The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Kenny Lo

Kenny Lo Active Member

According to the official website of RJW, they have an agent in Hong Kong, may be they can offer a retail service, or we can form a group buy of the canvas.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

It depends where your tailor located.....

In the Western world, it is easy since that's what they use.

However in Hong Kong, new tailor shops often don't have English canvass.

3. Mmmanmkii

Mmmanmkii Member

Hey guys,

Suit newbie here. So after getting some custom shoes done in Hong Kong and being very impressed I recently started craving a tailored suit to go along with them for my business/smart casual wardrobe. Lately I've been noticing some groupon deals for tailored suits that starts at $999 to around upper $4000 HKD and you get a general discount of 50% off.

Now usually this sends alarm bells ringing in my head, but then I thought about it a bit.

At M&S their 'good GY welted shoes' retailed around $1900HKD, but I got a custom pair of leather shoes with real GY welting and real whole grain French calf leather (opposed to that sanded leather crap) for $1700HKD and the custom pair shined up infinitely better than the M&S ones.

With that logic I thought it was improbable but not impossible to perhaps get a good deal on a o-k suit. At the very least it would still be cheaper than what I would get at M&S (their decent ones are around $1800 + $900 for blazer and trousers) with somewhat decent quality.

Anyways with that in mind I decided to get the $1288 deal (original price was around $4000 I think), but I think I will pay them a visit first then see if I can take up the offer by cash if things seem alright.

EDIT: on the event that this is a total trap (really it doesn't look that promising) which 90% it probably is; can anyone recommend me a good place to get a grey suit done for around $6000 local bucks? What should I look out for? I only know the difference between canvassed and fused and that's about it. At the moment I'm torn between Lee Baron (he's next to Zee's right?) and Dream Bespoke though I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

1700HKD for a pair of proper goodyear welted shoes is quite normal (think about Loake, Barker, etc). 999HKD for a proper suit is not normal however.

5. Mmmanmkii

Mmmanmkii Member

I guess my logic at the time was that since I had some nice shoes made (thanks Zee's!) shoe for roughly the same price as M&S then perhaps I can get a decent suit, compared to retail, made for roughly the same price.

Anyways I'm going to scope out the place for the entertainment value if anything.

The place is called Shaniel Fashions by the way and from the sound of the accent when I called them earlier, its run by Middle Easterners (not that its a bad thing).

Also I checked the Groupon site and golly damn, they sold 70 of those offers already. As in paid in full by credit card. Wow

EDIT: not much happening at work right now so I had a peek around SF, it seems I can get something decent from Lee Baron for $6000 but does anyone know how expensive are suits from Dream Bespoke?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior member

For members who are planning to do CMT in Hong Kong, I would like to share some information of fabric suppliers available here and the fabric they are selling:

1) Hang Hong Woollen, Tel : 2739 5271,
    Zegna , Dormeuil , Scabal , Holland Sherry

2) Kwong Hing Piece Good Tel : 2369 4102
    Scabal , Doemeuil, VBC , E Thomas , Fintex

3) Long Wear Hong, Tel : 2734 3625
    Loro Piana and VBC

7. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

I used to use WWChan exclusively but this was the first time I visited HK and decided to try 2 highly recommended tailors, Dream Bespoke and Gordon Yao.

So now I have three places to compare workmanship. In a few, I will post pics of the workmanship however I can start by comparing the three tailors.

It's hard to compare them one on one because the Dream Bespoke and Gordon Yao was rush jobs based on my one and a half week stay in HK where as my WWChan suit was all ordered from their tours in which they take up to 3 months to mail the finished suits back

Of the three places, I have to say WWChan has the best handwork of the three. The buttonholes on my WWChan suits are without questions finer and done with more skill. The armholes, lining attachments are obviously cleaner then Gordon and Dream. I also find that WWChan suit overall is much much softer in construction which is what this forum favors

At Gordon Yao, I was able to do two fittings so the fit is spot on. I think Gordon prefers a structured suit so the finished product is a bit more "stiff" when compared WWChan. The buttonholes are very nice but not to the level of WWChan. The inside pockets are hand done and arm and lining attachment is quite nice but again, just under the level of WWChan. Again, a caveat, this suit was done relatively quickly so it's not a one to one comparison. I will order again from Gordon on this upcoming tour so when I get that suit, I can do a more unbiased comparison. Pick stitching is not as uniform as WWChan but still very nice.

The Dream Bespoke suit I think is more machine-made, hence their lower prices. The inside pockets are from my eyes machine done but everything else is still hand work. The buttonholes are definitely no where in the league with WWChan and Gordon. The suit is also slighter more stiffer then Gordon. Pick stitching is not bad though.

More insights: WWChan is definitely a more "modern tailor" meaning soft soft soft and in default styling will refer to what is in-line with fashion more so then Gordon. I really like the cut of my Gordon suit. It really fits like a glove but it is a bit more stiff and the handwork is slightly under WWChan but will continue to work with him and create my ideal suit. So I would argue that Gordon is a bit more old school. Dream Bespoke even though is run by the relatively young Ricky produced what I would consider more old-fashioned but again it maybe because the assumptions I took for granted with WWChan and Gordon I would need to specify more with Ricky. The workmanship and details are very similiar to my dad's suit done in the mid 70's but obviously the cut and silhouette is relatively modern

From my comparison and dealings in Hong Kong, for the cheaper places, I think one needs to specify exactly everything where as with the top tier ones, details that this forum favors are pretty much default. Can Dream put out a suit on par with WWChan, I think so but it will require more communication and working with them to come to the level one expects by default when dealing with WWChan. However if one looks for handwork as a huge selling factor, WWChan is the place to go. Dream Bespoke is definitely the place to go to get workhorse suits. Reserve WWChan and Gordon Yao for your finer suits

8. aton

aton Active Member

Hitman, wow what a lengthy analysis!
    Wonder if you could upload some snaps to support your arguments?
    Thanks

9. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

x2

10. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Very good and detail report. :fonz:

I think most of the Hong Kong tailors can do better if you ask them to do so. Their mind set always are quick business, quick money. That is their default mode.
    Also they think if the client didn't ask for, why give them the best? It take more time and skill to do the work.
    However, if you tell them, or they know that you request the best, they will try to do their best. however, they will ask for little more $$, fair enough.

I don't know is it because I bring in my own canvas, my DB suit is softer than my GY. I can be sure if you tell Ricky, he will more than happy to make a softer suit for you.
    In terms of craftmanship on details, I agreed WWChan is better, at lease for what I saw two years ago. However, too many pals complaint that their craftmanship is dropping.

And I think if you consider the price difference between DB and WWChan, then I think it is fair to say DB is a pretty good deal.

11. aton

aton Active Member

Agree.
    So many newcomers creat account to join the war of words or to do promotion. Waste of time.

12. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Yes absolutely!

A VBC 10/11oz at Gordon cost 9980HKD/$1280 US while the same fabric at Dream Bespoke is roughly 6800HKD/$880 US. $400 is nothing to sneeze at!. I have no clue what WWChan prices are now but I assume they are more then Gordon ever since they moved from Nathan Rd. to Central.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

So who actually are? I doubt that you are independent as you claim.

14. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Guess we all are intelligent enough to take forum posts with a pinch of salt :)

15. aton

aton Active Member

Really hope that the non-constructive war of words can end now, if not sooner.
    IMO, though HK is a free market, Caveat Emptor as your seemingly "friend" may be without disclosure earning commissions from your CMT etc. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2014