• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xizenta

Reaction score

If you insist on not using interlining you should have let them know.

Those are common for difficult lightweight fabrics... I just think fresco it is not strictly necessary.

However, if the tailor will attach a canvass as well, then the interlining will give an extra stiffness to the shape.

It seems that your tailor had stitched the interlining, this is strange and probably that will be the "floating canvass", good luck.

I wanted a full canvas construction. I think the tailor is using this black wool product as a canvas. I am not understanding your interpretation.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions...

Good value RTW suits in Hong Kong? Was thinking The Armoury, but I am sure there are other places.

EDIT - nvm didn't realize The Armoury had prices in US dollars...

Are places like WW Chan more catered towards Western people? It has an exclusively Chinese site. Where do local Hong Kong people go for suits? I imagine they don't go to Indian tailors, and probably have their own circle of local Chinese tailors that people don't read about on Styleforum.

Last edited:

bamboo

Reaction score
Quote:
It looks that black thing is fusible canvass. Some people fuse it to the cloth to make the cloth easier to handle. Floating canvass is attached to that. IMHO, it is justifiable if you need certain effect especially with thin and soft cloth, but it is quite often defaulted to do so in many Hong Kong tailors whatever the cloth is for productivity purpose.

I have some fresco garments but did not care much about see through effect. You cannot tell the color and patter of my underwear.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could not agree more. i'll rather spend a good amount on a good suit that last. However there are online tailors now that are bringing the cost down for very high quality suits. For more expensive one and classy www.sterlingsuits.com they seem to offer extensive bespoke options and high grade fabrics also www.oliverwicks.com tell to offer a more good "bargin" lower Super S. But as you said i would go for a better more expensive and made suit. 

Can people stop making short-cuts in posting advertisement? Just get the SF's vendor's subscription.

waterampage

Reaction score
I posted this in the cloth thread too, but will duplicate here so anyone with knowledge can chime in:

What kind of interlining have you guys used on commissioned fresco/crispaire jackets?

I ordered a full canvas jacket from a new operation a few months ago and just went to the first fitting. I noticed the interlining they were using was black, which is not something I am used to. When I asked about it, they said it was a 100% wool canvas made in Italy and used by Brioni and Zegna (sounds like marketing bs). They said that they couldn't use the typical natural colored canvas because it would show through the fresco weave.

I'm not sure I'm OK without using a canvas with any horsehair content. Also, ironically, they were still using horsehair canvas for the collar. I would be really uncomfortable asking them to redo the canvassing at this point (even though it appears that they have done it the lazy way, by machine).

But I'm curious whether anyone here has experience with this type of interfacing.

There are multiple types of body canvas used in coat fronts. These include those made with horsehair, to others made with wool or even cotton. Increasingly canvas is constructed using a mixture of these materials. One of the reasons is that the weight of the canvas has to match the weight of the fabric you have chosen. As Fresco and Crispaire, and indeed most Italian fabrics used by the likes of Brioni and Zegna, fall in the light-weight category, it is unsurprising that the body canvas may not be made of horsehair which is stiffer and much heavier. There is little point choosing a summer-weight fabric but having it made up into a suit of armour!

Also, canvas can be dyed. For darker fabrics, the canvas may come dyed black to prevent the so-called "see through" effect for porous fabrics. But as bamboo has mentioned the "see through" effect is minimal. Of course since most fusible interfacing comes in black, it is easy to confuse canvas with fusible. I am assuming that given the handwork that has gone into the alleged canvas, it should hopefully be canvas (there is not much point padding fusible at all in any case), though not of horsehair as you would originally have liked.

y10k

Reaction score
I'm getting married next year and want to get a suit for my dad. He hasn't worn a suit in the last 15 years, and likely won't wear it again except in my wedding, so we want to control the budget a bit ($500 - $750 USD range). Which ones would you recommend in Hong Kong?

I did some search and found a few candidates:

http://www.leebaron.ca/

Jantzen

Sam's

Any comments on other tailors and how they compare?

PS: He lives in Shenzhen and can visit Hong Kong quite often.

bamboo

Reaction score
I'm getting married next year and want to get a suit for my dad. He hasn't worn a suit in the last 15 years, and likely won't wear it again except in my wedding, so we want to control the budget a bit ($500 - $750 USD range). Which ones would you recommend in Hong Kong?

I did some search and found a few candidates:

http://www.leebaron.ca/

Jantzen

Sam's

Any comments on other tailors and how they compare?

PS: He lives in Shenzhen and can visit Hong Kong quite often.
Among those three, Lee Baron is the best. If he wears just once, you should consider rental. Considering the budget, tailor in Shanzen may be better. Even if he comes to Hong Kong, it is likely that his suits be produced in Shanzen.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone got recommendations about someone near the Central area who can alter a shirt (take in the body and sleeves) at a reasonable price? Otherwise I'll go to my usual tailor (just looking for someone closer to my work). Thanks!

bamboo

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone got recommendations about someone near the Central area who can alter a shirt (take in the body and sleeves) at a reasonable price? Otherwise I'll go to my usual tailor (just looking for someone closer to my work). Thanks!

地址:中環皇后大道中35號商業大廈7樓706室
TEL:25211180 96832077(DOROTHY小高)
ROOM706,7/F,COMMERCIAL HOUSE 35 QUEEN‘S RD,CENTRAL,HONG KONG

BTW. I am assuming you are not talking about all hand sewn shirts from Italy or France.

ebayhtl

Reaction score

地址:中環皇后大道中35號商業大廈7樓706室

TEL:25211180 96832077(DOROTHY小高)

ROOM706,7/F,COMMERCIAL HOUSE 35 QUEEN‘S RD,CENTRAL,HONG KONG

BTW. I am assuming you are not talking about all hand sewn shirts from Italy or France.

Thanks, I will try. Nope, it's a very cheap shirt - just a one-off for a Xmas party!

InHouse

Reaction score
Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any tailors in Hong Kong who are able to create a custom or at least made to measure trench coat. I'd love to get something in the style of a Burberry trench but I've never been able to successfully find one that fits me right. My body proportions are unfortunately just odd (exceptionally long arms for my height) and for the price of a Burberry coat, I don't feel comfortable trying to tailor it and then having it come out wrong or ruined.

If possible I'd prefer the staff to have at least some proficiency in English as I cannot speak Cantonese or Mandarin and I'd like to be able to properly convey the specifications/expectations I have.

Also, ideally it would be great if the shop accepted credit card as, in addition to the points I'd earn, I save significantly on the conversion rate thanks to my card. However, I understand this request might be a bit unrealistic so really if anyone has any leads regardless, please let me know.

Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any tailors in Hong Kong who are able to create a custom or at least made to measure trench coat. I'd love to get something in the style of a Burberry trench but I've never been able to successfully find one that fits me right. My body proportions are unfortunately just odd (exceptionally long arms for my height) and for the price of a Burberry coat, I don't feel comfortable trying to tailor it and then having it come out wrong or ruined.

If possible I'd prefer the staff to have at least some proficiency in English as I cannot speak Cantonese or Mandarin and I'd like to be able to properly convey the specifications/expectations I have.

Also, ideally it would be great if the shop accepted credit card as, in addition to the points I'd earn, I save significantly on the conversion rate thanks to my card. However, I understand this request might be a bit unrealistic so really if anyone has any leads regardless, please let me know.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Moved your post over here so you can get the help you need. Cheers.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is about tailors but does anybody know a reputable alterations shop in Hong Kong? I picked up a couple of Ring Jackets from Japan and need some work done around the collar.

bamboo

Reaction score
I know this thread is about tailors but does anybody know a reputable alterations shop in Hong Kong? I picked up a couple of Ring Jackets from Japan and need some work done around the collar.

The place I mentioned 2 or 3 posts above can do sleeve, shoulders, length, etc. Job around the collar sounds more complicated though.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey All,

Thanks!

I suggest Luxire instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads