Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

Please post some pics of the shop and your experience, i too ordered a suit from Jerry during the Malaysian trunk show.

2. AbsoluteStyle

AbsoluteStyle Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Do you know where their suits are made?

3. docc

docc New Member

Can anyone describe the general house style of Grand Tailor and Dream Bespoke? And would they usually be able to make a suit within 1 week? Interested in a more structured British type cut...not sure who else in HK would do this style other than perhaps AMHC? Thanks.

4. Styleternity

Styleternity Senior member

Some strange combination of HK & SZ. It's my understanding that the initial cutting was done in HK, then with most of the finishing across the border.

@Easily Amused, in the interest of full disclosure: I had my initial fitting in March and didn't pick up until early August. That delay was entirely self-inflicted. Under normal circumstances, turnaround is 4-6 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

5. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

They usually don't finish in 1 week as far as I know. So better check with them directly if they can accommodate such a request. Both GT and DB are more on structured side. As you mention AMHC, I think Gordon Yao and Baromon can do the style you wish.

6. Styleternity

Styleternity Senior member

Just on the subject of Dream Bespoke, I'm doing my initial consultation with Ricky tomorrow. I've been variously told that he is flexible enough to do the southern Italian style but I'm looking forward to something with strong shoulders, nipped waist and a lengthy skirt.

Will report back more later.

7. discerningneedle

discerningneedle New Member

Hi everyone, long-time lurker on this thread.

Magnus & Novus has been getting a lot of press attention but not so much on this forum so I was wondering if anyone here has ever commissioned a suit with them? There are few photos of their suits so its difficult to gauge what their house cut looks like. I have just recently ordered some Harrisons flannel and am looking to have a double breasted suit made up. They quoted me $8500HKD for CMT.

8. discerningneedle

Having had 2 suits and an odd jacket made by Dream Bespoke, they are on the structured side with slight drape and slightly extended shoulders.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 3:17 AM

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

Will you post a full set of images please? It would be interesting to see it current quality; front/back/profiles with and with coat and the inside of the coat to review quality - some tailors fall down on this detail.

10. discerningneedle

Will post when I visit Hong Kong in the Christmas. I only had a basted fitting during my short stay so there are a few things I want to ask Ricky to correct. I think its only fair to the tailor that I post the final product.

11. Roen

Roen Member

I just got back from HK, went to Empire and Simpson Sin for a quick 4 day suit and Ascot for a longer duration constructed suit.

I'm a larger gentleman, 6'1", 235 lbs.

Empire's suit is more fitted, and feels like a British Cut.
    Simpson Sin is looser, and as such, seems like a hybrid between British and American Cuts, favoring the British.

As I prefer a more fitted suit, and that I like Empire's fabric more than Simpson Sin, and that Empire was cheaper, Empire would get my return business.

12. MrBergschrund

MrBergschrund Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to make a new jacket. I was wondering if you could share some pictures and results of the Empire suit you've made.

13. Roen

Roen Member

Let me take some pictures and get back to you. I would also like some feedback from the community here.

They had a very nice sport coat in their fitting room, I am thinking about having that done for myself as well.

14. Roen

Roen Member

Does Ascot Chang use an in-house tailor for their walk-in customers?

15. Roen

Roen Member

How does one clear our their suits? Dispose? Donate? Alter?