• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
I had jacket made from the same book.
I believe that's for jacket only not for suit.

Nope. One is J, designated for Jacket.

I'm not from overseas so never ask them about turn around time. Best way is to email or (call) if you intend to work around your travel schedule:

Here is the card:

Stiva

Reaction score

How much does a Lee Baron suit go for these days and what's their turnaround time? Thanks.

He turned around two for me in seven days. Measure, one fitting and final. I wouldn't go any tighter than that.

MercyPlease

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forums. Recent grad in BKK for 8 days and HK for 7 days interested in purchasing a tailored suit and possibly some shirts. My budget is around 350. I am not looking for fully canvassed, just something that looks good and that I can wear to a few work meetings.

With this price range, would it be better to just get off the rack from JCrew and the like? (Off the rack fits me decently given my body). Any advice about where to go, fabric recommendations etc. appreciated (very new to this stuff unfortunately). Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

New to the forums. Recent grad in BKK for 8 days and HK for 7 days interested in purchasing a tailored suit and possibly some shirts. My budget is around 350. I am not looking for fully canvassed, just something that looks good and that I can wear to a few work meetings.

$350 USD? You can certainly get some shirts, but you're not getting a suit (or even a sport coat) at that price worth wearing.

(well mayyyybe a SC)

Last edited:

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If OTR fits you OK, you may as well just get a J Crew suit on sale. It's not a bad suit at all for that price.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Mercyplease - IMO in that price range you're better off going for a OTR and then getting a tailor to fix it up. Have had good experiences with both Massimo Dutti and JCrew in that price range (when on sale). They will both be good enough for you for the first few years given you're a grad. Doubt you willfind any reasonable tailor at that price point.

Last edited:

perfectstitch

Reaction score
Have lurked for a while (read a ton about briefcases a few years back before settling on the classic Filson) and was hoping to tap into the community for some advice on suits and shirts. I've gone through a fair bit of this thread but not all 167 pages.

First, the short version: I'm headed to Southeast Asia (Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam) for about a month or so and was hoping to get a tuxedo and a few suits (lighter blue, charcoal, grey) as well as some shirts. I'm looking for any advice people might have, general and specific. Looking to spend $300 - $1000 per suit. I'll be travelling with my girlfriend who speaks fluent Mandarin and is American Born Chinese, and compared to SF I feel like a major suit novice. I don't want to full in an upward spiral of suit quality (which is happening as I peruse SF) and just want something that fits me well.

Longer Version: I've asked friends and also reviewed old posts I was able to find (unfortunately they all seemed to be from around 2009 - 2012) and seem to have the following takeaways:

- Jantzen is the most popular for shirts but Peter Lee of Lee Baron seems to be better. I've also through this thread stumbled upon Graly which appears to be a hidden-ish gem. Where would folks suggest getting shirts?

- For suits, I'm still not entirely sure where to go. I don't have to wear a suit for work, so I'm tempted to get one really nice suit, at least by my standards, for like $1,200+ from WW Chan (that is the only one I saw on the forum but those posts were old so I'm very open to other suggestions). However, upon more recent review it appears WW Chan's prices have sky rocketed since the 2010 posts I was initially reading. If I were to get one really nice suit for ~$1,200 and then a few less nice suits for $150 - $600 what should my strategy be? Nice suit in Hong Kong and other suits in Hoi An?

- Have had some friends recommend Hoi An and be extremely happy with what they got and the prices seemed great ($160 per suit from Bambou Silk near St. Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi (realize this isn't Hoi An). A few others also recommended Thailand Any thoughts?

- Any suggestions on where to get only trousers?

I also feel like I'm left with more questions than answers after having read the forums. I was lost in a see of terms I didn't understand, like fusing, canvasing, etc. Is there a primer I could read up on to get up to speed suits / shirts to understand what all this means. I did find this: http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kind-of-suit-should-i-buy

Other questions:
- How does getting a suit in Asia compare to something like ProperSuit or one of these American firms?

If it matters, I am caucasian, 5'11", about 170, and have struggled to find off the rack stuff that fits me well (I think I might have a long torso and broader shoulder to waist ratio?). My job doesn't require a suit every day, but does require slacks and a button down.

Thanks so much for any help you might have!

Last edited:

baromatic

Reaction score
What time of year are you visiting HK?

I'n what order are the cities you mentioned listed on your travel itinerary?

Four or five shirts of upmost quality will trump a few lousy suits. Now for the one high quality suit and tuxedo, that's where I would focus on first.

Say you buy Ascot Chang, instead of three lousy suits, I would deem that a much better satorial adventure. Also depending where you are AC has shops in NYC so if after purchase alterations are needed then they could be executed there.

Do your research about what canvas and half canvas means. Also understand fused technology and why it makes the cost less. The online shops that are MTO will sell either fused or half canvassed.

Have lurked for a while (read a ton about briefcases a few years back before settling on the classic Filson) and was hoping to tap into the community for some advice on suits and shirts. I've gone through a fair bit of this thread but not all 167 pages. 

First, the short version: I'm headed to Southeast Asia (Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam) for about a month or so and was hoping to get a tuxedo and a few suits (lighter blue, charcoal, grey) as well as some shirts. I'm looking for any advice people might have, general and specific. Looking to spend $300 - $1000 per suit. I'll be travelling with my girlfriend who speaks fluent Mandarin and is American Born Chinese, and compared to SF I feel like a major suit novice. I don't want to full in an upward spiral of suit quality (which is happening as I peruse SF) and just want something that fits me well. 

Longer Version: I've asked friends and also reviewed old posts I was able to find (unfortunately they all seemed to be from around 2009 - 2012) and seem to have the following takeaways:

- Jantzen is the most popular for shirts but Peter Lee of Lee Baron seems to be better. I've also through this thread stumbled upon Graly which appears to be a hidden-ish gem. Where would folks suggest getting shirts? 

- For suits, I'm still not entirely sure where to go. I don't have to wear a suit for work, so I'm tempted to get one really nice suit, at least by my standards, for like $1,200+ from WW Chan (that is the only one I saw on the forum but those posts were old so I'm very open to other suggestions). However, upon more recent review it appears WW Chan's prices have sky rocketed since the 2010 posts I was initially reading. If I were to get one really nice suit for ~$1,200 and then a few less nice suits for $150 - $600 what should my strategy be?  Nice suit in Hong Kong and other suits in Hoi An?

- Have had some friends recommend Hoi An and be extremely happy with what they got and the prices seemed great ($160 per suit from [COLOR=141823]Bambou Silk near St. Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi (realize this isn't Hoi An)[/COLOR]. A few others also recommended Thailand Any thoughts? 

I also feel like I'm left with more questions than answers after having read the forums. I was lost in a see of terms I didn't understand, like fusing, canvasing, etc. Is there a primer I could read up on to get up to speed suits / shirts to understand what all this means. I did find this: http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kind-of-suit-should-i-buy

Other questions:
- How does getting a suit in Asia compare to something like ProperSuit or one of these American firms? 

If it matters, I am caucasian, 5'11", about 170, and have struggled to find off the rack stuff that fits me well (I think I might have a long torso and broader shoulder to waist ratio?). My job doesn't require a suit every day, but does require slacks and a button down. 

perfectstitch

Reaction score

First, the short version: I'm headed to Southeast Asia (Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam) for about a month or so and was hoping to get a tuxedo and a few suits (lighter blue, charcoal, grey) as well as some shirts. I'm looking for any advice people might have, general and specific. Looking to spend $300 - $1000 per suit. I'll be travelling with my girlfriend who speaks fluent Mandarin and is American Born Chinese, and compared to SF I feel like a major suit novice. I don't want to full in an upward spiral of suit quality (which is happening as I peruse SF) and just want something that fits me well.

Longer Version: I've asked friends and also reviewed old posts I was able to find (unfortunately they all seemed to be from around 2009 - 2012) and seem to have the following takeaways:

- For suits, I'm still not entirely sure where to go. I don't have to wear a suit for work, so I'm tempted to get one really nice suit, at least by my standards, for like $1,200+ from WW Chan (that is the only one I saw on the forum but those posts were old so I'm very open to other suggestions). However, upon more recent review it appears WW Chan's prices have sky rocketed since the 2010 posts I was initially reading. If I were to get one really nice suit for ~$1,200 and then a few less nice suits for $150 - $600 what should my strategy be? Nice suit in Hong Kong and other suits in Hoi An?

- Have had some friends recommend Hoi An and be extremely happy with what they got and the prices seemed great ($160 per suit from Bambou Silk near St. Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi (realize this isn't Hoi An). A few others also recommended Thailand Any thoughts?

I also feel like I'm left with more questions than answers after having read the forums. I was lost in a see of terms I didn't understand, like fusing, canvasing, etc. Is there a primer I could read up on to get up to speed suits / shirts to understand what all this means. I did find this: http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kind-of-suit-should-i-buy

Other questions:

So my approximate dates are as follows (flexible still):
Hong Kong: June 18 - June 21st (could stay longer)
India: June 21st - July 11th
Thailand: July 12th - July 18th
Cambodia: July 19th - July 20th
Vietnam: July 21st - July 30th
Hong Kong: July 31st (if necessary)

I'm probably looking to get at least 1 full canvas, nice suit. The rest I'd be ok with either full canvas MTM or half canvas even.

Ideally, would be great to get some specific advice on which tailor in Hong Kong to get the shirts and which to get the suits, and secondly to get peoples' thoughts on Thailand and Vietnam.

Penfold

Reaction score
War seems to have broken out under the escalator on Wellington St. The Central branch of Lapel shut up shop and moved three doors up. The old premises have reopened as 'La Farfalla' and look precisely as they used to, right down to the Zegna logo plastered over the door. Meanwhile there's a human signpost right outside..

baromatic

Reaction score
Well I heard it's consequently due to the limited line of the Penfold All-Suede Derby being release to Hong Kong sartorialist :)

Last edited:

BigbigJohnny

Reaction score
I have no idea why Lapel always full of people.
Couple of my friends tried their work and I think they are not in standard. Do they sell really cheap?

War seems to have broken out under the escalator on Wellington St. The Central branch of Lapel shut up shop and moved three doors up. The old premises have reopened as 'La Farfalla' and look precisely as they used to, right down to the Zegna logo plastered over the door. Meanwhile there's a human signpost right outside..

baromatic

Reaction score
Not cheap. I was quoted Zegna Cool Effects two piece 17k. They probably feel comfortable setting price as "market" based on the amount of ex-pats with less than a knowledgable idea on product prices and location as the reason why they are chock full of patrons.

I have no idea why Lapel always full of people.
Couple of my friends tried their work and I think they are not in standard. Do they sell really cheap?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads