Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Rip off?

2. Kenny Lo

Kenny Lo Active Member

yes

3. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

A member here PM me and said the cutter of PL left and start his own business.

Any one try out yet?
    I would like give him a try. The only concern is I never hear anything from this tailor.

4. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Hahaha, I think i know who PM you.
    I talk to Peter last week, but he said that Sifu didn't leave, he just start to take order by himself.
    But for what I heard from other forumer, the price is not cheap, almost same CMT price of Dream bespoke.
    Go to try if you want to have an experience.
    But mind you the turnover time is very slow from what I heard

Last edited: May 1, 2014

5. Alex-ModaR

Alex-ModaR Affiliate Vendor

Hi Kenny, I'm really sorry if you had a bad experience with us. This is the first that I've heard about your story but from what I asked my staff they said they offered you a remake? If this isn't the case do let me know and I'd be happy to offer you one now for half canvas (even though your order was from August 2013). Just so you are aware our in store suits start at $350 USD because it is fused (due to the high demand for cheaper suits by our clientele) while our website suits are all half canvas. Because of this fact we do have a surcharge for half and full canvas. I'm also surprised that you said our prices are high as they are considerably cheaper than our competitors. Furthermore we do offer CMT but there was a period of time where we stopped it. At any rate I'm sorry about your bad experience with us and if you wanted to remake your suit do let me know.

6. BigbigJohnny

BigbigJohnny Well-Known Member

The guy told me can complete the suit within 2 weeks.

I have enough suits at my wardrobe and do not need the new suit in rush. I don't mind wait for more than a month.

I know DB price is attractive but they were very busy. the owner served other clients when I popin every-time.

7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I just report back what my friends told me.
    Since he still has suit in Sifu hands and not complete for months.
    Yea, DB is very busy whenever I pop in :)

8. Kenny Lo

Kenny Lo Active Member

I received one news from DB, my friend also have to wait for 2 month

9. Kenny Lo

Kenny Lo Active Member

O, just realize that the PM message from MODA to me being posted here. So let me also post my reply.

Alex, my suit is not the lower range suit in your shop, and I told your tailor and your sales that I don't want a fused suit, they said its ok. However, at the day i take the suit, your staff told me that it is a fused one. And he said that he cant make any changes this time, if i want a full canvas one just pay more 800 for it. I am sure that i will pay 800 more for the full canvas one if he tell me in advance.
    its true that you cheaper than the top end tailor in HK, but not the mid level one. And the fabric you use is 2-3 fold then the original price.
    I dont think I will remake my suit anymore.
    Sorry about that

10. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Maybe I can explain the delivery time. Before Lai sifu become independant last month. He was full time employee for a shenzhen workshop whose boss is a HK guy. The workshop received orders from ten tailor shops in HK. Lai sifu's responsibilty is a fitter for two tailor shops. One of them is Peter Lee / Lee Baron. Peter Lee gave an order to Lai's boss and Lai will follow up.

Why Lai sifu took so long time before because he had to moonlight for his own customers. After his direct customers grow to a certain number. He select to resign from his workshop boss and started on his own last month. After one month concentrating on his own customers. He will completed all all outstanding orders within early next week. After he became independent, Peter Lee still subtract orders to him instead of to his boss previously. His present CMT maybe similar to Dream but he did offer canvass vest instead of fused one. He also do CMT half canvass at a cheaper price too. As he told me, after he clear up all outstanding orders, generally speaking, he can finish a suit include fitting within 2 weeks

11. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

So, if I order 2pcs suit, what is the advantage then?

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

You get the suit in 2 weeks

13. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

haha, you are right, my friend! :fonz:

Happy Labor day! Although it is not Labor day in States today!

Last edited: May 1, 2014

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

BTW, Dragon, do you know where I can get the Alumo catalog?

15. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Now, Lai sifu delivery time is relatively fast. He also do half -canvass at cheaper price.

Whether you like his work or not is completely personal taste. You will have no advantage as to his other customers.

Did you make a suit from Dream Bespoke? Please give us own own personal comment.