1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

seriously? $6K +?? My gosh his prices have certainly gone up. I had the same made just a little over a year and half ago perhaps and paid only slightly more than half that!

2. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

Exactly my thoughts. This is my first time making a suit with them and I had no knowledge of previous prices, and even then I had a sense that it shouldn't be this pricey. I gave them a shot this time (I practically gave them my Ring Jacket MTM suit to copy), hopfully they won't cock it up.

In related news gordon yao quote me $1410USD for CMT 3 piece.

3. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I think of all the price rises in HK tailoring, Lee's is still ok. I used him first at the end of 2010, and IIRC, a jacket was 3700 HKD, a vest about 900 and trousers about 1100 - for full canvas. That's not too far away from the 6000 quoted earlier.

4. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

CMT
    Suit is now....4900
    Vest..............1350

They showed me the price list so its "official" I suppose. I know for a fact that that area of shop's rent hasn't gone up much at all these few years (unlike the main parts of TST) so to me it's still quite a jump .....oh well, time to hunt for these so called mystery non english speaking tailors...

5. Dib

Dib Senior member

I'm not sure how you reach the conclusion that it "shouldn't be this pricey". A tailor (or any other business) is going to charge whatever the market is willing to pay for the product and service they provide. Your subsequent post indicates Lee charges 4,900 for a CMT suit. Trust me, you will struggle to find anyone in HK who will make a suit for much less than that if you want it to be of an acceptable quality.

In any case, I hope your suit turns out well, please do post pics once it is complete.

6. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

4800 for a two piece suit is 100 more than I paid two and a half years ago. In the light of other tailors' increases, I think that is very reasonable. Otherwise, be my guest in looking for the Wizard of Oz MBT, but between billable hours spent searching and money spent on attempting different tailors, let me know how much that costs.

7. Dark K

Dark K New Member

Would not recommend Dragoon Francais tailor at all. Poor service and questionable fabric. Suit does not have canvas and is fused with glue. No fitting. Made a suit there and it was oversized with no option to make alterations as the entire suit was complete already. Long delivery times as well. Avoid at all costs!!

Just had such a bad experience with them and the service was so terrible that I had to warn and inform everyone.

8. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

RogerC did you do CMT there?

9. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

10. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

You know what. For those like Lee Baron, you may also try the Sin's tailor in the next building.

11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Is that Simpson Sin? I've heard some good things about him. Anyone on the forum any experience?

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have heard he does similar job and work as Lee Baron. But price wise is a bit lower.

Obviously if you are a local, there are more choices if you are patient.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have heard he does similar job and work as Lee Baron. But price wise is a bit lower.

Obviously if you are a local, there are more choices if you are patient.

14. gegarrenton

gegarrenton Senior member

Yes, if you read upthread I gave a bit of experience.

15. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

Multi post on Fitting thread.

Il Sarto. Kerry Knoll Summon cotton 2 pc. Half lining. I appreciate any comment.

Did I trim too much on the back?

Their starting price for 2pc is HKD 5200. Full canvas +600. Mine is total HKD 7100 due to fabric.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Back balance can be a little bit better. The collar can bite into the shirt more. Everything else looks alright.

17. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

This is cotton fabric. Part of the charm are the creases. Doesn't have to be super clean like wool. My take is that robot poses don't show how well a jacket wears because it's a totally artificial setup. I think the jacket looks good and I would wear that like a muthaf'er. Well done, bamboo. Good choice.

18. vinveritas

vinveritas Senior member

Are the sleeves a tad long to give allowance for when they crease? The pants look longish though.

19. redrock14

redrock14 Member

I just dropped in to W.W. Chan & Sons (26 April 13). First, it took someone about five minutes to notice me (I felt like a green bug wandering around). When I did get someone's attention I was surprised to find my 2 piece suit from Zenga material was quoted at $2.2k USD. In asking about an overcoat, I was given a range of $2k to 8k USD. Their shirts start at $168 USD. They did say they were very busy and that might be why prices are up. Perhaps it was becuase I arrived without an appointment but I wasn't overwhelmed with great customer service.

I've been able to get some really nice Brioni/Armani suits at myhabit.com for about ~$500-700 (I then take them into my tailor for slight adjustments). These price escalations are really putting a cramp on my Hong Kong shopping expectations :(

I think I'll try Gordon Yao and then on the mid-range, Lee Baron. Hopefully I'll find one that will work.

20. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Prices are up because raw materials and wages have gone up as well. GY is priced similar to Chan. I'd give Simpson Sin a shot if you're looking in Baron Lee.

Odd that they would ignore you for 5 minutes. Was it busy?