1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Definitely not Milanese

Btw the pick stitching is not good enough.

2. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. What actual attributes would make it Milanese?

3. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

I'd be up for sharing any questions with him but I wouldn't want to inconvenience him any further than I already do.

4. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

So here are two normal buttonholes and one "Milanese" effort, all from HK tailors within the last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not able to provide a technical description of how the Milanese buttonhole is sewn but you'll see it is raised above the cloth and uses a distinctive silken thread.

PS - the PT buttonhole might be good but the rest of the jacket is not.

PPS - I can't spell...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

The PT buttonhole looks indeed pretty clean...

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Yeah that looks quite good. Dream promised me Milanese buttonholes but could not deliver. =[ Had no time or something. >.>

7. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

Maybe I'll cut the PT buttonhole out and glue it to something else...

8. hippotamus

hippotamus Senior member

wow, the PT buttonhole looks nice.

I know tailor would "outsource" (skill that is out of in-house staffs' skill) these task if they are specially requested by customer.

9. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

There have been whispers for ages of the lady (or is she just a myth?) who makes the Milanese buttonholes here in HK.

I heard that you have to find your way out of Tsim Sha Tsui MTR by the mysterious exit that is marked with just a pentagram instead of a letter, turn around three times while saying the words "Special Gimp, Special Gimp" over and over then click the heels of your shoes together and *poof* she appears and takes three weeks and $350 HKD to sew your buttonhole.

But I might be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

11. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

I just rofl~~

12. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

Would you mind tell us more about those three tailors apart from button hole?
    I did try GY and happy with it though a bit old fashioned cut.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  13. exodos

exodos Member

Sorry to interrupt the button hole topic. Has anyone got some recent experience with Baromon and a quote for a two-piece with their house fabric? Thanks.

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

There are people who can make really nice buttonholes in HK. I asked Lee Baron to put an extra set of buttonholes the sleeves of a Kiton Jacket, and they (or whoever they sent it to) did a great job.

15. tshirtandshorts

tshirtandshorts Member

So I went to Lee Baron yesterday and got measured and fitted. They showed me two fabrics and I chose VBC 2209 92, a 310 g. black wool & mohair. They asked me to come back at 4 pm for fitting. They seem to be working hard to get the tuxedo finished before I leave and still allow me to get a couple fittings in; very thankful for that. They asked me many questions during the fitting, but I'm afraid I was pretty out of it due to jet lag. I usually asked what they suggested and deferred to them, trusting that they would make me look my best. I asked to have natural shoulders with no padding, but they suggested minimal padding. I'll see how it looks on my fitting on Saturday and will take pictures then, but I'm feeling very confident in their abilities.

Will update in a couple days.

16. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

Minimal padding is probably better than no padding, especially for the first time they've ever tried to fit your body. Should allow for a cleaner shoulder line and to cover up any bumps.

Fabric sounds like a good choice - 10oz mohair/wool ought to be the sweetspot.

Did you go with a three-piece in the end?

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

17. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

18. tshirtandshorts

tshirtandshorts Member

Pen fold,

Yes, got the vest, and per your suggestion, got the cummerbund also. A couple of options never hurt anyone. :)

19. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I think the DJ is the one jacket that you'd really want a bit more padding/ structure in.

20. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

The most recent was a poster called @Bloomsbury2k visiting from Chicago over Chinese New Year who was measured and fitted by Gordon Yao, Baroman and WW Chan. IIRC he had to pay a bit of a surcharge owing to the holiday.

Check out some of his posts via http://www.styleforum.net/forums/posts/by_user/id/235193

I'm tagging him in this - apologies if this seems rude - because I think several of us would like to know how it came out. If you're there B2k, indulge some random guys off the internet with an update on your wardrobe please [​IMG]