• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penfold

Reaction score
Although I didn't commission anything from Gordon this few years, I do believe he is much better than Y William Yu in both cut and craftmanship.

Picked up my finished Yao suit yesterday. The basis for comparison isn't totally straightforward, because the Y William Yu suit in the photos was my second suit from them and because it's a much heavier, more workable fabric.
YWY suit below is a two button SB in 13 oz Holland & Sherry worsted, Book HS1165 Cloth 651718. It is fully canvassed and was $9000 HKD.
The suit from Gordon Yao is a 3r2 SB in Minnis Fresco I 0500 and is only 7-8 oz and is my first suit from GY. It is also fully canvassed and was $14430 HKD. In both cases the tailors were given plenty of time and I had three fittings, though on both occasions I walked out of the last fitting wearing the finished suit.

The major problem with the YWY is the puckering of material in the upper chest. But for that I think YWY would win by virtue of price.

YWY on the left, GY on the right in all the photos.

Tie - Sam Hober
Shirt - Graly
PS - Drakes for The Armoury
Shoes - Trickers full brogue - my only smart shoes here in HK.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's up with the chest on the darker suit?

Penfold

Reaction score
It doesn't cope very well with the contours of my prominent ribcage, colossal pecs and unfortunate manboobs.

Either I take the suit back or I have gynaecomastia surgery. It's a close call.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, the wrinkling.

If you want your boobs doing you can call me :)

Penfold

Reaction score
In fact I posted about this in the Tailors Feedback thread. YWY had a small go-over on my first suit from them (blue), and I tried very hard to catch the problem during fittings for the second, but it seems to have recurred.

I guess there are corners cut during construction to produce a 9k suit rather than a 14k suit. I examined the chest canvas of the Yao suit at the first fitting closely and it didn't seem to be differently made. So perhaps it's in the shape.

As no less a light than Despos himself put it, you do get what you pay for.

Penfold

Reaction score
Are you a cosmetic surgeon, or just an enthusiastic amateur with a spare afternoon who fancies going to Wing On for a new vacuum cleaner and a sharp knife?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chobochobo and Penfold, i think we should get together to have a drink some time.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting Penfold - very interesting. The chest on the YWY does look indeed a bit odd; not sure if there's much that can be done, but you may want to go back and show him at least and see what he says. That suit looks nice, but seems a bit tight in the lower back and also appears to have divots on both shoulders.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Yao suit shows its innate quality so well whereas the YWY just looks completely inferior especially as it is a second attempt.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear all,
I am enjoying this thread a lot, and would like those familiar with Hong Kong tailors to advise me on my choice of tailors for one with my body type.  I'm approaching middle age, mixed Asian/Caucasian somewhat short at 5'6" but relatively fit, i.e., my shoulders are broader than my waist.  Unfortunately, the only time I can come to Hong Kong is near the Chinese New Year for 12 days, but I'd like to get a bespoke suit, canvassed, my first.  I'm willing to spend up to 20,000HKD if needed for a suit, but of course would prefer not to.  I live in a temperate climate in the USA where we get snow in winter, and the summers are moderately warm, with humidity. I'd like a suit I can wear nearly daily, or a sport coat with nice slacks.  My work environment is business casual to more formal.  I rarely come to Hong Kong.

So far W. W. Chan indicated that would charge 19,600HKD for a bespoke suit and prepare it for me with only one fitting given the time constraint.  I told them I would not be willing to have them make a suit for me for 19,600HKD with only one fitting.  Did I decide correctly?

The following were willing to provide 2 fittings, but would mail the suit to me, I think -perhaps one of them will deliver to my hotel in HK.  Please let me know whether this is advisable:

Y. William Yu
Gordan Yao
Baromon Limited
Simpson Sin Tailor
Sam's Tailor (which I'm thinking I should cancel based on the number of dissatisfied reviews I've read).

Any other advice would be appreciated.  As an Asian American, I wondered how I would entertain negotiating on price?  I'm not a great bargainer.  Also, which of the above would be advised for making a shirt, sport coat, and possibly an overcoat?

My apologies for possibly repeating what has been covered.  I just joined.

Cheers, Bloomsbury

Gordon Yao without any doubt whatever.

Penfold

Reaction score
What Despos said. Free advice from a very well respected tailor is worth 1000x anything I could add.

Is there a chance you're exaggerating the robo-pose for the photographs? Did Gordon have you stand in a more relaxed and natural pose for measuring and fitting?

Front looks good and if you're in HK then GY will address your concerns. Personally I'm increasingly aware of some powerful black magic whereby suits look perfect in the tailor's shop but reveal lots of nits when you get them home and start photographing yourself.

nioh

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can pick up proper wooden suit hangers?
Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads