• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AMOG

Reaction score
I feel for you bro, 3 commissions, good deal of money spent (by HK tailoring standards) and none of these rags are remotely wearable.

By all means, keep those shoes on whenever you may, it'd sure help draw attention away from those atrociously made garments.

Last edited:

MrBergschrund

Reaction score
I feel for you bro, 3 commissions, good deal of money spent (by HK tailoring standards) and none of these rags are remotely wearable.

By all means, keep those shoes on whenever you may, it'd sure help draw attention away from those atrociously made garments.

yes i totally agree with you. particularly, the TST tailor suits at 5k's are a black friday steal! without much of a waiting time and 1/3 of the price, they offer similar, if not the same, AC's result in the category of unwearable. and really good job to justin leading the company to a brave new world and undone what the brand is famous for.

oDot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a somewhat unique question I hope you can help me with. I travel around the world with one backaback, which means I carry few cloths that perform very well (dry fast, not smell even if not washed, pack light, etc). I'm traveling for a year now and after I got the usability part right for me, I want to get the looks part right.

Usually off-the-rack wouldn't be hard to find, but the thing is I want to be able to train in my day-to-day clothing, doing mainly Taiji (Tai Chi). Not many off-the-rack pants looks good and can accomodate the Taiji stances I need to be in. After some going about in Japan, I found a style I like -- the "wide-pants" style somewhat common in Japan, as can be seen in Vivienne Westwood's AW17 collection:

http://www.viviennewestwood-tokyo.com/f/dsg-26174
http://www.viviennewestwood-tokyo.com/f/dsg-26181
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wxrFWCiQIUnA-49oMQMw19xpu93X-C9N/view

Now since the pants cost $350-400 (and Yohji Yamomoto's $700-800), don't fit me very well and I'll be in Hong Kong, I thought it may better better to get pants costum made. That way I can also choose the fabric and make tweaks I need are required. Here comes my question to you:

Is there are tailor in Hong Kong that can make these kind of casual clothes (pants and matching shirt, vest), has a wide selection of fabrics (merino wool, stain-resistent polyaster a-la Bluffworks) and can be receptive to my unique requirements? There's nothing here to copy exactly, I need a professional that can help me design this from bits and pieces (both looks and function).

My hope is to spend no more than $1000 for two pants, a shirt and two vests, but I am willing to get less items for significant better quality, as I will be wearing these clothes daily, they should last.

I will be in Hong Kong around December for as little time as possible, and can come back a second time for fitting.

Thank you for your help!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"for as little time as possible":Then it seems hardly worth going.

You might try one or two tailors in TST, some will copy garments although I have never seen one who will do clown-like costumes. None whose names have been mentioned here have shown any evidence of this. Alternately the touts by Star Ferry Kowloonside may bite at this work; quality - not of the best.

As to price, you will need to take your chance.

oDot

Reaction score
"for as little time as possible":Then it seems hardly worth going.

You might try one or two tailors in TST, some will copy garments although I have never seen one who will do clown-like costumes. None whose names have been mentioned here have shown any evidence of this. Alternately the touts by Star Ferry Kowloonside may bite at this work; quality - not of the best.

As to price, you will need to take your chance.

Sorry I'll clarify myself -- the minimal time the tailor says needed for quality work. Hope that gives room for better options.

Thanks

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'll clarify myself -- the minimal time the tailor says needed for quality work. Hope that gives room for better options.

Thanks

Not really, your requirements remain 'unusual' shall I say. The touts at Star Ferry may be your best bet as they are always hungry for low end work and claim to be able to copy anything; true to a point. Normally I would suggest giving them a wide berth or even just push them into Victoria Harbour as they get in the way but a jobbing tailor is your best bet. I assume that you will be staying at the YMCA which is only a short walk from Star Ferry.

The high end tailors have no need of such work.

oDot

Reaction score
Not really, your requirements remain 'unusual' shall I say. The touts at Star Ferry may be your best bet as they are always hungry for low end work and claim to be able to copy anything; true to a point. Normally I would suggest giving them a wide berth or even just push them into Victoria Harbour as they get in the way but a jobbing tailor is your best bet. I assume that you will be staying at the YMCA which is only a short walk from Star Ferry.

The high end tailors have no need of such work.

OK, I will query around and hope for the best.

Thanks!

Jayess

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent cobbler here and if possible, know any place that can resole with Dainite soles? I've been to the cobblers on Pedder street in Central and they quoted around 400-500 HKD for a leather resole (this sound right?) but nothing in Dainite

I know this is an HK Tailor's thread but since I didn't find any other dedicated thread, figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks

Eucris

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent cobbler here and if possible, know any place that can resole with Dainite soles? I've been to the cobblers on Pedder street in Central and they quoted around 400-500 HKD for a leather resole (this sound right?) but nothing in Dainite

I know this is an HK Tailor's thread but since I didn't find any other dedicated thread, figured this would be the best place to ask. Thanks

So why don't you create a new thread for your question, rather than unnecessarily cluttering this thread?

bamboo

Reaction score

Placed called "Best Skill", I don't know if they have Dainite.
Room B, 1/F, 1-2 Canal Road East
堅拿道東1-2號1樓B室 Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island
3156 1483

Chowkin

Reaction score
Placed called "Best Skill", I don't know if they have Dainite.
Room B, 1/F, 1-2 Canal Road East
堅拿道東1-2號1樓B室 Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island
3156 1483

Yes they do

IMG_8334.PNG

jago2

Reaction score
Even though I live in HK and I have a full 3 and 1/2 months to get the suit made and tweaked after initial fitting...
after reading this thread I'm still leaning on going to Mode and renting for my wedding. They're $4000HKD/day but it seems I have to spend $6500 to have any confidence in the process.

Is this a fair assessment? If bespoke I'd want to be able to use that suit as much as possible. I don't like owning anything that is rarely used - that also seems a bit ambitious since wedding and frequent use seems like oil and water in the mix.

Roen

Reaction score
From my perspective, I was new, didn’t know exactly what I wanted and didn’t have enough time. Three and a half months seems like a long while though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads