1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I can tell easily that the aforesaid is not gathered from the deponent himself.

2. billybats

billybats Member

New member here, had been lurking for a while.. I moved to Hong Kong in 2004 and has gotten over 8 suits, 4 blazers 3 coats and over 30 shirts made in TST, Admiralty, Wanchai, Lowu and hopefully lend a helping hands to anyone here seeking for information based on my HK/ tailoring experience. I still have a lot yet to learn about styles!

Here are some notes based on experience:

- some indian tailors with touts on Nathan road are not all that bad, the first tailoring shop i went to back in 04' was from a tout who dragged me in. After all these years, i am still getting my shirts made there. Suits are generally ok too
    - do a lot of research, tailors in HK will go with the minimum, and will not offer suggestions in details
    - Always have to be crystal clear with these TST indian tailors. It always seems like they never even bother to look at the diagram you send them.. Now i put everything in writing and have them sign it to acknowledge
    - It seems like tailors in HK like to go with house style (ie skinny suits which is not my cup of tea)
    - dont be afraid of hole in the wall tailors, just had a full canvass suit made (copying a ring jacket style) and it was copied to the T! It was my first expereince with this tailor, and i have to say i was doubtful at first. He is 65 and place is really no frills! But the final product turned out to be much better then i expected. Infact, i went back today to make 2 more suits. Again, you have to be very clear on what you want, but he was even able to make the folded neopolitan sholders which i was quite impressed. I will upload some photos of my suits soon.
    - never get anythning done in Lowu, ever. No sense of customer service
    - dont have expereince with the likes of WW Chan, Ascot Chan etc, cant afford them
    - I can never go back to OTR shirts or suits no more, i have to say I am spoiled by living in HK!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This sounds like a gem; keen to see those pics! :nodding:

4. hippotamus

hippotamus Senior member

Agree, it does sound awkward

5. billybats

billybats Member

Here is a pic of the suit iImade from the old sifu, full canvassed, Copying a ring jacket iIsaw in the armoury

HKD$800 extra for full canvassed, honestly, i was doubtful that it was only 800 more as I know there are tons of work involved with making it full canvassed and 800 seems very little for all the work involved. But i bit the bullet and gave it a try with a low cost fabric to see his workmanship.

I am still an amatuer in terms of suits (just recently found out such thing as full canvassed!) but final product seems legit and drapes very weell., way better then the suits i made for twice as much. There does seem to be an "floating" canvass in the middle, so i guess it really is full canvassed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. billybats

billybats Member

7. abrenner210

abrenner210 New Member

Hi all. New user, and studying abroad in HK. Admittedly, I know very little about tailoring, but I am doing my best to learn as much as possible and SF has been tremendously helpful in doing so. On a friend's recommendation, I visited Om's Tailor, and got a dark brown suit, with a soft blue stripe. Seems to fit well, and I was pleased with the customer service, but I am curious to get some comments/suggestions for the next time.

Appreciate the feedback in advance.

Cheers.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Trouser looks a bit tight .

9. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

How many suits do you have? It's a bit unusual to start with a brown one (with blue stripes)

10. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I agree that the pants look tight. The first pic, you should button the coat to give a better assessment

11. abrenner210

abrenner210 New Member

Thank you for all the feedback. This will be my 4th suit (two blue, one dark grey and all three solids). Point taken with the pants, as I asked the tailor to take them in slightly from the original fitting, but I will be more conservative next time. Below is another picture with the button done.

Thank you again, and excuse my ignorance/inexperience.

[​IMG]

12. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

I prefer the jacket to be a bit longer.

13. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

These photo's aren't very useful. Jacket isn't buttoned, so difficult to assess button stance and balance. Arms are crossed, so difficult to evaluate sleeve placement and pitch. Back needs to be cleaned up and trousers should hang a lot straighter.

14. abrenner210

abrenner210 New Member

Understood, does the picture that I posted above clarify? Also when you say that the trousers should hang straighter...in order to get them to do so, can the trousers be simply tailored, or does it have to do with the construction and build of the trousers?

Thanks for the critique...really appreciate it.

15. ericjens7

ericjens7 Active Member

There are quite a few problems with the fit of the coat.
    You have a low right shoulder that was not cut for. Hence the drag lines on the back right of the coat as well as the collapsing of the chest front and pull at the button. You also have square shoulders that were not accounted for and is causing the problems at you neck/collar. Finally, the coat is out of balance... The fronts are too long and the back too short. Hope this helps

16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

This has probably come up, but do we know who the tailor was on this soft navy 3pc?

17. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I knew the guy from the photo in life. He is nice bloke practicing medicine in Hong Kong.

I believe those suits and jackets are either made in Dream Bespoke, Brown's tailor.

I don't think those are from WW Chan or other travelling tailors.

18. zander86

zander86 New Member

Could anyone recommend me a few places to pick up thick and good quality MOP buttons in HK? Heard that Sham Shui Po have a couple of buttons shops but have no idea which to pay a visit. Are there any other alternative places beside Sham Shui Po?

Planning to pick some up there when I am there next week.

Thanks!

19. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Really the best one you can find are from the B&S thread in this forum.

20. seferphier

seferphier Well-Known Member

You can take a look at Hung To Button Company. It was recommended by Penfold in the HK Shirt Maker fourms: http://www.styleforum.net/t/405608/hong-kong-shirt-makers/15. I went there and bought a gross myself. They seem to understand a bit of English. Just specify you want MoPs. I have seen Lai and other tailor using their buttons. My 3mm MoPs were $250 per gross.

I found a new tailor shop in town called Suit Access (http://suitaccess.com/shop/). When I saw some of their pictures on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/suitaccesshk/), I was very skeptical whether they can deliver that level of quality. I visited the shop in person and I can say that the quality of their suits was superb. The most impressive aspect of their suits is their finishing - it is simply the best I have ever seen in HK.

The thing that irritates me the most about HK tailors is that you need to specify everything to them. If you don't, you would most likely receive a fused, half canvased suit. From what I've seen, Suit Access only does non fused (pad stitching) and full canvas suits, which is awesome. The only fused suits I've seen in their shop is their dummy suits. They make a dummy suit for every customer to make sure the cutting is satisfactory before they cut the actual fabric you ordered. Pretty impressive stuff.

Pad stitching:
    [​IMG]

Lapel roll
    [​IMG]

Milanese buttonhole:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finishing on the buttonholes are superb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015