1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Haroldwong

Haroldwong Active Member

[​IMG]

Pics from third trial. Overall pretty good (in my opinion), just had some last minute alterations
    the tailors explained. Let me know what you guys think so far, I will take more pictures during my next visit.

Front view: Pretty satisfied with the final lapel width, its widened by 1/4" based on recommendations here.
    Don't think I am used to the wider ones. The rounded shoulders with minimum padding requested (similar to suitsupply style) worked well for me.
    I also purposely requested angled pockets and higher lapel split ( I feel makes me look taller).

Alteration: Jacket had to be let out a little in the upper back and mid-section, felt just a little snug when I moved my arms forward.

note* once again this is not a custom made shirt

[​IMG]

Back of Jacket needed to be cleaned up just a bit, there was a small gathering of fabric
    underneath the collar tailor pinned it up.

[​IMG]
    Shoulder Side View - pretty happy with the shoulders and sleeve pitch (you can see the small bump in the back which will be cleaned up)

[​IMG]

Too much break on the trousers, subtracting some fabric.

Any recommendations on further adjustments and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks people

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

Not bad really.

2 people like this.
  3. bamboo

bamboo Well-Known Member

I think it is good. Nobody in your office would complain. [​IMG]
    May be due to your posture, is there a collar gap between shirts and jacket? Do you have a pic of trouser back?

4. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

Sleeves can be clean up a bit in the front, the right upper sleeve back needs clean up as well .

5. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

You and your cutter have done a fine job! The length of the coat is spot on and the slant pockets certainly lend height. Combine that with the lapels and it works well for you. You've picked up the most important change needed, the trouser length/break which is excellent. That is a bit noticeable. The right sleeve head would be the only other point I would note, certainly for the future. That is a bit noticeable in this type of critique but, frankly, 99% of the people you may know or meet won't even know that was even notable. Your cutter should have picked that up, maybe did and hoping you wouldn't! I am not of the view that the front of sleeves is necessarily something upon which to even comment on, yes as a purist the observation could be made but frankly next time you bespeak a suit, wear this one and point it out as something which could be improved but that is as far as it should go. Do you use your inside breast pockets for, say, your wallet or even a cell phone? If so, I would suggest that a tad more room in the coat across the chest would help to avoid an unsightly bulge or even two bulges. Those do get a bit obvious even to the untrained eye. Good looking suit. It would be good to see some photographs when not wearing the coat, to see how they fit, profiles/front/rear views and the inside of the coat to see how neat the pockets and lining are. You have a fine suit which will look good in many environments and my thoughts are as much for future pointers rather than critical in any way. Enjoy!

6. geeboo

geeboo Member

a new comer. here my latest odd jacket funded from a piece of vintage Dormeuil Sportex fabric[[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. chobochobo

Nice. Interesting way of lining it. That was an old scarf or something?

8. geeboo

geeboo Member

Yes, silk scarf fabric
    what is your name in discusshk? [​IMG]

9. chobochobo

I haven't been on discusshk for years.

10. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Thought that is dead by now.

11. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

@Haroldwong looks good, with your dimensions (from photo) OTR suits would look just as good on you right?

12. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

If he is happy with OTR , he does not need to go for bespoke ??

13. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Why on earth would RTW reach this standard and why do you even commend this to him? He has done entirely the right thing in establishing a relationship with a tailor and this suit is the first handsome product of that.

The purchase of RTW garments is entirely random, the cut varies on each and every occasion and there is no such thing which will fit anyone every time.

I don't believe that I have ever read such an unhelpful statement in many years. Strive for the best you are able should be the mantra here and @HW is following entirely the correct course on this.

More power to his elbow.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    2 people like this.
  14. ebayhtl

Wow. OTT much? Relax - it was a question, not a recommendation (I stated his suit looks good).

15. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

That is not what is reads like; There are all too many pointless posts in this thread presently and to suggest that RTW is a substitute for decent bespoke or should even be considered thus is beyond words.

@HW is pursuing a sensible course and doing extremely well at it.

16. ebayhtl

@GBR This is a discussion forum, not a contractual negotiation - people frequently comment on the fly (as I was), discuss and move on.

I know good RTW with appropriate tailoring can make a good suit, but that wasn't my point. The point was (potentially) having a chat with the OP about his experiences. Take it easy.

17. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Contractual?

That's some imagination.

18. Haroldwong

Haroldwong Active Member

No, I always have trouble with the shoulders and the back with OTR. One part fits the rest mostly doesn't, and the alterations end up making a mess. I wouldnt do Bespoke if OTR was fine

19. Haroldwong

Haroldwong Active Member

Appreciated

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  20. Haroldwong

Haroldwong Active Member

Is that what you call Milanese button hole?