• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hifilover

Reaction score

I wouldn't say that but they do know what they are doing. They are one of the better HK tailors out there.

Best way is to find several reputable tailors . Try them if they give you confidence. Select the best to meet your needs . Stick with him until...

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree , the service and product from the other shops are really in a different league with AC. 

We cannot only look at the face value, especially in bespoke when turnaround time, services and quality of the product itself should be highly consider. 

As a twenty years customer of AC, I am very sad to said that I have to give it up. The quality of their shirt is still unquestionable. However, I can't afford their price any more.
It is very sad, since I can afford their shirt when I was a high school student, but not now :brick:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a twenty years customer of AC, I am very sad to said that I have to give it up. The quality of their shirt is still unquestionable. However, I can't afford their price any more.
It is very sad, since I can afford their shirt when I was a high school student, but not now :brick:

They should give long term customers a deal.

hippotamus

Reaction score
It is very sad, since I can afford their shirt when I was a high school student, but not now
baldy[1].gif

This goes to lots of business in HK from my observation. The Chinese rich market is making shop front lazy with money floating in. With a basic supply and demand relationship price shoots up eventually.

Not only tailor shop but I heard fabric shop are benefiting from this situation. And I agree, this is sad.

But it is free market and I am sure other shops will focus their target to the locals, I am sure the locals has found their gems. However, for foreigner / tourist like us, the choice is limited.

By giving up, I hope you find your gem and dump AC but not give up bespoking......
censored.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to judge the prices of tailors like AC and WW Chan at face value. The costs have also risen, both in labor, and in real estate at a very fast rate. My understanding is that overall, business is the same or down from before while costs continue to rise.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it's fair to judge the prices of tailors like AC and WW Chan at face value. The costs have also risen, both in labor, and in real estate at a very fast rate. My understanding is that overall, business is the same or down from before while costs continue to rise.

I didn't judge them. It is free market.
I can understand their thinking, but not that I will agree with them.

Other shops in Hong Kong also facing the same labor and real estate cost, but their price don't rise up as much as AC or Chan.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This goes to lots of business in HK from my observation. The Chinese rich market is making shop front lazy with money floating in. With a basic supply and demand relationship price shoots up eventually. 

Not only tailor shop but I heard fabric shop are benefiting from this situation. And I agree, this is sad. 

But it is free market and I am sure other shops will focus their target to the locals, I am sure the locals has found their gems. However, for foreigner / tourist like us, the choice is limited. 

By giving up, I hope you find your gem and dump AC but not give up bespoking......:censored:

Yes, I do find a sub for my shirtmaking, but it has it shortcoming. The major one is time, now it take one to two months to get my shirt made, compare to AC it just take a week, or even three days.
But the good thing is, it is more than 50% less compare to ordered the same shirting at AC. For the high end shirting like Alumo it is just about 1/3 price.
Quality and craftmanship? I would said about 95% of AC. The only thing I miss of AC is the hand monogram.

hippotamus

Reaction score
Yes, I do find a sub for my shirtmaking, but it has it shortcoming. The major one is time, now it take one to two months to get my shirt made, compare to AC it just take a week, or even three days.
But the good thing is, it is more than 50% less compare to ordered the same shirting at AC. For the high end shirting like Alumo it is just about 1/3 price.
Quality and craftmanship? I would said about 95% of AC. The only thing I miss of AC is the hand monogram.

Totally agree, for short time stay or tourist, AC can crank out a few shirts in 2 or 3 days, I personally feel it is super important as I want to make sure they fit happily before I take them away.

Very jealous of the locals, what can I say, ENJOY !
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally agree, for short time stay or tourist, AC can crank out a few shirts in 2 or 3 days, I personally feel it is super important as I want to make sure they fit happily before I take them away. 

Very jealous of the locals, what can I say, ENJOY ! 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What it AC's CMT price now? Last I checked, you could save a lot by sending them Bonfantitessuti or LL fabric to make up. Their own prices for top stuff put them in the London/Paris class.

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What it AC's CMT price now? Last I checked, you could save a lot by sending them Bonfantitessuti or LL fabric to make up. Their own prices for top stuff put them in the London/Paris class.

I don't know how much they charge CMT now, some pals told me it was 1.1k Hong Kong dollars.
My Shirtmaker charge me HKD 300

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads