1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

I know the place that I go to, TCNY (which I'm a big fan of), their MTM suits start at about HKD5,000 (to about HKD12000), and other decent places have quoted similar.

So you probably have to up your budget, but not necessarily by heaps - if you can spare USD700 (which is about HKD5500 at the moment) you could definitely get something decent, esp. if you are going to wear it regularly.

If you're really stuck for cash, go to Playlord (a chain store here) - obviously a number of steps down in terms of construction/material, but I find their cut to be decent (got me through first couple of years of working at a law firm) and I think it's still sale season there right now, so you can get a suit there for about USD225.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. Diego Cuenca

Diego Cuenca New Member

has anyone tried bonham strand? any opinion on these tailors? looks like a social venture with all items made in HK

http://bonhamstrand.hk/

They just opened in april. looks like its for a good cause and the prices are right...but looking for anyone that has seen their work.

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

4. hxh_killua

hxh_killua Senior member

Thanks for the insight.

Would it actually better to get a suit off the rack then?

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Unless you can afford at least HKD 6000, go SuitSupply and have it tailored.

6. ABC1604

ABC1604 Member

I made a thread about getting some tailored shirts and was directed to this thread.

Anyways I will be in Hong Kong in about a weeks time and I want to get some shirts made up since I struggle to find shirts off the rack which fit me nicely.

I am willing to spend ~HK$1000 per a shirt, which i assume will last and be good quality.

Since I am new to this I guess I am looking for advice to go about this since it is something I've never done before and recommendations of places which are good.

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

For $1000 HKD you should go with Ascot Chang. You won't be able to choose Alumo or the like but you'll be able to choose some good basic fabrics

8. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

What city do you live in now?

9. ABC1604

ABC1604 Member

I currently live in Sydney, Australia.

Thanks for the recommendation for Ascot Chang, will research them more.

10. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

I don't think Ascot Chang's shirts go as low as $1000 HKD. I believe their TM Silver line shirts start in the $1600+ HKD range. They may have some cheaper fabrics, but probably few under $1500 HKD.

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I've seen their fabrics for under $100USD. Lets just say the clothes on some clowns look better.

12. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

For shirts, Hemrajani should be an option.

13. Wongtouski

Wongtouski Senior member

Not anymore, I got the cheapest fabric one for $790 (or $890?) last year....this year it's 1190.....

14. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

Ascot Chang obviously has a great reputation, but for a more economical choice I recommend Mytailor (hemranjani brothers). Good quality that won't cause an arm or a leg.

15. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

There is a place called David's Shirts in the 2nd floor of the lobby of the Mandarin Orient. I've had oxford cloth shirts made there for about HK1000 which I liked. Its easy to find and convenient if you are in central. May take at least a week.

16. ABC1604

ABC1604 Member

Thanks for the recommendations, any others people can recommend?. Just a final question is 6 days enough to make a few shirts?

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

Recommend you to do a test shirt first, get the fit right (that should take 1-2 days) then if that's ok you can order away 4-5 shirts won't matter it can all be done in another 1-2 days.

That's what I did with the guys at Mytailor.

18. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

I recommended TCNY earlier (still have to do a proper review of it some time).

Re: time, it really depends on which places you go. Some of the places mentioned above (like Mytailor and Jantzen) take only a couple of days to make, others (like TCNY) will take at least 7-10 days. I must say that 1-2 days sound ridiculously fast, but hey, good for Mytailor if that's what they do!

19. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

6 days is enough for shirts. Usually 5 days is good enough.

20. AbeFroman01

AbeFroman01 New Member

I just got back from HK; I was there for a little over a week as part of a post-bar exam trip before I start work. My goals were to get two moderately nice suits for about or under $500 apiece. I figured if they're awful, then ok I know in the future (when I actually have more money), going to a more famous/expensive tailor would be the way to go. I did a bunch of research online and on my first day there checked out 5 tailors (Empire International, Sam's, WW Chan, Ascot Chang, Maxwell's). WW Chan and Ascot Chang were out of my current price range, although they looked like they would do an awesome job at an OK price relative to the US. Sam's was super sketchy and I felt like they weren't upfront with any of the costs or the process. They kept pushing me to go get measured, and they'd "have something for me in a few days and you can make adjustments." When I said, "but then aren't I committing to buy your suit?" the guy just kind of stood silent and looked around for 10 seconds before saying pretty much the same thing to me again. Weird-ass vibe, I don't care how many pics they have with Prince Charles in that place. Plus a lot of other reviews I came across said the suits were crappy quality. Maxwell's was nice, but just a bit out of my price range for what looked quality and they kind of had a vibe like they would not give me any kind of personal attention, like they were just cranking suits out and weren't all that interested in my specific requests. But maybe I just had one guy who didn't seem too enthused; the place seemed pretty high end though. I settled on Empire Tailors; I had read some good reviews online that said they were solid suits, maybe not the finest suits in the world, but totally passable and at a reasonable price.

So my experience with Empire was pretty good. They have a few package deals, depending on the quality of the fabrics you choose. I don't really know much about fabrics, but you could kind of tell they did get nicer as the prices went up. Basically these weren't just arbitrary distinctions. I went with the option that gets you 2 suits, 6 shirts, and 6 (completely bogus and not worth anything) ties for $890. I feel like you could haggle with them on the price, but it seemed reasonable enough to me, and it was hot that day. Anyway, they did three fittings altogether over the course of 6 days. I brought pictures with me of some Burberry slim suits that were along the lines of what I wanted and the tailor checked them out each time. Here's the thing that I think is important to know. I had to be really really specific about what I wanted, since they didn't volunteer too many questions about how I wanted the suit. I think they asked about the vents and whether I wanted flat-fronts or pleats. The rest was all me telling them about lapel width, the type of lapel (I think they assume notch but they definitely didn't ask me until I said something), functional buttons on the cuffs, the break (seriously I think they would have just done a medium break if I hadn't specified repeatedly no break), jacket length, etc. etc. Also I had to go out of my way to ask about choosing the lining myself. On the third fitting all I really had to do was adjust the pants a little (I must have said "slim" about 50 times that week), but the jackets were definitely on point.

So now I'm back and I have my suits and shirts, with nice little patches stitched inside that says they were made specifically for me (I just noticed that on the second wear). I am really really happy with these suits; they do fit great and they are exactly what I was looking to get out of the experience. So I would recommend Empire highly, but only if you have the time to do 3 fittings and have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for and the ability to express that to them. The tailor was cool/didn't take offense to my repeated requests for slimming the whole situation down a bit on each fitting. The staff is also genuinely nice. Zero pressure, which was a welcome relief, and totally accommodating. So that's the trade-off. Maybe a higher end tailor would be able to do a better job intuiting what you want, but as long as you put in a little extra time, Empire seems to me to be worth the trade-off. Of course these are the only suits I've ever gotten in HK so I maybe I got snowed. But as far as I can tell, I got 2 nice, modern-looking suits and 6 very well-fitting shirts. The ties were garbage, and they kind of admit it. Also they come to New York throughout the year, so that's a plus if you live here and like what they do. Also it made me feel like they were a pretty legit outfit. Anyway, like I said, maybe a bit of extra work on your part to make Empire worth it, but I think my experience was definitely worth it.