anyway?)

Also, on an additional note, does anyone know if Ying Tai is still open? Any feedback on their output, including their current house style?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

9. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Read the thread but you are readily making too many connections which are just not real. Simply because someone's father allegedly worked for AMHC nearly fifty years ago gives no clue whatever to a house style.

Use search and read this entire thread although I don't recall the names. Research is your friend - and you must do it or it is you who will get bitten. There is no shortcut as Eucris above recounts.

10. teoky

teoky Senior Member

Prologue HK (in particular Jerry) flew over to Malaysia for the Kuala Lumpur trunkshow, bringing all the fitting garments ordered back in October.

IMG-20180106-WA0002.jpg

Some of the pictures from the fitting sessions:

IMG-20180106-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180106-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180106-WA0028.jpg

25938448528_bc7a2ab5a0_o.jpg

With more challenging body shapes:

IMG-20180107-WA0010.jpg IMG-20180107-WA0013.jpg

The overall aesthetics (i.e. wide lapel, open quarter, natural shoulder line etc) are things that we are looking for exactly, given the rarity in Malaysia local tailoring scene. Prologue will be back in March to deliver the complete suits and take further orders.

I can't wait to receive the final products!! :) Will post more pictures on the details then.

11. plainweave

plainweave New Member

Hi GBR! Thank you for your response. I have--and as I have even mentioned in my previous post--researched about Kawa Tailors prior to posting here. Not only in SF but also in other fora (i.e., AAAC, etc.) and the larger world wide web.

I understand your concern for superfluous posting and the importance of using the search function but, unfortunately, the latter has yielded little relevant information for me. While there have been a few mentions of them over the years, these are mostly dated since these experiences mostly refered to output supervised / made by Kawa Tailors' founder, Mr Joseph Ho, who has since died. While his son--who has trained and worked with him--has taken over the concern, I'm sure you will agree this does not immediately ensure that the firm has kept up the quality of its output. It does not help also that pictorial evidence of their output from customers is terribly lacking at the moment.

For Ying Tai's current status, I'm afraid the internet has also come up short. And unfortunately, I have not received a reply from them directly.

Hence, I decided to post here in case anyone can provide relevant and useful information. I feel I should've provided you all the above information in my previous post but I felt these were quite irrelevant.

To your point, however, I agree that it does not necessarily follow that Kawa--though its founder trained with AMHC--will have a similar house style as the latter. However, I think, in my limited experience, more often than not, a firm's house style is greatly influenced by where its founder / head cutter came from--you can see it even in SR.

In any case, thank you again for your response; I greatly appreciate it.

12. Fishball

Fishball Distinguished Member

Yes, Kawa was broken up from AMHC, actually Kawa craftmanship was better than (IMHO) and more expensive than AMHC when they were still at Prince building. But it all gone.

FYI, AMHC style is more Cantonese than Shanghaiese.

13. Fishball

Fishball Distinguished Member

I think Ying Tai just closed their shop last month, and I heard that they sold all their stock to WWChan.

14. galileo

galileo Senior Member

Per TailorM it's closed.