1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. GBR

GBR Senior member

Absolutely right: You cannot rank Henry Poole, Stephen Hitchcock or Anderson and Sheppard other than as equals, yet their coats let alone trousers are very different: Poole has a very structured style owing a great deal to their military background yet Hitchcock and A&S offer a very soft style.

You must choose which approach you prefer; the finished products will be equally as good.

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I had a DB linen suit made, in fact my first HK bespoke. It's a bit slouchy and relaxed and so probably not would be to your taste, but I like it.

3. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

4. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Peter Lee's cutting is good.

5. DRFTR

DRFTR New Member

I have been seeing a lot of props for Lai Sifu's work but cant, for the life of me, find where his workshop is in this thread. Is anyone able to tell me how I can visit him as well as what his prices are?

Thanks!

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Here is something new from Mr. Hui

LL Moss Green Shetland Tweed Sportscoat.

Fully lined, half belt, action back, four buttoned pockets

Now ready for final alteration (re-attach sleeve, buttonholes, waist tapper)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

p.s. I am now also making a 15oz flannel sb 3pc (chocolate chalkstripe by Harrison Burley) and 7oz db 2pcs (navy herringbone by Zegna 15milmil15), I shall make a full review in due course.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

It look pretty good, but IMHO, the belt should be an inch higher.
    And btw, you gain some weight recently ;P

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Haha yes I just notice the belt issue.

In respect of weight, I want to cry.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

@add911_11: not a fan of the look, but it's well executed and I commend you for your sartorial adventures :bigstar:

10. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Will you try other top Hong Kong Tailors such as H Baramon, Gordon Yao and AMHC in near future ?

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I understand now everything I like is within the norm of styleforum. However, I suspect there are fans which are more into the structured end of tailoring.

Thank you for your kind words.

I have no intention to try with any of the tailors as mentioned above. I knew one of the contractor of AMHC in any event.

In fact, I believe reviews of H Baramon, Gordan Yao and AMHC are done to death, perhaps they are not located in SF.

Again, I stress the point that if one try to use these 3rd party review as a bible to Hong Kong tailors then they are making a huge mistake. Best is for you to try it so you can be your own judge.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Dear add911 ,

I wish i can afford.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I see the point of informative reviews (such as those made by JefferyD), however for a consumer point of view the best is to visit the shop and see what they make.

I am aware that there is a delicate Gordon Yao thread in SF? AMHC can be search online. I am sure some members here who have used H Baramon will be able to say something.

For learning purposes, I cannot think of a better place then "the Cutter & Tailors Forum" and JefferyD's blog.

14. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Dear Add_911 ,

Meanwhile, my financial statement does not permit me to use any of top expensive tailors in Hong Kong.

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I understand not everyone can afford, let alone, a bespoke tailor.

However, I am suggesting if you want to see what other HK tailors can offer, look through my suggested website and search styleforum will give you a better idea.

There is nothing to blame for limited means.

If you truly want to learn about the craft, the aforesaid websites and blogs are well worth a visit, to prepare your next purchase when you can pay for better tailoring work.

I should inform you that many so called "top expensive tailors" will still dispatch poorly made items as long as the customer is clueless.

16. GBR

GBR Senior member

Another fine garment, you certainly have an eye for getting the best out of your selected tailors/cutters.

1 person likes this.
  17. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

Grand Tailor seems to be worth to check out.

18. GBR

GBR Senior member

Some of the worst are those on Saville Row - always worth examining the finish of the inside of the coat to judge the finishing.

19. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Baste Fittting - Grand Tailor ( Mr Hui)

The fitting was for a 14-15oz brown/grey Chalkstripe flannel by Harrison Burley. The design was a 3pc, with a three button fishmouth coat.

The Baste Fitting was also very informative, everything was attached for a useful session. Both Sleeves and all pleats are there for discussion.

From the Baste Fitting, It can be confirmed that the coat and the waistcoat will be fully canvassed. Since the fabric is firm enough on its own, Hui consider that interlining fusing is not needed.

Please noted that I did not have my dress shoes with me on that day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Another interesting issue is how neat Hui does their collar pad stitching, below is from my green 4- pocket coat.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.