1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. vinveritas

vinveritas Senior member

During the first fittings, usually present are two tailors - one for the jacket and another for the pants, aside from Gordon.

2. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

Is it? When I went there, just one tailor and Gordon did the job. The guy was in his mid 50's I guess.

3. vinveritas

vinveritas Senior member

In my experience, at the basted stage, GY gives directions to one tailor for the jacket, and another for the trousers. Both tailors appear to me in their 60's. At the subsequent fittings, only one tailor is present to receive GY's instructions. One thing I like about GY is that the service is personalized, and you don't feel being rushed.

4. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

That could be the case for me. I may have a very poor memory......

5. journal

journal Member

Heading to Shanghai, Beijing, HK then KL (in that order)

I'm out to bring total cost down, source the cloth from the mainland and take it to a HK tailor. Medium budget, roughly 500 per suit

Names and approximate locations would be very helpful. I can Google the gaps. The amount of fabric needed is also something I'd appreciate some advice on. I'm a 38/48 typically and roughly 6ft 1'

Before you think I'm lazy and just want someone to hold my hand, I've read through the thread and can see the majority of posts are about touring, high end tailors, with limited details on cloth sourcing

So I'm after the consult of members with recent experiences with HK tailors and anyone with superior cloth knowledge *just cloth knowledge and/or where to source it in those cities.

Thanks
    xiexie
    gracias
    grazie

Journal

1 person likes this.
  6. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Some people purchase their cloth here on B&S or go over to the London Lounge. I have sourced fabric from a local H Lesser wholesaler. Not sure if people do buy bolts in China, so I'm interested to hear about this as well. Otherwise, I would question the authenticity of well-known names at cheap prices. Sometimes, it better to source your fabric from someone you trust...

7. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

You won't find good deals on British or Italian cloth in China, there's a very high import tariff on them. Just buy from mills themselves or jobbers such as Royal Textiles on eBay.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I have been saying this for a while now. When I was living in HK I befriended some fabric dealers and tailors.... it is a pretty well known "dirty little secret" among many in this area that much of the fabric in HK is in fact counterfeit. I always requested samples, did fiber and burn tests, etc. Ultimately I played it safe and got my wool directly from England. caveat emptor indeed.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

It is indeed quite hard to trust fabric suppliers from HK. Which brands appear to be counterfeited most, in your experience? Is it just the high-end like Scabal or is there fake VBC, Harrison's etc.?

10. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

In my experience, be wary of super fabrics with high thread counts, in any famous brands. Those are they dangerous one.
    However, buying quality fabrics in Hong Kong does not cost significant more than in the UK.

11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Well, you need to know where to get them (which I don't). The only place selling fabrics I've been to in HK is Western Market, and they charge about what Harrison or Minnis would charge for some of the lower super bunches.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

So very true, Gordon is a gentleman and takes the utmost care in his work.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

There are varies traders in Hong Kong who takes proxy mail orders. Price are often reasonable, good discounts if you can get a group-buy. However, I don't use their service that much, I prefer buying heavier fabrics directly from websites.

TBH, after Ethan brought out the majority of tweeds in there, I have no motivation to go there.

14. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Sorry, previously misunderstood you comment. Now I understand - you don't travel to Western Market because the Armoury have bought out most tweed bolts. I would have thought that tropicals and open weave would be more suited to HK weather. They are certainly preferred here is Aus. How much wear can you get out of tweed in HK winter?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I meant I don't go to western market nowadays, because most of their good stuff e.g. tweed are purchased by Ethan.

It will help if you understand that the Armory and the Western Market are two different place.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  16. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Yup, got that.

17. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

So Ethan buys the Fabrics to sell @ the Amoury or for his personal use? I thought the Armoury didn't have house fabrics?

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I couldn't say for sure but certainly Scabal, Dormeuil, Zegna ... anything worth money is counterfeited in China. It can be very difficult to tell. I'm sure they would fake H&S, John Foster anything really if there were profit to be made. It's not that everything is counterfeited but when it creeps into the supply and many tailors only will sell you what the have in inventory you have fewer choices and are stuck with whatever markup they feel like charging. I would disagree that the prices are the same in HK versus UK.... if ordered most of my fabric from UK at significantly cheaper price points.

Western Market is just so-so. I used to live right down the block in Sheung Wan and went there often... the bakery downstairs is more worthwhile! :nodding:

Last point is definitely a consideration for those wanting a suit for a different climate... there is not nearly the selection of heavier and cold weather fabrics for obvious reasons. If you want something thick and comfy for northern climes your best off finding it yourself and getting someone to work with it.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  19. ykim917

ykim917 Well-Known Member

Just returned from a trip to HK and thought I would share my experience.

WW Chan seems to be really popular around here, and I cant tell you what it's like from personal experience. However, everyone I talked to (friends, concierge at several hotels) seemed to steer me clear of them. I guess they've been capitalizing on their reputation by charging rates way above cost. There's nothing inherently wrong about that of course, but it doesn't seem to be the best value for your money.

Instead I'd recommend two tailors who offer top-notch service, great quality, and a good value for your dollar:

First, Linda Chow at 69 Peking Road. Based on all the pictures on her wall, she seems to cater to the military/diplomat crowd, but made an excellent, trim-fitting blazer for my friend. She's quite the character, but is incredibly hospitable and friendly. Prices for suits range from $500 USD for a suit made with basic fabrics to upwards $4000+ for Zegna quality materials.

The second is Charms Tailor on Mody Road near the Hyatt. His office sits on top a highrise and is definitely classy if that matters to you. He definitely knows what he's doing, though he seemed a bit more standoffish than Linda. But I got an excellent fully-canvassed two-piece suit made with John Cooper fabric for $800 USD.

We also went to Baron Kay, but I was a bit turned off when he tried to convince me that fused suits were just as good as canvassed suits because of new developments in fusing technology - even if it's true. He did seem to have a good collection of shoes though.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  20. Nathan5653

Nathan5653 Active Member

Mind posting pictures of your Charms Tailor suit? I'm going to Hong Kong soon and I'm considering visiting some of the tailors there. Can't afford anything by GY or WWChan but am probably going to pay a visit to Lee Baron, though I've heard their prices have been going up (correct me if I'm wrong).