1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

In order to start , baotou
    Ng supply to David Shirt , British House,Michael

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Gentlemen, can I suggest that we simply ignore PekingRoadHK and his mindless posts in the hope that he takes the hint and get's lost on Nathan Road.

He is one of those people that can start an argument when he is the only person in the room.

3. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

PekingRoadHK write several blogs to describe how much a tailor shop can make down to the cost of each button. I am pretty sure he knows (or he can find out) the cost of shenzhen coat/trouser makers whom baotou assigned . Disclose the cost of baotou and how much baotou can make will further help consumers.

4. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

As PekingRoadHK said he is a consumer without any benefit . He spent so much energy to help gentlemen to get cheaper in suits . Gentlemen can afford a good suit are not in hunger or homeless . Is it more meaningful to help those in hunger , ill and homeless ?

5. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

That is for a normal person BUT he is ......

6. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

What is the psycology term for this type of people ?

7. galileo

galileo Senior member

Was in tailor shop to make shirt for my then-bestman who's gonna married. We talked about Mirador Mansion as I was there last week for... coffee.

We all know there is in-house tailor for cutting and some other thing inc. final touch, and the "workshop" actually one of the "BaoTao" there. What I found is, even I'm quite familar with Chungking Mansions, it's still quite a not-for-experienced-locals place to find out who's "BaoTao" is who. It's rather easier to find a hostel there (their business are falling now), or quarrel with "Jenny's Bakery" for they known of won't sell darn cookies to locals.

So my journey to seek for cheaper deal ends here. Forgive me of rather chat with the tailor and discuss on how the piece was made, but not giving plain instructions to "BaoTao".

Oh yes, the shirt is in Alumo oxford 100s and pricing is great.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 3:18 AM
  8. GBR

GBR Senior member

I have no idea what that would be but I'll simply settle for a pain the neck.

9. PekingRoadHK

PekingRoadHK Senior member

Everyone has different requirements and standards, therefore, there is no single tailor/BaoTou for everyone.
    BaoTou can be found in Mirador Mansion, TST.
    This one tells how to search for BaoTou : 170#
    Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong
    http://www.styleforum.net/threads/best-value-tailor-in-hong-kong.68785/page-9

Your friend said good result can be found from Mirador BaoTou without tailor shops/middle men. 4374#:
    4. I only know one that found Ng Sifu and the suit turns out to be good is a friend who gets Ng sifu to come his office for measurement and fitting.

#4411 tells
    The topic of this thread is : The Hong Kong Tailors Thread".
    BaoTou are the tailors behind tailor shops who make suits.
    We talk about tailors in this thread.
    There are about 100 BaoTou in Mirador, good and bad. You talked about bad BaoTou only. Everyone has different requirements and standards, therefore, there is no single tailor shop/BaoTou for everyone.

This is an example of a long term customer of a HK bespoke tailors shop who shifted his orders to the ex tailor of the same bespoke tailor shop in Mirador Mansion TST. That's a good describing what good BaoTou is about : 4241#
    http://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-hong-kong-tailors-thread.33568/page-213

I make a correction to this review, Ng sifu workshop is located in Mirador Mansion TST, not Sham Shui Po. He can be reached directly in Mirador. He works for a few tailor shops/middle men in Central, TST, and Sham Shui Po at the same time:
    3191# From Fabric to Suit -- a review of Ng Sifu’s CMT. (This post is too big to quote).
    http://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-hong-kong-tailors-thread.33568/page-160

You like Alumo, heard it's better than Cistes! 400 represents 400/2=HK$200/yard. We might get 20% off, ie. HK$160/yard. I need 1.8yard for my shirt, ie. HK$288 for shirt fabri cost. How much is Alumo?
    [​IMG]
    You guys didn't read, and raise the same issue again and again, therefore, I answer the same things again and again. You raise the same issue next time, I will still give you the same answer next time.

This is 2 different markets for the same product:
    1) BaoTou is for local consumers who have time to shop for their fabric somewhere else, and don't need the service from tailor shop.
    2) Tailor shop is for consumers who don't have time to shop for fabric somewhere else, and require the service from tailor shop. Tailor shops are one stop places.

If you are traveling to HK, you want to spend your time efficiently. Mirador Mansion is not a place for you. You go to a bespoke tailor shop (they usually markup over 100%), you spend more to save your time and effort. Bespoke tailor shops do have wide selection of fabrics for your choice, and they have sales people to serve you. BaoTou don't carry any fabric collection, and you have to spend time to shop for your fabric somewhere else. As a foreigner, you will be confused in this situation.

If tailor shops don't have confidence on their added value, or don't provide value to consumers, they are worrying if they can survive in the market, and complain on my BaoTou issue in this thread. If tailor shops have good confidence on their added value, they have no worry about BaoTou issue, therefore, they will never complain on my BaoTou issue in this thread. This is a reflection of how tailor shops look at themself. We see the background of those who attack on my BaoTou issue, that proved they have no confidence on their own position.

I don't see value from tailor shops, therefore, I will never go tailor shops again. The more attacks on my BaoTou issue, the more that proved those tailor shops don't have confidence on their value. Therefore, attacking my BaoTou issue will only show how foolish those tailor shops are.

I taped this 2 videos, and witnessed how BaoTou works out. This is HK$2.xk Shanghai workmanship for a suit:
    Shenzhen made Milanese buttonhole
    compare for yourself:
    Milanese buttonhole / Boutonnière Milanaise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OhQ3Yo2pYY
    Hand Made Milanese by Cifonelli

How much Cifonelli charges for a tailor made suit with Milanese buttonhole?
    No, you are wrong. Which BaoTou works for which tailor shops? This is BaoTou personal privacy. For the cost of tailor shops and their operation, it's like when we read financial reports of various industries and companies, financial reports tell everything except personal privacy.

I am not a sales, therefore, I don't suggest a BaoTou. I quote reviews from you guys to prove good BaoTou can be found in Mirador. Everyone have different requirements, therefore, there is no single tailor shop/BaoTou for everyone.
    Why limit consumers to go tailor shops only? Do we, consumers have a choice? BaoTou consumers like BaoTou issue. Tailor shop consumers don't go BaoTou, they ignore BaoTou issue. In the opposite direction, BaoTou consumers ignore the mindless posts from tailor shop sales people and their associates.

You forgot to say going to your preferred tailor shops is for world peace, and going to their competitors (tailor shops) and BaoTou is actually financing Kim Jong-un or ISIS. I think we, consumers do have a choice, we know where to go and what to buy. We have no responsibility to protect the interest of tailor shops. This is consumer right, we don't want to be fooled by sales people.

You guys know very well, you can't argue with me from the beginning. Personal attack won't work. You want raise the same issues to cover up old posts again and again, I will answer the same things to correct them again and again. Consumers know that well.

We, consumers share info for consumers. Sharing info does not require your approval or meet the stardard of tailor shop associates. BaoTou is just an alternative, BaoTou is not a must for all consumers. We, consumers have the rights to know tailor shop is not a must. It's that simple.

Over 200 pages of promotion of selected tailor shops, what are these people?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 4:26 AM
  10. galileo

galileo Senior member

Guess I better write in plain English -

I went to Mirador Mansion, for a cup of coffee after movie, and I walked up to find the mysterious "BaoTau", and all I found is list of hostels and Jenny's Bakery.

It's meaningless even for locals of sharing something on BaoTau with adress & tel. only.

I've met a "BaoTau" on his list in a tailor shop, and the outcome is not quite satisfactory after few fittings - aiming for savings mostly end up with issues. And even with a middleperson, without proper communications & knowledge it will still fails. The only thing I'm sure is that "BaoTau" could talk in Shanghainese.

The "promotion" on "BaoTau" aimed on *savings* doesn't quite justified for their craftsmenship, and quite misleading to those seeking for advise, like myself months ago.