1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. OJonesHK

OJonesHK Member

Peter Lee at Lee Barron also does women's shirts

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ascot Chang might, but I know WW Chan does have a fairly active ladies' business.

No idea which is better for shirts, or which would be more convenient.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

AC and WW Chan does make shirts for women. I know that Gordon Yao did make suits for women as my gf got one years ago.

4. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

This is my first post on this very interesting thread.

As many, I have been repetedly disappointed by the outcome of the "custom suit" experience in HK (I would not try to call it Bespoke).

I have a normal/slim built, therefore medium range OTR jackets often "look better" than what I got from somehow expensive tailors (I got one Gieves & Hawkes OTR summer blazer and one Corneliani OTR Winter sport coat that beat my 2 Ascot Chang suit coats anytime in term of style and fit).

My challenge today is to find a place in HK that would be able to build a very nice roped shoulder, if possible with a medium/strong slope and/or a concave effect. It has already been difficult to get a simple "clean shoulder", so I am wondering if I will be able to get what I am looking for.

So far, my most satisfactory experience has been with Il Sarto in Central (I am actually surprised that nobody is talking about them here). They have been quite accomodating and tried hard to do what I was asking. The rope is not bad, but the shoulder is still not perfectly clean, and the slope not strong enough in my taste. Pricing wise it is still reasonnable - in my view - for the quality: 9,000 HKD for Super 110 VBC/Reda with full canvas.

What it looks like (sorry the picture is too dark)

[​IMG]

What I am looking for (for the shoulder):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-> This one is a Tom Ford suit, so I forgot to mention that I am looking for something in the 8k-12k range (fully canvassed), not 60k!

I would be glad to hear about some (good) experiences with Roped Shoulders with Tailors in HK.

Best.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Your price range is going to limit you on who you can use. WW Chan is pretty good for a roped shoulder and probably best at what you are looking for.

1 person likes this.
  6. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

Thanks. Any other ideas if I was willing to go to a higher price tag?

Also, I saw several pictures I liked (on this thread) of the work done by Lai Sifu. I tried to find his contact on Internet, but I have not succeeded so far. I would be great if someone could help.

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I believe that tailor, Lai Sifu, moved to China.

Do you live in HK? If you do, visit as many tailors as you can and see what they can do.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  8. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

Yes I do live in HK.

In my experience, there is a huge difference between what the Tailors tell you "they can do" and what they actually deliver.

Too expensive for me to "try" many and spend X * 9 or 10k for something that I will not wear even once if I dont like the result.

9. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Yes I do live in HK.

In my experience, there is a huge difference between what the Tailors tell you "they can do" and what they actually deliver.

Too expensive for me to "try" many and spend X  * 9 or 10k for something that I will not wear even once if I dont like the resul

If you have time, check out Grand Tailor in Causeway Bay.

10. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Grand Tailor

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

What I meant was, bring a picture or a suit jacket and show them what you like and ask to see some samples.

1 person likes this.
  12. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

Indeed I saw a couple of pictures of a suit made by Grand Tailor with very nice pagoda shoulder. Based on what I read on SF, it seems that Gordon Yao can do it as well.

For those who have tried both, which one is more likely to build a modern slim waist jacket?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  13. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Gordon Yao price maybe out of your budget. Highly than Grand Tailor 。

14. cchen

cchen Senior member

@NicoHK can you show us example pics of the bespoke that you got from AC and others vs the RTW from GH and corneliani?

15. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

Ascot Chang Suit with VBC Super 110 was 13k HKD 2 years ago, so I would have assumed Gordon Yao to not be over that price tag.

@cchen, I will try to take few pictures shortly.

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

My experience with WW Chan is on the contrary, I also tried to make a "standard strong shoulder" suit to no avail. At the end, the suit gets little to no use.

As far as the quote above, I am pretty sure Gordan Yao will charges pretty much the same as Ascot Chan Bespoke.

Have a look in the shops as mentioned by members here will be useful.

17. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

Thanks add911_11.

I read a lot of your posts on this thread, all very useful.

Did you have personal experience with Gordon Yao? I would like to be sure they have been successful in executing that style of shoulder (before I spend that kind of money).

18. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

@cchen,

Here are few pictures.

Il Sarto dark navy suit - cloth by Reda, almost what I was looking for but slightly too much tight on the waist, and the shoulders are not clean enough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Gieves & Hawkes OTR Summer Jaket - Fabric is Summer Linen Tweed by Loro Piana.
    No Alterations, and probably the jacket I have that fits the best:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. NicoHK

NicoHK Member

Corneliani OTR Winter Sport Coat with attached inner clothe. less fitted, but on purpose to leave more space to wear pullover underneath, if needed.
    Shoulders are clean as well:

[​IMG]

Ascot Chang disaster - Summer fabric by VBC
    I dont like the shoulders, I dont like the line/waist. Something is off, I was just not able to explain them what was wrong at the time.
    I have learned since I ordered, and probably did not ask properly what I was looking for. But I won't go anymore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

From the back, the il Sarto sleevehead/ shoulders look terrible.