• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of the HK Tailors recommended in this thread, would any particular one of them be better for a more modern silhouette like a Thom Browne or Dior (fitted, skinny lapel, sharper angles)? From what I've seen most of them seem to be a little more traditional.

Also, would any of them be recommended for knocking off blazers from some more avant garde labels (eg, Rick Owens, _Julius, etc) especially as it relates to the more unusual fabrics these brands tend to use?

Thanks in advance.
I would use WW Chan for that request as Patrick would be more in tune with what you're looking for

ruzzi

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a shirt tailor in hk that will do slim (not skinny) fit, say similar to a RLBL style?

i've tried jantzen and they banned me as I was too pedantic :)

looking to pay up to $1000HKD per shirt? i think ww chan would be out of my price range

bgk

Reaction score
I'm a very satisfied PL customer and re shrinkage, yes he takes into account when the shirt is made up, bit larger, and I believe he said the fabric shinks up rather than in (ie shortens rather than narrows) altho I may have that the other way around. Either way if you consult him on it he can make adjustments to make sure it doesn't happen, although I did get one shirt that shrunk too much on the sleeves. I've had about 15 shirts made from him and three suits.

vinveritas

Reaction score
bgk, what fabrics did you choose and how much does PL charge for shirts nowadays? I'm considering dropping by when I visit HK this year. Thanks.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basic house fabrics were still at HKD 280 last time I visited in June. Linen shirts were at around HKD650-700, with other cottons between those points depending on quality.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in HK have any recommendations for places to shorten ties?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about someone to do nice hand sewn buttonholes please? I had to make alterations to a Borrelli jacket and now need an extra buttonhole put in. The existing ones are super nice and the alterations tailor can't handle it.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
What might one expect to pay for a navy blazer at WW Chan, or from Peter Lee? Sorry, I searched around without success!

effers

Reaction score

What might one expect to pay for a navy blazer at WW Chan, or from Peter Lee? Sorry, I searched around without success!

Also interested for sport coat fabrics such as tweed!

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't speak for Peter Lee, but what you would pay for a navy blazer from Chan would depend on the fabric. For something like VBC 110, probably somewhere around $850. For good British fabrics the prices would probably start in the neighborhood of $1,000 (US).

You could, of course, e-mail Chan for more precise information.

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the estimates and your suggestion, JLib! I will email Chan about it.

Angleton

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the protocol of posting questions here without contributing first, but I'm off to Hong Kong on Thursday and have some pressing questions. So, sorry in advance.

I've done some trawling here, and there are indeed some superb threads for advice on Hong Kong tailors. WW Chan appears to be seen as the gold standard, but my circumstances don't really justify going there. I've recently lost about 30 pounds in weight, and thus none of my suits fit me. I'm therefore looking for at least three, and preferably four, suits, plus probably one or two blazers, two overcoats and enough shirts and ties to mix and match with the suits. Alas, while personally, I'd love to go to Chan and get all that, Mrs Angleton will go crazy if I spend HKD10,000-and up per suit when buying in that kind of bulk.

A friend recommended Lord's tailor, but I couldn't get through. Their sister shop, Charms, said that their suits would be HKD4,500, which is right in my price range. However, I haven't seen either tailor mentioned once on here.

Jantzen, who I'd really rather go to, haven't responded to an email, so I'm not sure whether they'll be able to complete my order within the seven days I'm there, or indeed, how much they cost these days.

So, I'm looking for either recommendations within that price range (no more than HKD5,000 per suit), a rough idea on how much Jantsen would charge, or confirmation that Lords and Charms are, indeed, good places to go. I understand that I won't get a Saville Row-quality experience for that, but I do want a good quality suit that represents value for money.

Again, sorry for taking advantage of your expertise when I'm brand new to the forum, but I have looked through all the threads listed here, and can't see any answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads