1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. turin39789

turin39789 Member

I will dedicate more time to reading this wealth of information over the coming months. I will be in Hong Kong for 3-4 days next may, followed by 3-4 days in Shanghai. May route back through HK on my return flight. To the degree it is possible I want to take advantage of the opportunity to fill out my suiting needs. Would like to get a handful of suits, maybe a coat and a few slacks and ~6 dress shirts.

The last time I upgraded my style sense I went from the department store to Brooks Brothers, so I have a Navy pinstripe, Navy Blazer and a handful of slim fit shirts. I like a bargain, so looking to spend $800 USD per suit or less to match what I have spent in the past for OTR, but could be convinced otherwise. Very modern/slim fit doesn't work for my shape overall(broad shoulders/thighs) but I *think* I like a more modern look(natural shoulders, flat front, bias to slimmer). Young 30's, lift weights, should eat healthier.

Nowhere near the experts that you are, and concerned I won't be able to judge quality of work.

2. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

I like to try Gordon if i can afford in future.

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I think be generally happy on your trip to HK and SL is more important than worrying to buy the "correct" suit.

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Can you for once be less negative?

5. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Can you for once be less negativ

I am aiming to spend $6500 (US$800)for a new suit. Any suggestion ?

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

@ Hifilover

I recall my previous commission with Lai is around that figure.

However, I am not sure now whether Lai is still working under Car's umbrella.

7. obama

obama Well-Known Member

No. I talked to Lai a week ago. He moved to Jordan and work separately.

8. obama

obama Well-Known Member

;)

Haha. I presume "if" itself carries be meaning of possibility. Pretty neutral to me. ;P

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

So this has been a general and public consensus?

Well actually it is better because now he can visit me in my office at weekday, rather than going to SSP on weekends just for him (and possibly some street snack round the corner).

10. obama

obama Well-Known Member

Consensus? It is a fact. He even quoted me the new price after released from SSP.

Price lowered. The only drawback is lack of English communication and car's advice if you buy his style.

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Well I can only since I have heard something less concrete, I presume that you are right and more updated.

Also with the cheaper price, you cannot expect sale floor service.

Tailor's cyanide is often overly-stubborn and demanding customer, being in-call service only will kill of most of them.

That means less waiting time for me in future (hopefully).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  12. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

How many percent cheaper ?

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I genuinely do not recall. If you get a chance you can ask him.

14. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Should 10% cheaper as I heard?

15. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

How do you rate lai c-fu craftmanship and value of money ?

16. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

I havent commission from him yet but my coworkers do.

17. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Are your coworkers happy with lai ? Any other good alternatives at similar price range ?

18. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Consensus? It is a fact. He even quoted me the new price after released from SSP.

Price lowered. The only drawback is lack of English communication and car's advice if you buy his style.[/quote

I think it will be a saving because many local customers does not need any English for communication

19. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have not talked to Lai yet but here are my some observations in respect of Lai's service in the future.

Since Lai will be very likely to work on his own, that will mean:-

1) Price will probably be slightly lower.

2) Customer may enjoy no mark-up for cloth-inclusive services.

3) Communication can be more direct to Lai.

However there will be many drawbacks:-

1) No English assistance

2) Fitting and Measurements had to be done in private areas (e.g. customer's home and office)

3) Nil opportunity to see how the customer's garment is made given his accommodation is not for visit

4) The worst, if he went away that will be another "Darren B" incident.

So I suggest for those who only see the good part, also consider the bad part and see whether you can take it.

In my opinion, Lai's future service are solely catered for previous existing local clients who can provide space (not Lai's home) for fitting.

Perhaps it is the time for those mouth-watering new comers to move on?

20. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Dear Add911,

Base on what I heard, Car got from Lai is rather little for his space and service. Most Lai customers are cmt. Car fabric are mostly cheaper than cut length from merchant. He cannot make much on fabric too. Lai's health is going downwards and can produce very few suits per month. Maybe the true reason is car is getting really too low.