The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

Haha. It is not from a Baotou. It is from a tailor shop which has a proper shopfront and already mentioned in this thread in the past. I do not have a in depth intelligence about the tailor so I do not know so called "hidden gems". Having said that I agree that people these days tend to think that information is free and just exploit it to his own benefit. For example I am inclined not to reply to one sentence question from the poster "I visit Hong Kong for xxx days. Tell me the best value tailor."

2. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

I did not mention tailor name because often tailor names lead to prejudgment of the garment itself.
    For example, "Tailor X is a spin off from Tailor A, they use the same workshop, their cost of rent is such and such. Theirs are Canton work not Shanghai etc etc." I admit sometimes it is interesting to talk about that not always.

3. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Thank you.

4. MrBergschrund

MrBergschrund Active Member

i am guessing kid mohair is from younger goat and they are usually finer and more expensive than mohair? is there any other differences? and is there any brand really famous for mohair?

5. MrBergschrund

MrBergschrund Active Member

actually, there are two things that he has accomplished.
    1. the younger or inexperienced people who wanted to make a bespoke suit and they all ended up looking like an unmade bed.
    2. a lot of young and fancy tailor shops opened these couple years while harming the industry. competition goes up technically should create more value for customers but the newly opened ones don't exactly know what they are doing in term of bespoke - most of them are only good at marketing.

6. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

Single most famous weaver of mohair cloth is William Halstead. It is likely many mearchants actually commission weaving to this mill. There are sellers on ebay which sells Halstead mohair fabric.

VBC makes nice mohair blend fabric too. I am making trousers out of it and it is not so shiny at 30% mohair mix.

7. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

No matter how young, they are adult, they have the right to select a bespoke suit, it is themselves to care about the products they receive. We do not need to consider for what they get.

Young and fancy tailor shops opened lately can continue or not are their own business . If you think they don't know bespoke , mother of nature will take care.

I really hope this thread is talking about style and craftsmanship.

8. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

What is the advantage/ disadvantage of mohair for trouser compare to high twist wool ?

9. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

First of all, is this a genuine question? You raise a question without any background color, so I sometime feel like 1) you already have an answer and try to let the same answer be out of someone else's mouth or 2) you are testing my general knowledge just as an end of term oral exam at uni.:bounce2:

I just liked the particular fabric. I did not make serious analysis of pros and cons. I tend to like something without much theory. Text book answer is that for the same weight high mohair content fabric should drape more straight and keep crease than pure wool. It stick less to the body because of its bouncy character. Again depending on the mohair content, mohair blend fabric should be more fragile especially when wet.

10. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

I tend to agree with you. I am curious what happened to your 2 year old ill fitting suit by DB. Did you bring it back to DB for complete remake as DB offered to you?

11. hippotamus

hippotamus Senior member

He is like the active (never say they are good) students in class, always asking question and warming the classroom up.

12. hippotamus

hippotamus Senior member

Yes, I also like to know.

I doubt Dreams Bespoke would ever have a no fitting garment ....so it is better for @Hifilover to clear that out

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

We all would; long on questions, short on answers.

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

wow, which is a quite long discussion last week when I was out of town:bounce2:

I am going to try out the Prologue soon:cool2:

15. hentaisan

hentaisan Well-Known Member

Question about shirting.

Been looking at graly shirtmakers. Do they do fittings or completely MTM?

Also, has anyone gotten a replica of their best fitting shirt done? How good is it, how long does it take and do you have any recommendations?